Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old March 12th, 2003, 07:47 AM   #1
N Aviator 71

Default I'd like to share my letter to TPTB

Seeing as how I'm relatively new to this forum, I thought I'd share my letter that I wrote to Barry Diller during the week of the first Galactica Marathon in Feb.

--------------------------
Dear Mr. Diller:

I have been watching the Battlestar Galactica marathon on the Sci-Fi Channel. I am very pleased to see the original show back on the air, if only for a brief time. I am ecstatic that so many viewers have been given a chance to see this fantastic television program again. I am also aware of the proposed re-make of the property as a new mini-series. However, I must protest this treatment of the property. From the slowing of the battlestargalactica.com web site during the marathon, to the overwhelming participation in the Battlestar Galactica forum on the Sci-Fi channel's web site, I cannot imagine that there is not enough interest even after almost 25 years to continue the series using the original cast and themes. I know of no other television program that ran for so short a time and has continually generated so much interest. I have been captivated by this show since I can remember it in my early childhood and have followed the revival effort since 1995. I know that others have been working to bring back Battlestar Galactica for almost a quarter century. To this day, in its original form, Battlestar Galactica continues to attract new fans and exists vividly in the memories of many of those who I speak with on a daily basis.

I am going to outline briefly what I believe made the original series special. It was the mythological ties to the Earth's ancient past that appealed to people's interest in the knowledge of civilization's origins. This was reflected in everything from the costumes to the names of the races of man, the ships, and the characters. For this reason, replacing the original character's names with Christian ones does not make any sense. Secondarily, but just as important to the atmosphere of the show, is the music composed by Stu Phillips that complimented many of the special effect shots in which so many majestic ships were seen. Finally, the characters were noble in their mindsets and actions. I believe that Battlestar Galactica, a show with a name that is so well known and therefore will be seen by a wide audience, will have a great strength if it presents characters that are worthy by their actions of the fame that they will receive. From what I have read of the new characters in reviews of the proposed re-make script, I do not find them to be worthy of holding in such great esteem.

I realize that times change, and it becomes necessary to update an entertainment property both stylistically and to fit the culture of the present day. For this reason, the re-make concept has a considerable amount of credibility. However, I urge you not to forsake the existing and readily available fan base for a new one. I believe that if a direct continuation using the original cast is not a viable option at this point, that a prequel that preserves the original Battlestar Galactica series will satisfy the pre-existing fan base while attracting new viewers. Adapting Mr. Ronald D. Moore’s concept for Battlestar Galactica for either a prequel appears to be a wonderful way of mixing the old with the new while remaining on the cutting edge of science fiction.

I ask you to please preserve the universe of Battlestar Galactica as set forth by the original series. I hope that someday there will be a direct continuation of the original Battlestar Galactica, but for now I would be very satisfied with a prequel. Thank you for your time and taking a few moments to hear my opinion.

-------------------

As for me, I am a long time original series BSG fan and am finishing a masters degree these days in aerospace engineering. BSG influenced my dreams and career choices in a huge way, even though I only first saw it when it was already a re-run. I try to collect BSG memorabilia whenever I can get my hands on it. I'm eagerly anticipating the "good news", as alluded to in the past few days. When I get a break in my writing, I'm hooked on the suspense here! Thanks!

Matt (AKA "NA")

PS: Do we have any LEGO builders here? ....cause I got some pictures coming of a 3 ft long Battlestar I built this winter and I can't wait to develop them....
Old March 12th, 2003, 09:41 AM   #2
LucianG
Warrior

Matt,

Nice letter. Your thoughts seem to be close to those of many of the rest of us. If things are indeed changing in the Black Towers as we suspect, it is the outpouring of support for the original series by many people such as yourself that is causing the change of heart by those in charge.

Please post the photo of your Lego Galactica when it is available. I think many of us would love to see it.

Also, are you writing on your thesis? I vaguely remember that time in my life, but for some reason, I have succeeded in blocking much of that period from my mind! Maybe it was the lack of sleep at the time...

Take care,

Tony

"Tilting at the SciFi windmill"
LucianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2003, 09:47 AM   #3
N Aviator 71

Tony,

Oh yes, it's a thesis! So, you do know how long it takes to do one of these things... Thankfully, I'm almost done!

Matt
Old March 12th, 2003, 10:04 AM   #4
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Your letter is thoughtful and well presented.
And i think makes a better case for oldschool fans than a lot of arguments i have seen .

I used to make LEGO vipers all the time when i was a kid.
And i almost had a launch tube once as well but i ran out of blocks.
Hito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2003, 10:24 AM   #5
N Aviator 71

Hito,

Thanks! I hope what we get in the end is so superior that it makes everyone happy. From what I've heard speculated on this and the "other" forum, we might just!

I've heard that Lego builders don't retire, they just go on hiatus. I always wanted to do it, and this was pretty much the last chance for some time. Besides, it was winter break and I had to get it out of my system. Then there's the fully transformable Veritech fighter I made a few years back!!

Matt
Old March 12th, 2003, 10:27 AM   #6
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

You MUST post pictures of the VT if u still have them
I've gotta see it.
Hito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2003, 10:32 AM   #7
N Aviator 71

Hito,

Sorry, maybe this summer! I didn't take any and it's about 2500 miles away right now. If I take them, you can bet I'll post it!

Matt