Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old March 2nd, 2009, 07:09 PM   #1
Malkyte
Colonial Misfit

Default Casting Call: Adama

Okay, some of you might have already seen this over at Tombs of Kobol, so it should not be too surprising.

I just felt a bit of energy with the current, potential, maybe, possible news of a BSG movie and thought, why not a casting call? I know we have done these in the past, but it never hurts to repeat an exercise!

Below is how I dreamed up the way it might work. Its for fun, so its not an exact science and there are no wrong answers... so participate and enjoy!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, I think I got this a little more worked out for the long run...

*I will post three "Casting Call:[character name here]" threads at a time, which we will nominate potential acters/actresses for the particular roles.

*The threads will go for about three or four days or until it seems as we have run the well dry. Debate as to why a certain actor is perfect for the role is very much encouraged!

*Then I will post a poll for that character. Haven't decided on how long to let people vote, but if there is a clear runaway, it will be over sooner then later!

*I am going to post these at Tombs of Kobol too, so hopefully we can get a good turn out!

*With the permission of ToK and CF leadership, visual convincing is also encouraged. (Note: I did not say I got permission, I just hope that as long as we behave and don't overload, the cool guys here will be cool about it... did that sound redundant?)

Any other suggestions are more then welcome!

Remember, this is for fun!

So, once again, participation is key!!!

Malkyte

Last edited by Malkyte; March 2nd, 2009 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: Edited for spelling.
Malkyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 07:11 PM   #2
Malkyte
Colonial Misfit

Default Re: Casting Call: Adama

So, because I started this at Tombs, there is already a pretty good list for Adama, however if there is a significant name missing please note it in this thread! I will keep this list updated every night, until the poll is posted.

Adama:
…..James Cromwell
…..Edward James Olmos
…..Morgan Freeman
…..Liam Neeson
…..William Shatner
…..Christopher Plummer
…..Ian McKellen
…..Sean Connery
…..Harrison Ford
…..Bruce Boxleitner
…..David Warner
…..Sam Elliott
…..James Earl Jones
…..Bernard Hill
…..Anthony Hopkins
…..Lawrence Fishburne (apologies to Aphrodite)

Malkyte
Old March 2nd, 2009, 11:41 PM   #3
monolith21
Squadron Leader

I'd hate to see them recast Adama...but I'd love to see Sam Elliot in command of a Battlestar!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
-Albert Einstein
monolith21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 02:09 AM   #4
Aphrodite
Socialator

I know I said Laurence Fishburne as Adama as well as Tigh over there.

Aphrodite's Facebook Page
Battlestar Galactica Club
GalacticaBBS Global Moderator
Battlestar FanclubWebsite Moderator

Aphrodite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 08:50 AM   #5
Malkyte
Colonial Misfit

Ok, I'll get a little debate going since all of a sudden everyone disapeared...

I love Sam Elliott, but would he really work with his cowboy svager and 'accent'? Maybe Cain? Just curious what others think?

Similarily, Lawrence Fishburne... I am curious behind your reasoning, Aphrodite. I am intrigued.

Malkyte
Old March 3rd, 2009, 12:54 PM   #6
gmd3d
Major

None of the above ..

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 01:12 PM   #7
Malkyte
Colonial Misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
None of the above ..
Gladly take any other suggestions...

Malkyte
Old March 3rd, 2009, 01:29 PM   #8
Kester Pelagius
Bad Email Address

Sam Elliot I could see as Adama.

But Shatner?

NO! NO NO NO!

People will never get beyond comparing anything he does to his Kirk personae. Same with Boxleitner, they'd just compare his Adama to his B5 role. I think any roles should go to either relative unknowns or people who haven't appeared in any major SF series or movie.

Besides the Adama role requires solemn gravitas.
Kester Pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 01:52 PM   #9
Malkyte
Colonial Misfit

Sorry, I should have clarified that Shat was somewhat of a gag add-on over at Tombs!

As for Sam, I am not seeing it, but I am open to convincing!

You are right, most roles should probably go to some fresh faces, but I would say that much like the original, Adama should go to a more seasoned and established actor, as he will have to be the convincing 'figure-head', keeping everything together.

Malkyte
Old March 3rd, 2009, 02:36 PM   #10
Kronus
CDR Kronus' Grandson

For the role of Adama, this actor would have to be able to pull off a huge serious part. We would have to see past the actor and see Adama...which in all essence the actor has to be good.

So of all of the "seasoned" male actors, who would be so good that you would not even notice who is playing the role of Adama but only see "Adama"?

I have a few in mind:
  1. Morgan Freeman (I know he is already listed and he too has played good roles that would fit in)
  2. Tommy Lee Jones (He has played many serious leading and leader type and comical roles, a well rounded actor)
  3. Clint Eastwood (Not one of my stronger picks but he's a bad *ss and he can play a compassionate soul when warranted but more believable when he must command attention…well although he didn’t fare well in SciFi…)
  4. Ed Harris (Talk about rounded, where to begin?)
  5. Jeremy Irons
  6. James Caan
  7. Kirk Russell
These are my idea of candidates

You know, I am not sure if all of these actors are even alive...DOH!
Galactica the Movie is coming soon!
Kronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 04:27 PM   #11
Kester Pelagius
Bad Email Address

Good points klingongeneral. After giving it some thought the two names I came up with were: Robert Duvall and Jürgen Prochnow.

However it's been a while and I'm sure if they're still in the biz.
Kester Pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 06:25 PM   #12
Malkyte
Colonial Misfit

So, I just realized that a poll here will only allow 10 spots, while ToK allows 26. So, unless convincing arguments can be made for some of the latest suggestions, we may have to leave them off.

I have asked to see if we can raise that number a little higher, but I am still waiting for a response.

Adama might be due for the poll real soon anyway!

Stayed tuned!

Malkyte
Old March 3rd, 2009, 06:33 PM   #13
Aphrodite
Socialator

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingongeneral View Post
For the role of Adama, this actor would have to be able to pull off a huge serious part. We would have to see past the actor and see Adama...which in all essence the actor has to be good.

So of all of the "seasoned" male actors, who would be so good that you would not even notice who is playing the role of Adama but only see "Adama"?

I have a few in mind:
  1. Morgan Freeman (I know he is already listed and he too has played good roles that would fit in)
  2. Tommy Lee Jones (He has played many serious leading and leader type and comical roles, a well rounded actor)
  3. Clint Eastwood (Not one of my stronger picks but he's a bad *ss and he can play a compassionate soul when warranted but more believable when he must command attention…well although he didn’t fare well in SciFi…)
  4. Ed Harris (Talk about rounded, where to begin?)
  5. Jeremy Irons
  6. James Caan
  7. Kirk Russell
These are my idea of candidates

You know, I am not sure if all of these actors are even alive...DOH!
On a personal note, James Caan is an a-hole. I've met him on many occasions, and I don't think he would make a good Adama at all.

Aphrodite's Facebook Page
Battlestar Galactica Club
GalacticaBBS Global Moderator
Battlestar FanclubWebsite Moderator

Aphrodite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 06:38 PM   #14
CBSG4ever
Warrior Ace

Location: In My Battlestar over San Diego waiting for everyone else...

I agree with Mark (Monolith21). I would hate to see Adama recast. If I were given a choice though, I could see Ian McKellen or David Warner in the roll. Both are excellent actors and can portray leaders with strength and compassion.

Just thought I'd throw this in.
If there was a recast of Cmdr Cain, my first choice would be Gene Hackman. Think "Crimson Tide". When I saw him in that movie, I said to my self: OMG! That's Commander Cain!...Seriously. He was decisive, strong and a little "Helter, Skelter-ish". But he was also a loyal patriot who admitted his error.
If Hackman were not available, Jeff Bridges would be an interesting choice too. About the right age and the resemblance is very close.

Just my .02 cubits.

Steve

"You're gonna need a bigger boat..." Chief Brody - Jaws
"Kind of a bummer gettin' your butt kicked by a dead guy" - Col. T.C. McQueen, S:AaB-(Ray Butts)
"A kind word and a 2-by-4 is better than just a kind word" - Marcus Cole, Babylon 5
"WIVES...uh...aren't we getting a little ahead of ourselves?" Starbuck - Living Legend
"Every creature in the Universe is out to exterminate us and YOU want to hire a vocal group." Boomer - Saga of a Starworld
CBSG4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 06:53 PM   #15
Malkyte
Colonial Misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBSG4ever View Post
I agree with Mark (Monolith21). I would hate to see Adama recast. If I were given a choice though, I could see Ian McKellen or David Warner in the roll. Both are excellent actors and can portray leaders with strength and compassion.

Just thought I'd throw this in.
If there was a recast of Cmdr Cain, my first choice would be Gene Hackman. Think "Crimson Tide". When I saw him in that movie, I said to my self: OMG! That's Commander Cain!...Seriously. He was decisive, strong and a little "Helter, Skelter-ish". But he was also a loyal patriot who admitted his error.
If Hackman were not available, Jeff Bridges would be an interesting choice too. About the right age and the resemblance is very close.

Just my .02 cubits.
Thanks CBSG4ever!

Yeah, recasting Adama or Baltar is not something that we want to do, but simply these fine actors are no longer with us. The idea here is with a potential remake in mind.

As for Cain, he will be coming up a little later, but I will keep track of your suggestions (both really good ones!)

Malkyte
Old March 4th, 2009, 01:11 AM   #16
gmd3d
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkyte View Post
Gladly take any other suggestions...

Malkyte
on revision of your list the only one I could see Playing Adama well is
Bernard Hill ..

as for the others suggested who are all great actors but I would not see them as Commander Adama in BSG that is based on the classic show.
Adama:
…..James Cromwell ..Completely wrong for the part
…..Edward James Olmos ..been there and he did not want any ETs
…..Morgan Freeman ..Has his own Sci Fi project
…..Liam Neeson ..Fellow Irish man .. but still not right
…..William Shatner .. Captain Kirk .. No Sorry
…..Christopher Plummer .. Hmm it a possibility
…..Ian McKellen ..wonderful Actor but I cannot see him in the part
…..Sean Connery ..Retired
…..Harrison Ford .. No thanks.
…..Bruce Boxleitner ..He would do it. I liked him in B5. But is he Adama
…..David Warner .. Solid Actor but again is not right for the Part.
…..Sam Elliott .. Wonderful actor but to much the cowboy
…..James Earl Jones .. oh the voice .. but cannot see him doing it
…..Bernard Hill ..This is possibly the best choice here
…..Anthony Hopkins .. would not do it
…..Lawrence Fishburne ..No thanks,

I have no other suggestion at this time .. I will think about it more

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 03:26 AM   #17
Wildcard

I would like to nominate Kenneth Branagh as a possibility.
Old March 4th, 2009, 06:40 AM   #18
Kronus
CDR Kronus' Grandson

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBSG4ever View Post
If Hackman were not available, Jeff Bridges would be an interesting choice too. About the right age and the resemblance is very close. Just my .02 cubits.
I was thinking Hackman for Cain as I was making my list for Adama! Dude, now he would make a good Cain....but that is for another list...
Galactica the Movie is coming soon!
Kronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 10:36 AM   #19
Malkyte
Colonial Misfit

Thanks again guys (and gals)!

I will post a poll on Adama tonight. It will be limited to 10 picks, so as to match CF's capabilities.

Malkyte