Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old October 3rd, 2005, 07:30 PM   #1
jjrakman

Question The Hassaris

Who were these people anyway? Adama mentions that the Colonies did not have contact with the Cylons until they got involed with the Hassari/Cylon conflict in which the Cylons would have enslaved the Hassari's. Where were the Hassari's at the time of the cylon attack? Why did they not return the favor to the Colonials? And who were these guys anyway?

Last edited by jjrakman; October 3rd, 2005 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: No apostrophe
Old October 3rd, 2005, 08:40 PM   #2
larocque6689
Warrior

They were Universal Studios Stealth Marketers ...

No, seriously, nobody knows.

This is what the writer's manual said in 1978:

https://www.kobol.com/archives/wguide.html
HASARIS - Small group at one time given aid by humans (similar to foreign aid)

Interesting take on this from the one and only Sue Paxton:

https://www.geocities.com/sjpaxton/glosgh.html

HASARIS - The war with the Cylons began when the Colonials intervened against the Cylons to help the Hasaris take back their nation, taken by force by the Cylons. Proof positive that the Colonials, pacifist fans to the contrary, started the Thousand Yahren War.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 10:13 PM   #3
rjandron
Warrior

The Hasaris are very much an unanswered question in the classic BSG mythos. For fan fiction purposes, the Hasaris are a vast opportunity because they can be anything the fan fiction writers need them to be.

There are a couple of extrapolations that can be made.

1. They had a government which was compatible with the ideals of the Colonial governments. Otherwise, there would not be sufficient bond with the Colonials to encourage armed intervention in a conflict which did not, at the time, warrant their involvement. Of course, the intervention was a thousand yahren ago, so how much history was lost to legend is unknown.

2. They were interstellar, or had access to interstellar technology. Otherwise, meeting and establishing diplomatic relations with the Colonies could not have occurred. Presumably, there was rough parity in the technology levels between the Hasari and the Colonials.

3, They were non-human. Humanity, according to the background of BSG, came from Kobol and founded the 12 Colonies. Though there is nothing that precludes the Hasari from being a splinter group of one of the Colonies, the strong emphasis on history and the 12 tribes of Kobol among the Colonials would suggest that the Hasari were not one of the 12 tribes, and ergo, not human.

As far as where the Hasari were during the Exodus, one could presume that the Hasari fell to the Cylons long ago, and that they were not in a position to help the Colonials.
rjandron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2005, 10:50 PM   #4
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

It's worth noting that in "The Lost Warrior", Apollo gets lost in the "Hatari System" which may indicate a system that was not in too far proximity from wherever the "Hasaris" might have come from if they came from the "Hasari System".
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2005, 03:14 AM   #5
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

Sept17th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2005, 04:14 AM   #6
bsg1fan1975
Major

i often wondered why they were never shown or brought up more myself. I too concur with the theory that they died out or lost their civilization to the Cylons and therefore became star voyagers.

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2005, 04:27 PM   #7
jjrakman

I wonder if there's more about them in the novelization.
Old October 4th, 2005, 04:40 PM   #8
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

I don't think they're even mentioned in the novelization.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2005, 09:27 PM   #9
Pegasus4
Bad Email Address

Adama said that the colonial nation were helping their neighbors whom the Cylons wished to enslave and got the Hasaris their planet back.

No idea afterwards, I assume the Cylons eventually retook Hasari during the war and either enslaved or exterminated them.

I could've sworn he said the same thing in the novelization in the council chamber. That book also started with Adama's log stating that Cylons attacked and destroyed thousands of Colonial merchant ships with no provokation or warning and then attacked the Colonies starting the war. Either way I always thought the Cylons attacked the Hasaris hoping the humans would get involved to start a war.

Sept. 17th, thanks for killing my appetite.
Pegasus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2005, 12:50 AM   #10
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

There is another here to blame about killing your appetite...the joke has run its course. I will remove the ugly Hasari.
Another Film Maker
Sept17th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2005, 05:32 AM   #11
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Also brings up the question of who were the Delphians?? Their city/planet Gamoray had just been eradicated as well. But they had nice buildings in So. California!!!

https://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2005, 02:47 PM   #12
AlternityOrange
Warrior

COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

The Hasaris were used in the Galactica video game. They were part of the story that remained even after Uni went over it with a bottle of white out and made it a jumbled mess of BSG and GINO.

-Edward James Olmos
AlternityOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2005, 04:31 PM   #13
jjrakman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlternityOrange
The Hasaris were used in the Galactica video game. They were part of the story that remained even after Uni went over it with a bottle of white out and made it a jumbled mess of BSG and GINO.
What you say suggests that what was under the white out is still out there somewhere. Any chance of bootlegs?
Old October 5th, 2005, 07:27 PM   #14
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

I know that I used the Hasari's in my Dark Exodus fanfic, and they play a considerable role in Reciprocity.
Old October 6th, 2005, 10:54 AM   #15
AlternityOrange
Warrior

COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrakman
What you say suggests that what was under the white out is still out there somewhere. Any chance of bootlegs?
The Hassaris were in the released game to the best of my knowledge. I haven't played it but I did see the cutscenes at Galacticon. What I meant by the white out mess is that the game, after being altered, doesn't fit with either BSG or GINO it's a mix of the two that is... a mess.

-Edward James Olmos
Old October 6th, 2005, 02:25 PM   #16
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
The Hassaris were in the released game to the best of my knowledge. I haven't played it but I did see the cutscenes at Galacticon. What I meant by the white out mess is that the game, after being altered, doesn't fit with either BSG or GINO it's a mix of the two that is... a mess.
Yes, in a cutscene in the game we see the last of the Hasari giving a very important quest, and data to Adama. She refers to his destiny.
Old October 6th, 2005, 04:30 PM   #17
jjrakman

Quote:

That's what I figured. What I meant was, is there an unaltered version of the game sitting on some computer programmer's desk somewhere. The version of the game before it was altered, does it exist?
Old October 6th, 2005, 09:11 PM   #18
AlternityOrange
Warrior

COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

There might be a few bits and bobs but I'm certain there is no "finished but unaltered" game anywhere. The voiceover work was done well after the story was set. There are definitely unused portions of scripts that were written before the edict from Universal came down. It's a shame really, a lot of people worked really hard on the game over the years.

-Edward James Olmos