Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old December 11th, 2003, 06:20 AM   #31
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

Get rid of her and #6. I tried to watch it again, they could cut #6 out totally, she was really annoying. The thing moved at the speed of paper and went slower when she was on. I did not like the Basestars, could not see them very well. The superbasestar was far better IMHO
S
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2003, 06:56 AM   #32
jeditemple
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally posted by Stevew
Well put Ken. Darth needs to see Richards trailer to see what it could have been. You can't compare what was done in 78 to today
S
Absolutely... Too many of the "pro-mini" folks bash the original series, but they obviously never saw a lot of the other garbage that was aired (both movies and T.V.). If they want to bash some 70's sci-fi, then there are plenty of deserving movies like "Star Crash," "Battle Beyond the Stars," and a plethora of other B movies.

jeditemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2003, 08:33 AM   #33
Gundark
Shuttle Pilot

Hello -

First time post in these forums and I'd like to briefly mention (after browsing the threads) that you seem to have a great community of grass roots fans here who share a common love of BSG even after all these years. I was 15 back in 78' and devoured BSG as fast as I did SW the year before. I was able to see the film release in SENSURROUND (ooooh...hi-fi sci-fi !) 5 times and recorded every episode off the telly on my (another high-tech piece of equipment coming up...) portable cassette recorder !! I still watch every episode whenever I can catch them and have to decided to make the investment in the DVD set.

Now to offer some general comments regarding the....what was that called ? Oh yes, the NEW BSG. The re-make ? The up-date ?

I must confess I missed the first half hour on the 7th, I was (honestly) reading the blurb in my TV Guide about it and mulling over the warning 'if you're a hard core fan, don't watch it, you won't like it'. Morbid curiousity drew me to the telly in the bedroom and away from the Sunday night football game. When I flicked it on, I saw a hot blond in a skin tight red dress all over a nervous guy sitting in a chair. I thought I had the wrong channel. Are we clear on that ? I THOUGHT I HAD THE WRONG CHANNEL.

My beloved tin cans in skirts who can shoot with the accuracy of Imperial Stormtroopers (ah, we won't go there) had turned into HUMAN LOOK-ALIKES ??? Hey - don't get me wrong, I'm a girl and I can easily admit when I find another girl attractive, but this is UNACCEPTABLE. And Baltar as a sniveling, sweaty little bug of a man. Ugh ! I'm sorry, but I want my bad guys to LOOK LIKE BAD GUYS !!

Boomer and Starbuck are now women ? Hmmm....no, I don't think so. Estrogen overload. And Starbuck striking a superior officer ? Over digs in a card game ? That would NEVER have happened on the Galactica ! That is NOT how warriors and officers conduct themselves and I find that totally ludicrous ! And at then end, we find out Boomer is a cylon ??? Oh, thats a plot twist alright. A twist of agony in my gut.

The space battles. Excuse me, did I say 'battle' ? I must admit I'm probably overly critical of this issue, being spoiled by Papa Lucas over the years. But the BSG ones were too quiet, too disorderly. The ships were all over the place. No 'one on one' skirmishes. And after seeing the sloppy landings the Viper pilots made on the flight deck ? Yeesh, time to go back to school, boys !

The one thing I DID like was the angst first shown in the relationship between Apollo and Adama, (despite desperately missing Richard and Lorne in those roles and confessing to Apollo being my favorite). At the end of the first 2 hours when Adama was practically shouting into the com about the cylon fighters ready to attack the shuttle that Apollo was on....that was good. Their embrace at the end jerked a tear out of me. Not to be confused with inner sobbing I was experiencing at having BSG mutilated for four hours of course. And leaving behind groups of sub-light ships, that did convey the horror of their situation and did lend some hard reality into the story, I felt. However in the future, they should learn to store prisoners on sub-light ships and put the veggie mobile on the shopping list for a hyperdrive.....Egad. Blatantly stupid, that.

The most humorous point came when my other half (who readily admits to having NO sci-fi background whatsoever) came into the room and asked me how I liked it so far. I said 'it sucks' and he said 'are you going to watch the other half ?'. And I said of course, I've got to see how it all turns out and how much more bad it can get. Which left him completely confused. Ask the man 'what is a cylon?' and he will say 'I have no idea'. Then tell him it is a kind of fruit that Obi Wan bought from his Klingon friend on the planet Krypton and he'll say 'oh okay'. So you see I'm alone in this and why I'm so glad I found this site. Misery loves company !

I could go on a bit more, but I don't want to post a novel here. I think thats the gist of it. Thanks for listening. Have a nice day.
Gundark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2004, 06:47 PM   #34
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

These reviews definately speak for theirselves but if you'll
go to the scifi.com site and look up the remade battlestar
galactica site ........go to the links and look for reviews of
the REImagining. Specifically :
filmjerk.com - 12 - 28 - 02 - Battlestar Galactica

This one tells it like it is.
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote