Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old March 24th, 2004, 05:27 AM   #31
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

Yes it is. I almost forgot that one
S
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2004, 06:45 AM   #32
gmd3d
Major

thanks Gforce I know the site and it's cool.
have you seen the Galactica in it only 610 meters or 2000 ft long I would like to see the Galactica at the 6080 ft long or a mile long on the same page, which i think is the same size as the stardestroyer. anyway 6080 is the size im going with as it was Glen Larson orignal idea.
As I am working on the internal look of the Galactica and im looking for as much info as i can, I know the viper launch tubes are 16 ft in diameter as calulated by
Todd Boyce which is good enough for me i am looking for how long the launch tubes are. even a guess would be great.
one of the problems I have is the differance we see when a Viper land and a shuttle lands or taking off. there lost more head room when a shuttle launches.

repcisg wrote
Quote:
As I recall a shuttle is 100 ft long, 40 ft wide and 50ft high, or there abouts
that size sounds right and works with todd boyce site
Quote:
The Battlestar Galactica Scrapbook mentions that Dykstra's team extrapolated the length of a the shuttle from the size of the windows to be 110 feet. For practical purposes, the art director arbitrarily cut the scale in half and a 33 foot long section of the shuttle was built.
well thats what im working on and im already lossing hair so If anyone has any Idea that will help it would be great. "westy" schematic is fantastic and is giving me a lot more to go on. so anyhoo there the scales im working with. the 6080ft Galactica and 100/110 shuttle 28.5ft vipers

SO IDEAS ANY AT ALL ARE WELCOME AND I WILL INCLUDE THEM IF POSSABLE
have a look a westy's site http://www.mortalstorm.com/

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2004, 10:21 PM   #33
Westy
Warrior

Based on a 6,080 foot length for the Galactica, here are some other dimensions:

Launch tubes:
Diameter: 22'-6"
Length: 101'-6"

Launch Bay Entrance:
Width: 146'-0"
Height: 32'-0"

Launch Tube elevation above Bay floor height: 13'-9"

I got all these dimension right off my 3D model. Seems there's some unrealistic stuff here, mostly the landing bay entrance dimensions.
Westy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2004, 01:16 AM   #34
gmd3d
Major

thanks for the dimensions, the landing bay is giving me a headache trying to peace it together. and if the shuttles are 50 ft in Height and 110 ft long..
well you see my problem!

Old March 29th, 2004, 02:25 AM   #35
Westy
Warrior

Yeah, must be some creative liberty taken in the show. Probably cuz it looked good. I'd throw caution to the wind and just make the shuttle smaller.
Old March 29th, 2004, 05:30 AM   #36
gmd3d
Major

good idea as far as I know the shuttle used in the show the builders made it to 33ft long. so i might spilt the 110 feet and make her 50ft.
well anyway im going to work on a number of variations of the landing bay using differant scales the headache are starting again :laugh:

I will keep working on anyway

Old April 1st, 2004, 02:46 PM   #37

Question books notes

in the novels i think in number 12 or 13 they say the battlestar is HHHHHUUUUGGGGGHHHHH over a mile long i think its as big as a stardestoryer they must had more than 12 too becuse your lucky if you can keep one third of your ships in the fight think they were in shock aftre cains death and that is way they went for peacelarge enuff for cains ship to hold 300 fighters SORCE THE LIVING LEGEND WHEN THEY TOOK ON (900)RAIDERS FROM THOSE THREE BASE SHIPS :norats: have a CCCCCOOOOLLDDD ////????????one well be back
Old April 2nd, 2004, 08:19 PM   #38
Bombadil

It's the attention to the small details that marks the work of a true craftsman.

I keep hearing that one problem they had with TOS was insufficient time to do the scripts right, and I can see where that would be a major headache.

Now, time isn't an issue. Moore has the time to wirite the show bible carefully, and others such as yourself can work on details like exact measurements of the ship. This is nothing but good for the entire project.

If you can't find a bit of information such as the size of something, go ahead and make it up, then ask Moore to bless it. Bet he approves it.

Who knows? Someday it may MATTER that the pilot side window on a shuttle measures 37 centons long and 25 centons high. Or something.

Keep up the good work.
Old April 3rd, 2004, 12:17 AM   #39
gmd3d
Major

Thank's for the encouragement, Its a big task the Galactica is a big ship.
we are working on it

Old April 3rd, 2004, 03:25 AM   #40
Westy
Warrior

It'll be alot of work, but more importantly it'll be alot of fun.
Old April 4th, 2004, 06:40 AM   #41
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Potemkin, are you building a cgi ship or an actual miniature?
Old April 5th, 2004, 04:36 AM   #42
gmd3d
Major

Thumbs up

Titon
Quote:
Potemkin, are you building a cgi ship or an actual miniature?
No at least not yet we are working on designing the internal layout of the Galactica. using the dimensions for the viper, shuttle, and the Galactica herself.
It just for fun as westy has pointed out, while use are imagations to design
layout of the Battlestar.
We are starting with the landing bays and the vipers and seeing what they would look like to scale (we are using 6080 ft for the galactica and 28.5 to 30 for the vipers) later the bridge and so on and on and on, "aye it a big ship captain"
(a good scotty accent).
on the screen there as you know a Lot of images that don't add up . well we hope that this will is some way solve some of these problems for the fans of Battlestar, thats the hope.
I hope we can show you all something in a few months or sooner if possible using the wonderfull drawing on his site http://www.mortalstorm.com/ they are really great. if you have not seen then go look. really

Old April 6th, 2004, 05:03 AM   #43
Ninja
Warrior

Cool

I dunno if the link below has been mentioned before but I'm sure a lot of you guys might find this interesting. It even allows you to drag ships around to compare sizes with everyday planes ect as well as other star ships from various sci-fi shows.
Very cool site indeed.

STARSHIP DIMENSIONS
Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2004, 04:03 AM   #44
gmd3d
Major

Thumbs up

Hi Ninja
yeah I have seen that site it cool