COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Default Why Tealc and Sam were not in Atlantis

https://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/s1/101.shtml
Quote:
"Carter and Teal'c are not going to be in the season premiere of Atlantis, and that I think has to do with legalities of the fact that our characters were created specifically for Stargate SG-1, and to carry us over into Atlantis would mean, I think, would mean bank-rolling one of the creators, you know, because our characters would help establish Atlantis. Rick and Michael, however -- their characters were already in the movie. So, from what I understand, Chris and I will be in Atlantis later on, but we can't be in the show that actually launches it." (Actress Amanda Tapping, in an interview with GateWorld)
I found this excellent bit of interviewing over at the Gateworld site.

I think it has alot of interesting implications in that it helps explain some of the legalities of Hollywood.

Because Sam and Tealc were created after the Stargate movie, the legal rights to them were seperate from the rights of Col Oneil and Dr Jackson. Even though they stared together for now eight years together.

We often assume Sheba and Apollo are legally the same property. Own one, you get the other. But that isn't the case. And that is one reason why Kara Thrace could not be Sheba. (Though she could have been named Athena)

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2004, 05:10 PM   #2
amberstar
Strike Leader

Quote:
We often assume Sheba and Apollo are legally the same property. Own one, you get the other. But that isn't the case. And that is one reason why Kara Thrace could not be Sheba. (Though she could have been named Athena)
That would have been better than "Starbuck".

Good find Tom
Old August 8th, 2004, 04:37 AM   #3
Sci-Fi
Bad Email Address

IMHO, Tom you are comparing apples to oranges. The original SG movie creators would still get a % of the new series, but the creators of the new characters in the SG1 TV series would not and only would get compensation for those SGA episodes in which they appeared in the spinoff, not for the entire production run. That's why you don't see Sam and Teac in the premire episode. The Sam and Teac creators can argue that their characters are essential to the success of the spinoff and should be entitled to share any profits. Conversely, BSG wasn't really a TV series spawned from a movie and the BSG creators are the same people. Unless Universal sold the character rights to Larson, they should be free to use whatever characters that were created during the original run.

It's the main reason many actors/producers/etc set up their own production and distribution companies to control the money.

Read the participation in profit section here:
https://www.realityshowpitch.tv/what%27s_the_deal$.htm

Hollywood Options:
https://www.hollywoodcomics.com/optionagr.html

Everything depends on the contract. Some contracts have an escape clause, where the rights revert to the creator IF the studio does nothing with the property for a set period of time and declines to use it after you inform them to use it or lose it. Most studios want total ownership, merchandising, dvd, remake/sequel rights, book deals, etc. etc. You need a team of lawyers to secure and insure you are getting everything you should and when.

So what they are doing in SGA is just limiting the amount of money to be paid out. Can read some of the disappointment by the original writer and producer of the Stargate Movie (Devlin and Emmerich) when MGM declined to fund their trilogy and opted for the TV series. Just do a search and you'll find plenty of interviews. Gateworld's is below:
https://www.gateworld.net/news/movienews.shtml
Not many fans of the SG1 TV series would agree, but the original SG movie fans feel they lost a golden opportunity to see more Earth mythos being explored and the original SG actors (Spader and Russell) back in action.
Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2004, 06:48 AM   #4
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Quote:
Conversely, BSG wasn't really a TV series spawned from a movie and the BSG creators are the same people. Unless Universal sold the character rights to Larson, they should be free to use whatever characters that were created during the original run.
That's not what I've heard. I've heard a number of well informed people tell me that the rights for Cain, Sheba and Pegases have always been with Larson's hands. Along with any characters and storylines developed in the series outside the orignal contract for a pilot with its extention of 4 hours of 2 sets of two hour long episodes. That's why for years Larson was trying to revive Battlestar Pegasus and not Galactica. While those of Apollo, and Starbuck and the main story of BG were awarded to Universal as part of the original contract. Though Larson purchased the film rights somehow.

Abd that was Interesing info on Stargate and its trilogy. I appreciate you bringing it up. Hopefully Stargate movie fans were happy in the end. They lost Russel and Spader, but got 8 years and a sequel.

Old August 8th, 2004, 06:50 AM   #5
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberstar

Good find Tom
My pleasure anytime

Old August 10th, 2004, 05:30 PM   #6
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberstar

Good find Tom
It was a shame they weren't in ........atlantis just isn't as good without them
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote