Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old May 6th, 2003, 10:27 AM   #1
JSC1
Warrior

Default BSG and the Nutty Professor

How many of you remember the film the Nutty Professor? It was a movie in the 60's that starred Jerry Lewis as a professor, and his alter ego, Buddy Love.

Well as we all know the Nutty Professor was remade, and starred Eddie Murphy as professor Sherman Klump, and his alter ego Buddy Love.

From what I could gather, the first movie was a reflection on popularity. The remake was a reflection on obesity, since it was something discussed majorly at the time, and still is in regards.

Basically the Nutty Professor was remade to reflect modern times, and sensibilities. Ron Moore says he's trying to do the same with Battlestar.

So why did the Nutty Professor succeed and the Battlestar remake looks like it will fail?

Well here's why.

One, the Nutty Professor had the talent of Eddie Murphy going for it. Now sure at the time Eddie had not had many hits at the time, but everyone knew the range of talent he was capable of, and felt he could deliver.

Two, despite good feelings that may have been generated by the original Nutty Professor, in reflection it was just a movie. It didn't have the cult following that Battlestar did, or for that matter the cult following that say...the Rocky Horror Picture Show does. There are still theaters that play that movie, and people that show up to it at times.

Ron probably looked at the Battlestar movie and felt the detachment a fan would feel if they looked at the original Nutty Professor, thinking that it was good for its time but this was not its time. It would need to be updated and redone. It would have been hard to do a continuation of the original Nutty Professor because Jerry Lewis might have been too old to be Buddy Love again.

But what Ron doesn't get is that fans ARE attached to Battlestar. They are attached to the story, mythology and characters that they want to see revived and continued. And Ron's detachment to the original story could well be a liability.

What do you guys think?
JSC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2003, 01:45 PM   #2
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Default Re: BSG and the Nutty Professor

Quote:
Originally posted by JSC1
But what Ron doesn't get is that fans ARE attached to Battlestar. They are attached to the story, mythology and characters that they want to see revived and continued. And Ron's detachment to the original story could well be a liability.

What do you guys think?
I think there are many things that Ron "just doesn't get". If you are writing a story about a show that has been somewhat dormant for 25 years, you don't knowingly alienate a sizable portion of your potential viewing audience, unless you're an absolute fool! I agree with your contention that his 'detachment to the original story could well be a liability' and in addition, I would submit that, altogether, he could be doing more harm to his project by fanning the flames of conflict between his project and we Continuation fans. Personally, I don't care which unmarked grave his project lies in, I just can't believe the man would be that stupid.

BST
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2003, 05:20 PM   #3
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Default Re: Re: BSG and the Nutty Professor

Quote:
Originally posted by BST
I think there are many things that Ron "just doesn't get". If you are writing a story about a show that has been somewhat dormant for 25 years, you don't knowingly alienate a sizable portion of your potential viewing audience, unless you're an absolute fool! I agree with your contention that his 'detachment to the original story could well be a liability' and in addition, I would submit that, altogether, he could be doing more harm to his project by fanning the flames of conflict between his project and we Continuation fans. Personally, I don't care which unmarked grave his project lies in, I just can't believe the man would be that stupid.

BST
Ah, but arrogance only hears the sound of it's own voice. It's a choice he made, a choice Hammer made, a choice Eick made. And they will be the ones left twisting in the wind when the storm passes through & it bombs.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2003, 05:27 PM   #4
LadyImmortal
Bad Email Address

And they'll claim that there's no 'interest' in Battlestar Galactica out there - and we'll be here to prove them wrong...

--Rhonda
LadyImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2003, 05:48 PM   #5
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

I like analogies JSC1 .

You are so right, they don't "get it". It's like they got handed down a music box and decided to reinvent it, and never once tried turning the key to see WHY it's called a music box.

A music box with nothing fun inside is just an empty box. That's what G03 is. All fluff and no filling.

Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote