Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old December 11th, 2003, 10:37 PM   #1
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Default how to make the two battlesars live together

I submitted this idea once to Moore, but I never got a reply back. But I always thought it was possible to link the two stories together.

This idea expands upon an old thread here.

Quote:
A lone Basestar, one of many, searches for the human’s fleet lost many years ago. Their course is set by the best estimate of humanity’s last known heading.

The Cylons find a primitive planet. It is earth. No real defences. Not from an attack from above their world.

The cylons devastate city after city. New York, Moscow, Los Angeles, Toronto….

But when all is lost, and our cries for surrender ignored, we are saved by a lone Battlestar named Galactica. (The old one from the original series)

The colonials have been watching and learning about us. Preparing for that first contact. They have been preparing to disappear into our civilization. To lose their identities into our masses. But the appearance of the cylons have changes everything..

The Galactica crushes the Basestar easily, but the cylons now know about earth. The colonail rag tag fleet has nowhere left to run. No place to go to. The holy land couldn’t repel a single lone basestar. And by now the cylons will be sending an armada.

A hurried new alliance is formed between earth and her lost brothers. Preparations are made. A few years pass.

A HUGE fleet of Basestars approach a star system. A Terran/Colonial fleet sails to engage them. There hasn’t been time to complete new Terran Battlestars. So the fleet mostly consists of the old ragtag fleet, armed to the teeth with missles and fightercraft. New tactics are used. ECM jams the cylon targeting systems.

The battle is bloody. Many good people die. But the battle does not go well so the Terrans begin a new strategy, a dark form of nuclear berseker/kamikaze attacks. Ship after ship is rammed or detonated to decimate the cylon fleets. No thought is given to saving lives, even on their own side. The colonials are horrified at the callous loss of life. But the tactic is affective. They buy time until the cylons can send another fleet.

The second attack comes. But the new Battlestars are able to repel the attack

But its only a diversion. The cylons after seeing the brutality of humans in the last attack have determined that humans must be eliminated. They are a threat to the whole universe. They deploy a new weapon against earth. Huge missles rain down on earth, they strike deep into her surface and drill down. Then they simultaneously go off, and the concussive force drives off the upper layer of the earth crust into space. Earth is destroyed.

But the new battlestars escape destruction.

We take the war back to the original colonies.

The Galactican fleet decide to liberate Caprica first. But the people there for the most part can’t even remember the colonists. Few are older than 25. And they believe the colonists are the enemy they have been waiting for. Its more a cult than a human world now. And they choose genocide over freedom from the cylons.

The Colonial Fleet realizes THERE IS NO WAY TO FREE THE COLONIES.

The colonists have no choice. So they begin a policy of containment. All the colonies become a quarantine zone. Nothing enters or leaves. Anything that tries is destroyed. Outside of this all cylons are terminated. But within the original colonies cylons rule over the exiled worlds. (This is where Moore’s new cylons come from)

With earth gone, new colonies are formed. A new Caprica. A new Piscon. Etc. And Humanity thrives. A millennium passes.

In the new struggle to rebuild the human race much has been forgotten. Names of heroes like Starbuck, Athena, Apollo, have become more like myths and legends. Hot pilots use the names for their call signs. And one of the original Terran Battlestars, which was named Galactica II in honor of its predecessor, is about to be mothballed.

The cylons and the humanity have merged into together. The cylons have become more human. Humans have given up their bodies to become machine. And their memory of their origins are blurred. They now see themselves as decended from the colonists.

And a long distance away, in a far away star system a planet badly damaged begins to heal…

There is an old legend, a theory about how the universe likes to repeat itself. But perhaps its more complex. The destiny of civilizations are predetermined. And not only does history like to repeat itself, the players of the game are reassembled to play out their roles again, with the chance to change the outcome.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2003, 04:46 AM   #2
ViperAce
Bad Email Address

I have to say this is well thought and extremely intriguing concept!!! Although I think there would have been an equal amount of distaste from many fans, both old and new, on this concept, you certainly show how far the Galactica can be taken, whether with the original premise, or the new!!! I'd certainly love to see this!!!

As a side note to the feasibility of this idea ... we all need to keep in mind that the mini covered their collective backsides in the closing of the story by the Cylons discussing how long it "could" take to track down humanity! i have a feeling they knew it could take years, and the loss of currently committed actors/actresses to bring around a continuation.
ViperAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2003, 06:39 AM   #3
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Tom. I like this concept.

What you have here could be 2 fold.

1. Obviously Moore and company already made the new series and that has to be considered cannon.
2. The obvious going back theory of another series and telling of the story on how this progressed into the show we see today.

My question is this. What *story* would you like to see? The present Moore series or the prequel.

Old December 12th, 2003, 06:51 AM   #4
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Hey guys, here's a very interesting fan-fic that i read a while back. I just found it again after some digging. It was written by Robert Hanczyk a while back. It's entitled "The Original Galactica finds Earth". Obviously discounting G80 alltogether.

This little fan-fic i would kill to see made. And how he wrote it really makes you think.

Enjoy!

http://w1.877.telia.com/~u87705210/g...c/btlstars.txt
Old December 13th, 2003, 12:55 PM   #5
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

I think it is a great idea.
I'd have watched it for sure, but i'd have watched whichever incarnation that came out anyway.

Probibly tho ViperAce it correct and the idea would have been accepeted by even fewer people than the mini.

Those who thought the original was hoakey would not have watched becasue of it's direct tie in. And core fanfom would not have accepted it becasue it was not set 25 years after The Hand of God.

I knew that I could never again raise my voice against the violence of the oppressed in the ghettos without having first spoken clearly to the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today -- my own government....
~ Dr. Martin Luther King ~

I can hear God saying to America: “You are too arrogant! If you don't change your ways, I will rise up and break the backbone of your power!"
~ Dr. Martin Luther King ~
Hito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2003, 12:53 PM   #6
callsignfalcon
Warrior

Default Hmm

That'd be a great concept... at least for a fanfic to try to make everyone 'coexist'.... just how whould you write it over such a broad timeline... and explain it O.o
callsignfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2003, 03:09 PM   #7
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

actually its not meant really altering the mini. I would suggest that deep down in their bible they write in a few lines that keep this option open. The BG show's premise means they are heading for earth. So what happen's when we get there? Or when they get here? You can't have them just merge into our population seemelessly. (well you could but...) And what happens to the Cylon force looking for them? After numerous encounters with the fleet, they must have a good sense of the direction they are heading.

You don't have to reveal that it is all one continium. You can just leave the door open. And reveal it as a shocker much latter on.

Old December 16th, 2003, 02:31 PM   #8
sdwebguy

Default You Totally Lost Me

You lost me on how this links the old show with the mini...or maybe thats not what you were suggesting?! A little help, please?
Old December 16th, 2003, 03:35 PM   #9
Yminale
Bad Email Address

I also would like to know WHY both series must be connected in some way. Why can't they exist in parallel universes. It's almost like some desperate attempt for TOS purist to exert some influence on the new series. I say let both series go their seperate ways and let the chips fall where they may.
Yminale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 08:04 PM   #10
GreggAllinson
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally posted by Yminale
I also would like to know WHY both series must be connected in some way. Why can't they exist in parallel universes.
That's the way I look at it. The situation's actually somewhat analogous to the Earth-1/Earth-2 situation at DC back in the 50s. Earth-1 was the "current DC universe", with guys like Barry Allen as the Flash and Hal Jordan as Green Lantern. Totally unconnected new characters with new costumes using the old names...but then we found out the original WWII-era Jay Garrick Flash and Alan Scott Green Lantern came from Earth-2, where they continued to live and fight crime (albiet in slightly aged form). The Earth-1 Justice League and Earth-2 Justice Society became good friends, and met up every year to fight interdimensional menaces.

I would *kill* to see a second or third season two-parter or TV-movie where a timewarp somehow brings the two Galacticas together. Lots of potential there...can you imagine how Apollo would react to seeing his father alive again, even in a different form? Starbuck trying to pick "himself" up? I think it'd be a lot of fun, and give the new mini some legitimicy. Too bad Moore's too hung up on "realism" and trying to be innovative to even consider an "alternate universe" storyline...
GreggAllinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 08:16 PM   #11
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Default Re: You Totally Lost Me

Quote:
Originally posted by sdwebguy
You lost me on how this links the old show with the mini...or maybe thats not what you were suggesting?! A little help, please?
if you reread it, its in there. The old galactica leads into the new series with say a couple a hundred years.

You can easily go with two different and seperate versions. If that's what people want, that's what will happen. Hopefully. Scifi Channel tends not to listen to fans.

Old December 16th, 2003, 08:31 PM   #12
Yminale
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally posted by GreggAllinson
I would *kill* to see a second or third season two-parter or TV-movie where a timewarp somehow brings the two Galacticas together. Lots of potential there...can you imagine how Apollo would react to seeing his father alive again, even in a different form? Starbuck trying to pick "himself" up? I think it'd be a lot of fun, and give the new mini some legitimicy. Too bad Moore's too hung up on "realism" and trying to be innovative to even consider an "alternate universe" storyline...
UGHH!! NO They did is in Red Dwarf and it wasn't funny.
Yminale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 09:42 PM   #13
GreggAllinson
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally posted by Yminale
UGHH!! NO They did is in Red Dwarf and it wasn't funny.
Actually, it was. Parallel Universe is a classic (I loved the Dog!).

But seriously, I think a skilled writer could pull it off without turning it into self-parody or anything like that. As I said, you could have some fun with it, but I'd also imagine there'd be some drama inherant in the classic Galactica gang being horrified by how dark this other universe is and, like I said, you could do something with Apollo trying to deal with his emotions over seeing a different version of his father alive and well.
GreggAllinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 09:54 PM   #14
callsignfalcon
Warrior

A few other shows (star trek) did this a few times... i aggree it ONLY works if there's a good writer and a good story availible for it... but if it could be pulled off and everyone aggreed to do it, I wouldn't mind watching it... heck I love time travel fanfics i would love to see a show do it well!
callsignfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2003, 12:25 PM   #15
Antelope

Default Make it Easy

The original Galactica finds Earth. The cylons don't. Earth learns about the Galactica and their colonial history. We gain the technology of the colonist. Earth colonizes the nearby star systems and names them after the lost homeworlds. We build up a big military in case cylons appear. They finally come after 1,000 (pick a number) years have passed. We have a war and an armistice. We get the current Battlestar Galactica miniseries. New Galactica searches for lost colony of Earth (Complete the circle and call it Kobol).