Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old December 5th, 2003, 01:01 PM   #1
Ian_W359
Warrior

New Galactica 2003 Article on Teletext

Hey ya! I'd thought I'd put this post here as I'm looking forward to some feedback - plus it seems more appropriate in the new series forum...

May I present to you - word for word, the following article from the 'TV Plus' section of the UK's 'Teletext on ITV1' service - transmitted on December 4th -

Quote:
GALACTICA BLASTS BACK
By Jonathan Donald

Page 1
Poorly-received '80s sci-fi drama Battlestar Galactica is making a comeback.

The camp space opera has been revived by the Sci-fi Channel, on satellite and cable, with a four-hour mini series.

ITV screened the original in 1984, but critics slated it and it relaunched as Galactica 180 after a revamp.

Producers believe they've got the new formula right, but it's been blasted by creator Glen A. Larson.

Page 2
Battlestar Galactica has been resurrected by the Sci-fi Channel.

The original was set in the seventh millenium with the human race virtually wiped out by the evil Cylons.

Led by the Galactica, the survivors had boarded a convoy of ships to find last remaining refuge, the Golden Planet.

But stalking them and unleashing repeated attacks were the Cylons. Lorne Green starred as the convoy's saviour Commander Adama.

Page 3
A Sci-fi Channel revival of Battlestar Galactica has come under fire from the original creator, Glen A. Larson.

Once again the humans are battling for survival against the Cylons.

But the aim is to tap into some of the fear following September 11, with the foes looking like humans and living among them.

Larson is unimpressed. "Change for change's sake - It's taking the title and exploiting it," he said.
An adapted version of the article can be seen at - https://uk.tv.yahoo.com/031204/128/ega27.html

By your command,
Ian W359
Ian_W359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2003, 02:36 PM   #2
Bijou88

This article misused the term "Camp" to describe the original Battlestar Galactica. Galactica was definitely not Campy. "Camp" is a term that describes an artistic style where elements of the production are exaggerated for comedic effect. A prime example would be the Batman TV series from the 1960s. The producers intentionally made the show corny so that it would be funny to sophisticated audiences. Another series that followed this route was the second and third seasons of Lost in Space. It burns me to see camp used incorrectly to refer to old TV shows. Just because a show was made before the advent of CGI does not automatically mean the series is camp. I have read some writers refer to the original Star Trek as camp! (Well, maybe "Spock's Brain" and "The Way to Eden" but the rest were serious.) In turn, Battlestar Galactica was not camp because it was not intended to be funny. It was produced as light action-adventure science fiction. It was not camp. Ron Moore's mini series might be camp but not the original.