Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old December 12th, 2003, 05:07 AM   #1
ViperAce
Bad Email Address

Default New Viper Obsevation

Since I had not seen mention of this here before ... after re-watching several times ... it appears we can look forward to a future with both Vipers should this BSG continue. If you review, during the Viper fleet's return to Galactica, just before the "jump" & Starbuck's heroic save of Apollo, take a close look at the rear design of the ships shown. Two of them are the newer models. i have not taken the time to compare these with the rear designs shown in "part 1" ... but they are definately different...

~ViperAce
ViperAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2003, 05:29 AM   #2
lordpenquin
Shuttle Pilot

Yes. I noticed that too. They are the new mark VIIs. It was mentioned earlier that the newer models that were due a refit or overhaul were not affected by the cylons disable weapon.
There might also be a way to disable the newer electronics or downgrade the computer so it works just as well.
Old December 12th, 2003, 10:34 AM   #3
jeditemple
Bad Email Address

I thought Baltar had made some recommendations, based on his analysis of the Cylon attack. And then they adjusted the Vipers -- basically, a software "downgrade."
jeditemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2003, 02:26 PM   #4
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

uhmmm... I don't see two kinds of mark IIs. Looks to me like they just fixed the advanced viper and got it in the air.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2003, 02:56 PM   #5
GreenBear
Bad Email Address

Default Interesting

It could be interesting to see how they work together or if they'll assign them different tasks in the fleet. I assume the new ones must be faster or something but which ones will be easier to maintain?

I suppose they have a machine shop because they can't go down to the Colonial Walmart for new parts...
GreenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2003, 06:18 PM   #6
Intersun

I liked that they had to raid the museum to get fighters ... as for the few un-destroyed Mark VII vipers ...

Accordingto Baltar they just needed to have Windows XP removed and Windows 3.1 re-installed then they would be fine and #6's virus would be gone.

F
Old December 18th, 2003, 06:54 PM   #7
CanisD

They may have been part of the survivor fleet. Earlier, before the Cylons attack, there appear to be several vipers visible in the fleet. One could assume these were the few survivors of various ambushes.
Old December 19th, 2003, 05:56 AM   #8
Ara
Shuttle Pilot

Ha! Windows XP, love it.

Did anyone catch the battlestar name on Apollos new Viper tail? He wasn't stationed on Galactica, so where was he from?
Ara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2003, 07:02 PM   #9
Sci-Fi
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally posted by Ara
Did anyone catch the battlestar name on Apollos new Viper tail? He wasn't stationed on Galactica, so where was he from?
Didn't see any name on the tail, only markings were "2276" on the nose and Apollo's arm patch was pretty much unreadable. Thinking about it now, why wasn't Apollo flying his own Viper MK VII during the escape battle? Lt. Gaeta did say he was ordering a purge of Baltar's nav program from all the new vipers and a few MK VII's were seen during the combat landings. It would have been nice to see the differences in weapons fire and/or capabilities. Don't believe any of the scenes showed a MK VII firing its weapons.
Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2003, 08:53 PM   #10
callsignfalcon
Warrior

lol! XP.... great analogy!
callsignfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2003, 09:19 PM   #11
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

I have windows XP, and it sucks.Have a great and costly art program that I can't even run...studio MAX 3.1. Anyway I dis-like the new designs. And the supposed older model viper, mk.II I think just is to fragile looking.
BlueSquad2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2003, 02:19 PM   #12
dec5
Warrior

Default IMO

The new vipers looked based on the F 16 Falcon. Grey,bubble canopy and sharp nose.....

The Mark II looked like the old Saber jet fighters...or even the old THUDs....hee hee.
dec5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2003, 03:50 PM   #13
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

This is a good observation that I had'nt noticed before. Nice chatting with you dec5
Old December 22nd, 2003, 08:23 PM   #14
BenRoethig
Just Lost My Cherry!

The MK VIIs were part of the survivors fleet. There's a couple scenes of them flying CAP over the fleet. There's also a scene at the end of four Mk VIIs flying across Galactica's Port Bow.
BenRoethig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2003, 09:23 AM   #15
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

I still love the classic. And the De Santo Viper I'm working on is cool also.
Old January 1st, 2004, 05:22 AM   #16
Synther

Quote:
Originally posted by Intersun
I liked that they had to raid the museum to get fighters ... as for the few un-destroyed Mark VII vipers ...

Accordingto Baltar they just needed to have Windows XP removed and Windows 3.1 re-installed then they would be fine and #6's virus would be gone.

F

LMAO...yes, this quote is perfect. Take the software out, downgrade, put it back in, works fine. Sounds like the last computer system I setup.

Microsoft = Cylons

Makes perfect sense to me. Evil bastards!