Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old May 16th, 2003, 07:16 AM   #1
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Question Beating A DEAD Horse

One could explain until blue in the face that this new show isn't Galactica. The argument falls on deaf ears. There is no logic to why this show is superior to tos Galactica except the argument except that the writer is the great Ron Moore. he may have worked on Star Trek but he didn't create it. For greatness one must look to JMS who created B5 from scratch.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2003, 08:33 AM   #2
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Thumbs up

Couldn't agree more, Kingfish, but you didn't carry the argument far enough.

Yes, our words fall on deaf ears when we're dealing with TPTB. At this stage, that's understandable. They're half-way through shooting. The Moore/Hammer/Eick machine is in gear and plowing ahead.

That doesn't mean we can't still be effective. There are two things we can do that could have a definite impact on both the production and the perceived success of this production.

One, we hit them where it hurts them the most = the wallet. We inform the advertisers at SFC of the consequences of supporting this mini, suggest they make sure none of their ads appear during the broadcast. If we do that job right, advertisers pull out and the commercial time for those four hours gets cheap, which means skiffy takes it in the shorts.

Second, we educate the public we're supposed to represent. These are the people who don't know that the mini is not Galactica (TPTB know it already). I talked to the paralegal in my office just yesterday - they don't have cable, but had caught the BSG marathon a couple of months ago on a trip. I told her about the "new" effort, and she was appalled (I'm getting her ticket stubs from X2, by the way). If this job gets done right, then only Vince and Ted will watch the damn thing when and if it airs.

We can do this, Kingfish. And we can do it better if you are working with us.

What say you, warrior?

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2003, 09:07 AM   #3
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

I am talking about Moore's supporters and not TPTB. TPTB haven't taken their side no matter how many letters they suppossedly wrote. The direction was established by TPTB and not fandom for various reasons.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2003, 09:46 AM   #4
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Default Re: Beating A DEAD Horse

Quote:
Originally posted by kingfish
There is no logic to why this show is superior to tos Galactica except the argument except that the writer is the great Ron Moore.
That may have been true in the time pf the Milton Collective.
But now i think you will find the discussion a lot more challanging than a guy with a lot of handles "Gushing" over Moore.
I think you will also find more gradation of support for the project from lukewarm to actual excitment.
Hito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2003, 10:19 AM   #5
Agelastus
Warrior

Default Re: Beating A DEAD Horse

Quote:
Originally posted by kingfish
One could explain until blue in the face that this new show isn't Galactica. The argument falls on deaf ears.
Quite right.

Moore has an "idea". To him it doesn't matter what he tramples on as long as his "idea" sees the light of day, no matter how lame, unoriginal and demeaning that "idea" is.

He's like the flashy new convert who takes centre stage and makes the religion what he believes it should be, not what it actually was.
Old May 16th, 2003, 10:57 AM   #6
LordStarFyre
Warrior

Default Actually Hito

What I'm seeing, since Vince and Ted were found out to be the Milton Collective, all we have now is Ted, Dennis, and 2 or 3 others who claim the Mini is the best thing since sliced bread, and many, many more saying Moore is dead wrong and this Mini is an Abomination.

You know, had Moore been as smart as he claims he is, or if he was the Prolific writer Ted claims he is, he should have created something NEW, Original, and left Galactica alone.

However, Moore has never created anything new. And, if what I'm hearing from some Folks who have worked with him is correct, there's a really good reason he has never created anything new.

That being, he is incapable of it.

Seriously Hito, MANY of us would have gone along with Moore if he had opted to take his script far back into the Galactica Universe History, and made a Flight from Kobol Prequel out of it. It would not have taken that much work, and the payoff would have been, for Moore and Eick at any rate, not nearly the amount of animosity they have now.

Moore's own Arrogance is going to come back and bite him on the butt one of these days, and that Hugo he got isn't going to save him.

Even Fence sitters are starting to fall off the Moore Fence, as each piece of news about how badly they are redesigning everything is coming out.

It's gone beyond Cylon Handjobs, and Dyfunctional Drunks, but moved into Retractable Landing Bays, and that Moooreonic Split Screens and Soundless Battles.
LordStarFyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2003, 11:08 AM   #7
KJ
Strike Leader

Default Hey Hito?

How come your avatar of a Colonial Warrior Viper helmet is green? shouldn't it be gold!

Nice avatar though
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2003, 11:18 AM   #8
Agelastus
Warrior

Default Re: Actually Hito

Quote:
Originally posted by LordStarFyre
It's gone beyond Cylon Handjobs, and Dyfunctional Drunks, but moved into Retractable Landing Bays, and that Moooreonic Split Screens and Soundless Battles.
Not that I disagree in the least regarding the landing bays, but we probably have Larson to blame for this in a way.

After all, whether or not he or Thurston had the idea, that's how the Galactica's bays are described in the early parts of the novelisation of "Saga of a Star World".

Of course, one does wonder if Mr. Moore has ever even heard of these books....................................
Old May 16th, 2003, 12:56 PM   #9
LordStarFyre
Warrior

Default Actually KJ

I kinda like Hito's Avatars as of late.

You should see one of the other ones he uses on another board. Animated, and kinda Aztec/Cylon looking.

It's too bad that one can't be used here.

Hey Hito, weren't you gonna make the glow bars glow on the Helmet?

Also, How about doing one in Glossy Black, with white siding, and Metallic Silver Eagle?
Old May 16th, 2003, 12:58 PM   #10
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

I'd use a black helmet for an avatar any day.

Suits my more sinister side....

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2003, 01:41 AM   #11
Senmut
Strike Leader

RDM went after BSG for the same reason a locust goes after corn. He's a parasite, with the creativity of a manhole cover. He seems to be able to create nothing, but snatches other things to keep himself employed. No more, and probably a lot less!
A dead horse? The only thing dead here is RDM's brain.

-"You know the nght before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head."-Mike Hammer

:upchuck:
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2003, 09:20 AM   #12
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Default Re: Actually KJ

Quote:
Originally posted by LordStarFyre
I kinda like Hito's Avatars as of late.

You should see one of the other ones he uses on another board. Animated, and kinda Aztec/Cylon looking.

It's too bad that one can't be used here.

Hey Hito, weren't you gonna make the glow bars glow on the Helmet?

Also, How about doing one in Glossy Black, with white siding, and Metallic Silver Eagle?
I tried the black but the best i could come up with was a really dark (like charcoal) grey and silver crest.

What i'll do a little later is post a photoshop document set up so that people can change the helmet color to whatever they want.
Hito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2003, 10:38 AM   #13
LordStarFyre
Warrior

Default Cool Hito!!!!!

Thanks. I know with the black background on this place it might be tough doing a black helmet, unless you backlight the thing.

Thanks!!!!!