Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old April 19th, 2003, 10:56 AM   #1
KJ
Strike Leader

Default Battlestar Galactica DVD updates so far?

What do the members of CF think of this so far:
Quote:
The new "Battlestar Galactica DVD Limited Collector's Set" will be $99.99. These are the details that are confirmed from a representative at Universal Studios Home Entertainment.

8 disc set digitally remastered
Original 3-hour pilot uncut (disc1)
Entire Battlestar Galactica series uncut
Digitally remastered video
Remastered Dolby Digital Stereo
Full Screen Aspect Ratio
Region 1 Coded
100,000 units only
Release date is tentaively scheduled for November/December 2003
Color gallery and episode synopsis
Interview with Glen A. Larson
First tipbits so far or will this bit of info be upgraded in months to come, hopefully with more extras!!!...The term uncut is loosely used. november is way off hope they consider remastering the set in 5.1 and add a hell of alot more. Wasn't the Australia region 4 DVD boxset set held off because they said the next version will be special?

Except for the uncut episodes and possibly the pilot, there is no mention of deleted scenes, bloopers, scripts, SFX documentaries, documentaries in general, seperate audio track, storyboards etc, and have the pilot episode mastered onto a DVD-18 disc etc.

Fans have mailed the TPTB about the DVD's so this is somewhat insulting knowing we're an intelligent group of fans who always shout out what we want. Depite the early news of a DVD set for the 25th anniversary i feel this will be a barebone release with little thought put in.

If the unused footage over the years is gone better tell us now TPTB? rather than get are hopes dashed that is will pale in comparsion to other sci-fi franchises being released on DVD like Farscape, Star Trek, Stargate, Space 1999, Buffy/Angel, The Invisible Man, Andromeda etc.

Battlestar Galactica is big and is still remembered today quite well thank you Hollywood dispite sci-fi channel's constant disrespect of it and other beloved 1970's properties? So can you please us what can and cannot be put in the discs before November/December rolls around.

If the Australian region 4 version was stopped because we're suppose to get a superior boxset version of Battlestar on DVD. Then this list pales in compasion to my unbias, realistic, envisioned ideal BG boxset.

Who here agrees with me this list needs more?

KJ
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2003, 11:09 AM   #2
LordStarFyre
Warrior

Default Howdy KJ

KJ, my worries on this DVD are as follows:

1: They'll use Artwork from the Moore Abomination for the cover art.

2: They'll Pollute it with "making of" garbage from the Moore Abomination.

3: (worst case scenerio) They do some kind of "commentary track" With MooreRon and Fat, Balding Guy, commenting on how each and every scene is so inferior to their "masterpiece".

Hopefully, I'm completely wrong, and the DVD will be EXACTLY what we've waited for.

Should I start holding my breath now?

As it is, I won't be getting the Video Game, as I'm not spending a nickle on anything that has anything to do with the Moore Abomination, and the Video Game is dedicated to Cadet Zoot Suit, not the True Adama.
LordStarFyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2003, 11:24 AM   #3
KJ
Strike Leader

Default I agree

100,000 units? some one was smoking in and didn't blow out or exhale the smoke when that decision was made? importers, ebay pirates, with suck up all the boxsets quick and leave the 95% of us without a set. 100,000 THEY MUST BE RETARDED!!!..start with 5 million and increase them when they sellout (Trust me BG DVD boxsets would sellout!!!..)

LSF your worries are shared by all fans.

KJ
Old April 19th, 2003, 11:38 AM   #4
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

Now that the MooreRon behind the scenes documentry is not in the set I'll buy it.

Yes-yes, I hope they add more not moore.
Another Film Maker
Sept17th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2003, 12:15 PM   #5
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

It looks like the Australian DVDs had more extras. There is also mention of a G-1980 DVD set.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2003, 12:49 PM   #6
LucianG
Warrior

I think 5 million would be excessive, but limiting the production to 100,000 is definitely thinking small...real small. Of course, when demand is significantly higher than they are expecting, they can do another run.

Speaking of thinking small, that's always been part of the problem with TPTB with regards to BG. They don't know what they had, or what they could have.

"Tilting at the SciFi windmill"
LucianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2003, 08:06 PM   #7
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

100,000 is way small if Scooter was right about the quantities Richard's 1st 2 books have sold. (even if I'm remembering them with an extra zero, its too small a quantity.

Jewels
If "the abomination" continues: this box set will be my only Universal Home Video purchase for the next year or 2.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2003, 06:22 PM   #8
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

So far this doesn't sound too bad Lord KJ. Remastered, uncut and DD 2.0 is not so bad. I was hoping that at least for the pilot it would be anamorphic widescreen and DD 5.1 but I guess I'm dreaming. If it comes out as adverstised I will buy it in a heartbeat. Maybe if they see great numbers they will do what they have done with Trek movies and release a special edition with all the extras we are so dearly craving. I for one have no qualms about buying it twice (current + special edition) if it helps get the ponies out of the gate .

Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2003, 10:20 AM   #9
KJ
Strike Leader

Long as the don't rip us off yeah. but considering the first BG DVD was nothing to talk about accept the sharp picture, i want 5.1 with extras DVD's should be full of extras considering they cost alot more than VHS tape.

I'd gladly pay for better picture quality print, 5.1 sound with DTS or THX, a few documentaries, trailers, galleries, commentaries, deleted footage etc cos with digital technology making the old TV and movie classics better. I would pay extra to get that all on a DVD. But if they mess up and miss out on tons of stuff. then their not doing BG any favors or justice!

KJ
Old April 27th, 2003, 09:49 AM   #10
AslanC

I must say as someone who worked as a distributor of books, comics, dvds and other collectables, you are always going to sell a lot more of a $5 product than a $99 product.

That said 100,000 is low.

I hope I will be able to get one.
Old April 27th, 2003, 10:34 AM   #11
Krystal
Bad Email Address

Are this going to be accesible from stores like Amazon? I'm just wondering.

Krystal
Krystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2003, 12:42 PM   #12
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Quote:
Originally posted by Krystal
Are this going to be accesible from stores like Amazon? I'm just wondering.

Krystal

Amazon will be selling the sets.

kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2003, 02:22 PM   #13
Krystal
Bad Email Address

Cool, thanks for the answer kingfish. I'm really interested in it.
Krystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2003, 09:23 AM   #14
dvo47p
Bad Email Address

Default Univesal has done market research on the DVD release

If the 100,000 special edition sells out, Universal will cut more...... and just call it 'New' whatever?????

Hell, how many VHS versions of 'Star Wars' has Lucas sold?

I've had two DVD versions of Blade Runner........

Remember when Scifi put the 'digitally enhanced' BSG on during the five hour daytime old show rerun format. That is what the DVD set shall be.

The only 'extra' stuff will be Glen A. Larson interview

I have my pre-order in with amazon.com..

I did the same pre-order thing with the DVD 'The Day the Earth Stood Still', that Scifi classic was 'limited' to 100,000 DVD's & is still available……I don't know if the original 100,000 sold out.

Last edited by dvo47p; June 2nd, 2003 at 09:36 AM..
dvo47p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2003, 10:49 AM   #15
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

How did you do the pre-order, dvo? All I've seen is the "we'll email you when it's available thing"

Jewels

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2003, 02:43 PM   #16
LucianG
Warrior

Jewels,

The pre-order "we'll e-mail you" is all Amazon is offering right now. However, that let's them judge the potential interest of consumers. If the "pre-order" numbers are large as the production date nears, the 100,000 run will probably be expanded to take advantage of the BG-starved marketplace. If not, the 100,000 run will go, and they'll make more when they need them.

Lucian

"Tilting at the SciFi windmill"
LucianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2003, 03:00 PM   #17
oldwardaggit
You old war daggit!

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner/Webmaster
RadioGalactica

The extras that I would love to see, would be the hyped up commercials for Galactica that were shown on ABC. The trailers for the theatrical release. The cut scenes. And last but most surely not the least, the one thing that would make more copies sell in a heart beat.

Richard Hatches 4 1/2 minute trailer (The second coming)

Come on Universal, give Richard some cash and put the trailer on the new DVD box set.

OWD

OWD

Last edited by oldwardaggit; June 2nd, 2003 at 09:54 PM..
oldwardaggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2003, 08:01 PM   #18
dvo47p
Bad Email Address

Default We will advise you if when this product becomes available

Yeah jewels, I did this for 'The Day the Earth Stood Still',

I guess I screwed up a little. Pre-order is done for a sure thing like TLotR Twin Towers. I do Richard Hatch's books pre-order, sort of a way to show support for him & what he tried to do with BSG.

Quote:
Originally posted by jewels How did you do the pre-order, dvo? All I've seen is the "we'll email you when it's available thing"Jewels
I read stories in The New Republic or The Weekly Standard, a writer will use these numbers to make points about an author and/or book by the number of ordered @ Amazon.

jewels, I bet Ron D. Moore, Bonnie Hammer & Glen A. Larson know how Hatch's book sales have done.

Last edited by dvo47p; June 2nd, 2003 at 08:09 PM..
Old June 3rd, 2003, 05:16 AM   #19
dvo47p
Bad Email Address

Default From OWD's post to the Universal DVD guys ear

I could see the hyped up commercials & theatrical trailers, but I doubt it. We will see Larson.......

Quote:
Originally posted by oldwardaggit The extras that I would love to see, would be the hyped up commercials for Galactica that were shown on ABC. The trailers for the theatrical release. The cut scenes. And last but most surely not the least, the one thing that would make more copies sell in a heart beat.Richard Hatches 4 1/2 minute trailer (The second coming)Come on Universal, give Richard some cash and put the trailer on the new DVD box set. OWD
Richard's Battlestar Galactica: The Second Coming has about as much of a chance off making the DVD set as I do of growing wings and flying to Nova Scotia, today.

OWD, Ronald D. Moore's version would suffer in comparision.
Old June 3rd, 2003, 10:53 AM   #20
oldwardaggit
You old war daggit!

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner/Webmaster
RadioGalactica

TRUE.

OWD

OWD
oldwardaggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2003, 05:27 PM   #21
dvo47p
Bad Email Address

Default Bonnie has everybody figured out......yeah right

Really, The Scifi Channel is making money so they know who will watch what, , ah the hubris of Bonnie, even the real networks cannot do this!

Sci-Fi has conducted extensive research in recent years to figure out what the "modern" lover of the genre might be, Bonnie Hammer said.

So here is Bonnie’s idea of science fiction fans.

https://www.colonialfleets.com/forums...&threadid=3301

'Sci-philes,' 'escapists' and 'young Marvels'

We are the “die-hard, traditional viewer who might love the original "Star Trek" and its spinoffs, "Space: 1999," "Logan's Run," ”BSG”, etc. Hammer calls us "sci-philes."

Another set of viewers, which Hammer calls "escapists," is predominantly female. These are fans "who love good soap operas, who love great character development, great storytelling, but with a twist," she said. The escapists are helping to boost the box office proceeds of "The Matrix Reloaded" right now, and also enjoyed "The Lord of the Rings" and "Harry Potter" film series.

The third group is a young male audience that likes stories about superheroes. Hammer refers to them as the "young Marvels." "Spider-Man" and the two "X-Men" movies have large appeal for this crowd.

I think she has tried to make BSG lite for both the ‘Sci-philes’ and ‘escapists’. She has united TOS fans against the BSG lite show. I bet escapist will tune into a 90210 in space, & if Moore is telling the truth Olmos, MARY McDONNELL and who ever will be Baltar are not young.

Jamie Bamber & Katee Sackhoff will not steam up the screen. I guess the Cylons come with vibrators. I bet Galactica 2003 will be another ‘Wing Commander’ or maybe a kinder and gentler Starship Troopers (the shower), any thoughts?