Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old February 6th, 2004, 09:01 AM   #1
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

Default Trauma and old friends.

Well, good to see the site up.

I don't think I would be as active on a TOS focused board. That's ok, there are pro-mini spaces on the web, but I think you all know there is a downside to many of those.

I have had real trauma happen in my life, as I imagine most of you have. Seeing CF go down was more like watching a friend suffer with a problem than having bad stuff happen directly to me.

The most clear memory I have of a friend suffering with trauma wasn't the conventional loss of loved ones, or breakup of family. A long time friend was ringing a dinner bell while standing directly under it. The thing fell, leaving a crecent shaped scar on his forehead and shoulders. This man had some classic insanity symptons, far beyond the usual weirdness. It took a long time for him to become sane, and frankly, he still sees conspiracies everywhere. Still, I think it is good to be able to occasionally have a semi-sane chat with the geek.

Titon, do what you gotta do with your site. If I find it to be as fun for me, I'll hang out while I am welcome. I doubt I will find it that much fun if it goes the way of TOS fans that all hate the mini. I am not going to bitch about whatever happens, I can always change the channel. Make your site fun for you. I'll make my way to sites that are fun for me. If that ends up in the same place, great.
Old February 6th, 2004, 09:45 AM   #2
larocque6689
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Marley
Make your site fun for you. I'll make my way to sites that are fun for me. If that ends up in the same place, great.
May this be so!
Old February 6th, 2004, 10:13 AM   #3
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Hi Darth!

Thank you for sharing your words with us. I join with you in hoping that somehow, a future CF will be a place where you feel welcomed by a friend. One of the hardest things for me, has been to reconcile my deepest feelings for TOS and horror at all things mini, with those who want to embrace the new and find acceptance there. It took Don and Tom's inclusion of the mini forums here, and kind replies by wonderful people like you even though we feel so differently, to pinch my world and melt the ice around my stubborn heart.

I truly hope that strangers like you and I, can find a place like CF, to be the kind of friends we yearn to be.

Affectionately,
Muffit
Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2004, 02:03 PM   #4
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

I think I would feel comfortable no more on a site that focuses on hating anything. I'm tired of hate. I come online to have fun. I think its horrible that Colonial Fleets would revolve around hate. The original show seemed to be about the opposite of that.

That's probably the main reason why I wouldn't be happy as admin if that continued. (Though when we closed I thought the cf board seemed pretty good)

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2004, 03:30 PM   #5
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

That's why I come here Tom. I agree with you 100%!
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2004, 05:05 PM   #6
Antelope

I found this site thanks to jjrakman when I was at Battlestargalacticaclub. They have a nice site but to me it shows how easy it is to make everyone happy or drive them away. When I first came they had a continuation forum with threads on all sorts of subjects including many devoted to the mini. It was obvious they loved TOS and the older timers didn't like the mini but us new unsuspecting people thought we found "Battle Star Galactica". I and the other new people posted and replied on the various threads on the Continuation forum and read the other forums as time permited. They had a lot of neat stuff based on all kind of "altered history" scenarios.

I logged on one day and there was a message which I paraphrase, "We support TOS and a Continuation (Desanto) Only!" All the mini info was moved onto one gigantic unusable thread. I got the message. Throughout Galactica land I think there is a similar message. At Colonial fleets however the welcome was out. The anti- mini crowd spent more time talking about the mini than the pro-mini people and yet somehow the pro-mini people were tearing Galactica apart. I think now that some time has passed the anti-mini people know that Darth Marley, myself, Tyrol, The Rain, and just about all the pro-mini regulars at Colonial Fleets are nice people who love TOS also. Most of us support Desanto now also, which we would have never learned about if we stayed at SCIFI etc. I never understand why some of the anti-mini crowd feel a need to destroy any references to the mini from all Galactica web sites. I continue to try to convience people that if the mini based series if one comes is good it will help build a larger Battlestar fan base which Desanto himself said would be a good thing. If it sucks it will fade away. Either way it doesn't hurt the franchise or the old posters. Let the mini or BSG1980 have its forum and let the fans go if they want as often or as little as they want. The mini fan probably spends at least a third of their time at the cafe, TOS, or continuation forums. They are a big gain to the sites if people would only welcome them.
Old February 6th, 2004, 07:00 PM   #7
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Darth i'll make sure you never feel like your out of place here. Any problems you come to me.

That goes for all fans of Galactica. There's a place for everyone here but again the edict is changing. This site is based on the TOS, plain and simple but it is open to "all" discussion. Just do not push your views onto others. I'd be just as happy to discuss the mini as the TOS but in the long run you know which is in my mind.

Thanks for your email Darth, i appreciated it.

Please stay and help us celebrate Galactica.

Don
Old February 6th, 2004, 07:18 PM   #8
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

Will, assuming an RDM series happens, fans of that incarnation have a place, or is that something best left for other boards more uniform in their fandom?
Old February 7th, 2004, 07:02 AM   #9
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Will, assuming an RDM series happens, fans of that incarnation have a place, or is that something best left for other boards more uniform in their fandom?
Take this to the bank, fans of the new series will always be welcome here. They can come here and discuss anything pertaining to Galactica whether it be the new series or the old. I will not discriminate between the two but like i said my heart bleeds the TOS. Darth i've found your posts and conversation engaging and i'd hate to see other's like yourself bypass Fleets simply because this site garners more to the TOS. What alot of people helped me realize is that we cannot let ourselves loose site of what Galactica was in the begining and to help people enjoying the mini "why" we love the original so much.

If it's not what your looking for then so be it but i believe after posting more you'll understand us better.

Don
Old February 7th, 2004, 09:07 AM   #10
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

As long as fans of BSG of any INCARNATION are well behaved there's no reason
for them not to be welcome here.
Old February 7th, 2004, 09:21 AM   #11
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

Fair enough.
Some of the religious discussion at CA has some parallels with the BSG apartheid.
Some fans post about not being able to understand the other sides point of view. Sort of like an adherent of a particular sect believing their belief is the only true faith. Certainly, they may be right, but it does not stop others from believing differently.

There is certainly a unique and pleasant quality here, a reflection of the people this board brings together. Certainly worth checking out along with the other web destinations.
Old February 7th, 2004, 10:18 AM   #12
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Colonial Fleets

Hopefully you'll find us engaging enough Darth to acknowledge our point of view. As we will work to understand yours.

Old February 7th, 2004, 10:50 AM   #13
Antelope

TOS/mini fans need colonial fleets. Thus far the only referenced site for mini fans to go to is subspace. I checked there and the Galactica and mini talk is a fraction of what we had at colonial fleets. I don't care how Titon makes the site. I am sure it will be good. I will be here so long as mini, other incarnations, or even BSG1980 (laughing) can make new threads and post on whatever forum Titon assigns the subject. I just can't live in the "your version gets one thread only and you should realize how magnanimous we are" world I have seen at other sites."

Everything I am hearing now sounds great. I hope Titon continues to give Colonial Fleets a chance again.
Old February 7th, 2004, 10:51 AM   #14
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Colonial Fleets

Hey, Darrell (Warrior) actually wants a G80 discussion area.

YEESH!!!!

Old February 7th, 2004, 10:54 AM   #15
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

I think Sackoff mentioned wanting a flying motorcycle.
Old February 7th, 2004, 10:58 AM   #16
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

I noticed there is a board on BSG where you can discuss the mini.
My point of view for the mini fans ...... is if you want to get your
point of view across ....... you need to be willing to put yourselves
out there. Here is a great place ........... don't get me wrong.

My point is NOT to drive anyone away ..........................

Indeed I want everyone who is well behaved no matter what
BSG incarnation they like to stay ..................................

But if you want to be heard .......you have to be willing to speak
even in places where you might not feel welcome.
Old February 7th, 2004, 10:59 AM   #17
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
I think Sackoff mentioned wanting a flying motorcycle
LOL. Well it wouldn't surprise me.

Hey i have to admit something here, don't kill me everyone but towards the end of the mini she actually began to grow on me. And dare i say she had some very attractive qualities to the character towards the end.

*runs like hell away from all the stone throwing girls*

DOH!
Old February 7th, 2004, 11:09 AM   #18
Antelope

I wasn't happy with the Kara Thrace Starbuck but I think they were setting her and Lee Adama up to be the equivalent of Apollo and Sheba in a series if one is made. I think we should have an open mind about a series if it happens. I have a suspicion that the mini itself didn't grind the series characters in stone. I think a Moore series will be more like TOS than people expect.
Old February 7th, 2004, 12:16 PM   #19
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
I think Sackoff mentioned wanting a flying motorcycle.
I remember hearing that too. We don't necessarily want her to find the curse from those days of BSG. We'd rather whatever is done be done as well as it can be, and not so rushed that the actors are running between 3 soundstages shooting parts of 3 scripts in the same day.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2004, 12:24 PM   #20
jewels

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titon
Hey i have to admit something here, don't kill me everyone but towards the end of the mini she actually began to grow on me. And dare i say she had some very attractive qualities to the character towards the end.

*runs like hell away from all the stone throwing girls*
Stone throwing? Na. We'll just subject you to (someone correct me on the name of this) some psycho-electron-recall, fit you computer with a Maren/Jane/Laurette/Anne/Sarah Screensaver ....in a few days you'll be perfectly normal, reprogrammed .

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

Old February 7th, 2004, 12:38 PM   #21
jewels

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiningstar
I noticed there is a board on BSG where you can discuss the mini.
My point of view for the mini fans ...... is if you want to get your
point of view across ....... you need to be willing to put yourselves
out there. ...
But if you want to be heard .......you have to be willing to speak
even in places where you might not feel welcome.
Shiningstar, I completely understand what you are trying to say, but unless subspace picks up traffic, I've yet to see a G03 board moderated with a combination of trustworthy folks in charge and so people can freely state opinions. I'd rather have them with us and able to speak their minds even if I don't agree with them or they with me. As long as we respect each others right to our opinions, I don't see a problem.

Old February 7th, 2004, 02:40 PM   #22
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

To each his OWN Titon .............. I can't complain considering all the toads I
dated before I found my prince ............
Old February 7th, 2004, 02:51 PM   #23
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

My point wasn't to drive them from here Jewels
it was to get their views out there in other forums
so everyone could see that they weren't the
devil incarnate.
Old February 7th, 2004, 05:48 PM   #24
emerita
Bad Email Address

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Moving onward and upward.....as long as we can do it together.
emerita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2004, 06:46 PM   #25
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Definately
Old February 8th, 2004, 06:46 AM   #26
emerita
Bad Email Address

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiningstar
To each his OWN Titon .............. I can't complain considering all the toads I
dated before I found my prince ............
OMG....You actually found one???? I've been looking for 18 years and am still kissing Toads. They usually don't make it past.." How do you feel about Sci-fI..." so single I stay.....
emerita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2004, 08:05 AM   #27
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
I can't complain considering all the toads I
dated before I found my prince
Hehe, i just like ticken Jewels off!

But seriously i found my angel along time ago and without her beautiful smile everdya life would not be worth it. Oh and those to little rugrats i've mine that take me to the edge of insanity everday of my existence. Now you now why i'm nuetered!

Actually life would be pretty hollow with out them.

Old February 8th, 2004, 08:07 AM   #28
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

Did any of you have a hallucinogenic experience from all that toad licking?
Old February 8th, 2004, 08:34 AM   #29
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Pretty colors!!!!!!!!!!

Old February 8th, 2004, 09:24 AM   #30
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Does many bouts with the stomach flu count?