Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old April 24th, 2003, 03:42 PM   #1
JSC1
Warrior

Default Question about rights

If the re-imagining is made, does it have to go to air for Universal to retain the rights to Galactica? Can it just be made and Universal can sit on it indefinitely, and the rights would not revert back to Larson?
JSC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2003, 03:58 PM   #2
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFormer Assistant
Richard Hatch

Good question! I'll look into it.

I jsut thought of somehting else, too- what is likely happening is that Universal and SciFi have negotiated a deal based on a newly developed property using certain features of the show BSG, created by Glen Larson. That means that they have a certain set of key rights to which they can claim infringement against.

For instance, they couldn't say anythogn about a picture of "Starbuck" unless it's Katee Whatshername. They would, in all probability, have nothing to say about a photo of Dirk being used.

As far as the name 'Battlestar Galactica', I think the new production only has the right to use it, not ownership of it. I don't think even Universal has complete ownership of the name. (I would love to know exactly who really owns what in this thing. Without that information, all this is jsut speculation, no more.)
Micheleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2003, 05:08 PM   #3
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

I believe Larson can make a big screen version. Don't quote me however.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2003, 05:11 PM   #4
repcisg
Bad Email Address

According to the copyright and trademark sites (US Gov) the name Battlestar Galactica belongs to Universal. It would also appear the basic story belongs to them as well. But Glen Larson own's the "Artistic Rights" to the original production.

Look closely at the script of the new mini, it has been carefully crafted to avoid using anything originated by Larson. Thus the new mini will be the sole property of Universal. They can show it on any of their channels or lease it out.

What is not known is, must they actually show it. Or do they simply need to make a new show and have it in the can. I'm guessing here but I think they must show it at least once. There was a lawsuit filed by Larson against Universal in 1999 over this very subject. His rights were confirmed.
repcisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2003, 05:15 PM   #5
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Quote:
Originally posted by repcisg
According to the copyright and trademark sites (US Gov) the name Battlestar Galactica belongs to Universal. It would also appear the basic story belongs to them as well. But Glen Larson own's the "Artistic Rights" to the original production.

Look closely at the script of the new mini, it has been carefully crafted to avoid using anything originated by Larson. Thus the new mini will be the sole property of Universal. They can show it on any of their channels or lease it out.

What is not known is, must they actually show it. Or do they simply need to make a new show and have it in the can. I'm guessing here but I think they must show it at least once. There was a lawsuit filed by Larson against Universal in 1999 over this very subject. His rights were confirmed.
They may decide to do a Hawaii Five-O. The movie was shot but never aired.
Old April 24th, 2003, 05:16 PM   #6
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFormer Assistant
Richard Hatch

So they show it once for the sole purpose of retaining rights, and lose it forevermore, with a big loss statement. Back to square one- that's why it is so important for us to be unified and ready.
Micheleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2003, 12:09 AM   #7
repcisg
Bad Email Address

Universal (which includes SciFi) has a dual problem right now. On the one hand they need to sell of the as much of Universal as possible. That means convincing investors they have viable products to sell, such as the new Battlestar mini. On the other hand SciFi does not provide all the financing for Ron Moore, they use investors, if the show goes south SciFi and Universal will lose very little money, the investors will take the hit.

Now the problem is the Investors have learned to scan the internet, they look at BBoards to see what the fans are saying. If it looks like a particular project is going against what the fans at large want the Investors go elsewhere.

We need to target the money sources, that is where we've been hurting them and where we need to focus our energies.
Old April 25th, 2003, 12:54 AM   #8
Scooter2000
COMPLETELY BANNED

Please people can we please not advertise our tactics!

-Ronald D. Moore-
Scooter2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2003, 06:57 AM   #9
dah66
Warrior

Hmmmmm. If Glen Larson does have theatrical and artistic rights, then a producer, like maybe Tom DeSanto, could work with Glen to create a Battlestar franchise that is separate from what Universal has planed. Since the term "galactica" has been used in other works, I doubt that Universal could stop Larson from making a film titled "Galactica."

From what I remember, Larson has the theatrical rights for a Pegasus feature. If Universal holds the rights to the actual ship and alien designs, then I would imagine that Larson could apply his artistic rights towards creating similar designs for his new production. I think this would be legal as long as they are reasonably different -- meaning, consumers would be able to differentiate the designs between the two productions.

Currently, Larson is moving forward with his theatrical version of Knight Rider. If that is a financial success, then I would be willing to bet that a Larson produced Battlestar film will soon follow. Unless, Universal is willing to pay Larson to not exercise his rights. They might be willing to do this so that they can have creative control over all related Battlestar properties.

In a perfect world, Glen Larson, Richard Hatch, and Tom DeSanto would all work together to develop a series of Bryan Singer directed Battlestar movies that would leave Universal and their miserable remake in the dust.

Dave
dah66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2003, 09:51 AM   #10
repcisg
Bad Email Address

Un fortunatly the foundation story line belongs to Universal, Pegasus is based on that foundation. It's a real catch 22.
Old April 25th, 2003, 12:45 PM   #11
dah66
Warrior

Ah, so Larson would need Universal's approval to use the foundation story? Or, he would need to create an entirely new foundation story for a Pegasus film?
dah66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2003, 12:50 PM   #12
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default Larson

He may be back sooner than later.
Old April 25th, 2003, 12:58 PM   #13
the3rdhuman
Bad Email Address

Default Kingfish

Larson back in what type of capacity? Can you elaborate or not?

Thanks
the3rdhuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2003, 01:02 PM   #14
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default Re: Kingfish

Quote:
Originally posted by the3rdhuman
Larson back in what type of capacity? Can you elaborate or not?

Thanks

I have been reading many posts at https://subspacebbs.com Galactica 2003 forum. I don't know what to make of them however.
Old April 25th, 2003, 01:27 PM   #15
repcisg
Bad Email Address

The foundation storyline is the Colonial universe of which Pegasus is part. Glen would need Universals aproval to do a Pegasus story. Which is why he hasn't produced it yet.