Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old October 4th, 2005, 01:16 PM   #1
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Unhappy BG Comic Question: The Memory machine

Has anybody in the USA received the book or seen it at a comicbook retailer? I ordered from amazon and finally gave up after receiving delay after delay messages from amazon.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2005, 01:21 PM   #2
LadyImmortal
Bad Email Address

You mean the memory machine saga from the 1979 Marvel comic series? That Memory Machine?

I've had it since about 1985 or so, lol... maybe earlier...

--Rhonda
LadyImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2005, 01:56 PM   #3
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

yes
Old October 4th, 2005, 01:57 PM   #4
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books
Old October 4th, 2005, 02:22 PM   #5
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Sorry for those who don't have the original comics that it's not coming out, though truth be told this whole storyline was pretty wrongheaded from the start and guaranteed that Marvel's Galactica comic would be short-lived.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2005, 05:12 PM   #6
LadyImmortal
Bad Email Address

It was pretty bad wasn't it?

I rather enjoyed it when I was about 14 though... I think... (lol)
Old October 4th, 2005, 08:10 PM   #7
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Well the problem I had with it was (1) it dragged on forever and amidst that we got a couple poorly written flashback stories/diversionary stories and (2) Baltar was left for dead on Kobol by Lucifer and never appeared again in the entire run of the Marvel series.

The other big strike Marvel had against it was they couldn't adapt any episodes after LPOTG and that meant we had a universe with no Cain, no Sheba, no Count Iblis. Too much of the mythos that the series developed in one year was missing.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2005, 06:13 AM   #8
LadyImmortal
Bad Email Address

Yeah, I caught that too. I always wondered why it diverged so much at the time but didn't think about them not being able to do it.

And, of course, the artwork pretty much sucked too...

--Rhonda
Old October 5th, 2005, 06:18 AM   #9
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Unhappy

Sadly, I never did read the comics beyond the GIANT movie special adaptation of Saga of a Star World.

Regretfully,
Martok2112
Old October 6th, 2005, 04:25 AM   #10
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

I managed to order it and it is on the way.
Old October 14th, 2005, 07:25 PM   #11
Bijou88

I think Marvel's version of Battlestar Galactica was rather entertaining. It is true that that they could not refer to episodes that occurred after "Lost Planet of the Gods". This was due to the licencing agreement they signed with Universal. This same type of agreement also ham-strung the Star Trek series they published in the wake of Star Trek The Motion Picture. In that deal they could only use characers and situations that appeared in the movie rather than on the origial TV show. The Battlestar Galactica contractual constraint led to "the memory machine" story arc went on forever. But there were many issues that were great! My favorite issue was illustrated by Walt Simonson and featured Cylon Mark III. He was a Cylon "Ace" that was so dangerous and ambitious that the Cylons marooned him on a planet to protect themselves. The issue where Boomer discovers the final fate of Ila really seemed like a genuine part of the Battlestar Galactica mythos to me. In my private chronology of the Galactica universe, the Marvel comics count as "real" events.