Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old February 20th, 2003, 06:14 AM   #1
ojai22
Dancing Viper Queen

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Default Re-invention

Lets take a look at this idea of re-invention and see if we can understand it a little better. We've all heard the phrase, so-and-so reinvented himself but what exactly does that mean? If its a matter of growth, which is the natural outcome of the trials through which we suffer, then re-invention had nothing to do with it; we merely progressed along a natural pathway from an old way of life into something new and more challenging, more exciting. On the other hand, if you put aside what you are and re-imagine a fantasy for your life wherein you stand beside yourself and proclaim I have re-invented myself, then you're talking merely about pretension.

Ms. Hammer says with this remake of Battlestar Galactica they are going to re-invent Science Fiction. If you've read the script, or tried to, then you understand what she means. Here is a civilization that can heal a broken bone simply by placing it under a beam of light. They have actually built spaceships and travel the Universe in them. Very advançed technology in every area of their lives. Why then cant these people heal the disruption of cells that is known as cancer? Couldnt cancer itself be considered as a form of re-invention within a normally healthy body? The problem is, it isnt the natural growth of good health so it is destructive.

Science Fiction is a broad term. Covers a lot of territory. What it isnt, is the smallness, the foibles, the everyday pettiness of life on Earth simply transferred to another planet, while pretending we have a new idea. That is indeed re-invention and is destructive to the Universe we know as BSG.

Thw Fan Force is dedicated to the continuation of Battlestar Galactica with all its glory intact. We don't want the Galactica re-invented as a museum. Or Starbucks manhood lost in space. We dont want the loss of nobility of the characters we know and care about. We want the actual healthy body of BSG - not a pretense masquerading as a new invention.

ojai22
Old February 20th, 2003, 08:27 AM   #2
oldwardaggit
You old war daggit!

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner/Webmaster
RadioGalactica

Very well put my friend.
I think I will read it again.
OWD
oldwardaggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2003, 05:27 PM   #3
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Nicely said.

The anti-tech thing really bugs me in RDM's version: Not a colonial attitude at all. The Capricans kept drone tech in check so they wouldn't become lazy or dependent on it: not because it did not have value.
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2003, 05:48 PM   #4
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Good words Ojai. The reimagining is more of a soap opera in space than sci-fi. Like reinventing the wheel and making it square.

Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2003, 07:54 PM   #5
repcisg
Bad Email Address

Very nicely said
repcisg is offline   Reply With Quote