Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old March 17th, 2003, 07:07 PM   #1
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Default New Galactica promo on Dune

wooo looo, wooo looo (hey they got the cylon sound correct!!!)

That was pretty cool. And totally ambiguous. Complete and total teaser!!

Loved it! Now lets get the rest right!

and yes Michael it did say December 2003, but who knows how long ago they put the channel's own promos in place, into the mini. Let's just hope they don't work everyone to death to make that deadline!
Jewels

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2003, 06:22 AM   #2
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default I Saw The Promo

Hopefully they have seen the light otherwise we will need our flashlights.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2003, 11:25 AM   #3
dvo47p
Bad Email Address

Default I caught one, also

On during ‘The Children of Dune’. it lasted about five seconds long, it was lifted straight from https://www.scifi.com/battlestar with nothing new, but I missed the December 2003.
dvo47p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2003, 12:31 PM   #4
repcisg
Bad Email Address

I can hear the argument now, "But Mr. Davis, we cann't cancel it now, we've started advertising it."
repcisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2003, 03:18 PM   #5
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

I have to agree with jewels, it was kind of cool. I see they've redesigned the logo somewhat, but it's so small, even with my glases I can't make it out too well.

Peter
peter noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2003, 03:35 PM   #6
guittarjedi

It's definitely a cool promo. Now if they can only make a cool show to match.
Old March 20th, 2003, 03:42 PM   #7
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

I taped Dune and will watch it tonight.
Just downloaded the promo tho.
I think i will lift the cylon scanner sound for my own use
Hito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2003, 03:56 PM   #8
Cosmic Cleric

Wondering what will happen when everybody who saw the teaser tunes in to watch the mini series and see humanoid Cylons without the bouncing light?
Old March 20th, 2003, 04:01 PM   #9
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

I dunno why that would be.
The script I read had the old school Mechanical Cylons.
Old March 20th, 2003, 04:18 PM   #10
Cosmic Cleric

Quote:
Originally posted by Hito
I dunno why that would be.
The script I read had the old school Mechanical Cylons.
Granted I don't spend as much time here as you do Hito, so I may be wrong on this, but if I remember correctly, I had read that there would be only a "token" appearance of the robotic Cyclons, and that mostly they would be humanoid in appearance, to save on production costs.
Old March 20th, 2003, 04:23 PM   #11
Artemis
Warrior

The script I read had mechanical ones in almost all the scenes with the humanoid ones. The exception being the one in Baltar's mind, his Harvey that only he could see.
I still prefer the reptilian origins anyway and the IL series was the best.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2003, 04:28 PM   #12
the3rdhuman
Bad Email Address

Default I don't recall a strong emphasis on the origin of man

In the RDM story, which in my opinion was the most intruiging aspect of Galactica. Maybe Ron should read the works of von Daniken and apply some of this theology to his "masterpiece". Do we really need more techno-babble?
the3rdhuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2003, 04:45 PM   #13
AlternityOrange
Warrior

COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

In the script I read there were only four "traditional" Cylons, five counting a museam prop piece) Two sets of two appearing in exactly two scenes. One scene for each pair so they only need two costumes They appear only in the background for a total of about five minutes of screen time and have no dialogue. You can't get much more "token appearance" than that. I suppose that could have been changed in subsequent drafts though.

One of the "images" of Galactica that always stuck in my mind from my childhood viewings was the legions of Cylons marching. Dozens all in a row, it was very striking to me as a child. This script definitely doesn't have that.

-Edward James Olmos
AlternityOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2003, 04:49 PM   #14
Artemis
Warrior

I was refering to the origin of the cylons in the original not the origin of man. :confused: RDM's cylons were built by humans.
Is this techno-babble?
Old March 20th, 2003, 05:00 PM   #15
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default Original Cylons

They were a reptilian race who copied our bodies but made them bigger and stronger. The reptilians all died off and the mechanical Cylons were left behind. In Richard's books it is suggested that there is a reptile underneath the body armor.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2003, 05:19 PM   #16
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by AlternityOrange
In the script I read there were only four "traditional" Cylons, five counting a museam prop piece) Two sets of two appearing in exactly two scenes. One scene for each pair so they only need two costumes They appear only in the background for a total of about five minutes of screen time and have no dialogue. You can't get much more "token appearance" than that. I suppose that could have been changed in subsequent drafts though.

One of the "images" of Galactica that always stuck in my mind from my childhood viewings was the legions of Cylons marching. Dozens all in a row, it was very striking to me as a child. This script definitely doesn't have that.
I dont remember that in Saga of star world.
I rember a lot of shots of cylons in corridores in colums of 2 and a lot of shots of there legs.

I definatly think that the machines cylons need to have a bigger presence than was in the script i read tho.

Quote:
Originally posted by the3rdhuman
In the RDM story, which in my opinion was the most intruiging aspect of Galactica. Maybe Ron should read the works of von Daniken and apply some of this theology to his "masterpiece". Do we really need more techno-babble?
The use of Tech-Bable in the script was very light but i was still disapointed by Moores use of it.
But to be fair the original series used not only Techno-babble but colonial-babble as well.
Tho I think the colonial-bable gave the show a unique flavor.

I havent had a chance to read much of either ones work but from what i have seen I think I prefer Graham Hancock over Von Daniken.

Quote:
Originally posted by kingfish
They were a reptilian race who copied our bodies but made them bigger and stronger. The reptilians all died off and the mechanical Cylons were left behind. In Richard's books it is suggested that there is a reptile underneath the body armor.
In Series novels too.
I prefered thinking that the Cylons were Cyberneticaly augmented reptiles, made them seem more scary.
The Cylons in the adaption of the young warriors were machines tho because the lizard ones died of disease and Lucifer had them built so he could maintain appearances.

I knew that I could never again raise my voice against the violence of the oppressed in the ghettos without having first spoken clearly to the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today -- my own government....
~ Dr. Martin Luther King ~

I can hear God saying to America: “You are too arrogant! If you don't change your ways, I will rise up and break the backbone of your power!"
Old March 21st, 2003, 09:51 AM   #17
Artemis
Warrior

I don't remember ever seeing more than about 6 cylons at any one time in the original series. They also suffered from budget constraints. I read that many warrior had only jackets and no pants because there weren't enough to go around, they would only shoot them from the waist up.
Old March 21st, 2003, 10:10 AM   #18
sdoziernc1
Bad Email Address

Default Greetings

I'm over here for the first time from the SCIFI Channel board and this is my first posting here - hello everyone.
sdoziernc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2003, 10:39 AM   #19
Cosmic Cleric

Quote:
Originally posted by Artemis
I don't remember ever seeing more than about 6 cylons at any one time in the original series. They also suffered from budget constraints.
Ok, maybe your right on this (I've never bothered to count them), but there is a difference between seeing only up to six robotic Cylons in EVERY episode vs. seeing a few robotic Cylons in a single/few episodes.

Face it, they're doing a Galactica 1980 where they replace the heavy usage of robotic Cylons for human ones, to save on production costs. For me, this was one of the big turn offs for me for Galactica 1980. And yes, all shows have budget concerns, but they usually don't destroy one of their biggest assets because of budget concerns, because they know that the story will suffer, and then viewership will suffer.

Think of it this way. Every show has their big bad guys. For Star Trek, is the Borg, Stargate-SG1 its Replicators, etc. etc. To replace BSGs bad guys with watered down humanoid replacements would do the same thing to the show as what happened to the Borg on Voyager (weakened until they were not scary anymore). The story will suffer, and hence, the viewership will suffer (if Galactica 1980 didn't prove this, then nothing would!).
Old March 21st, 2003, 11:07 AM   #20
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Cosmic Cleric

Think of it this way. Every show has their big bad guys. For Star Trek, is the Borg, Stargate-SG1 its Replicators, etc. etc. To replace BSGs bad guys with watered down humanoid replacements would do the same thing to the show as what happened to the Borg on Voyager (weakened until they were not scary anymore). The story will suffer, and hence, the viewership will suffer (if Galactica 1980 didn't prove this, then nothing would!).
You are kinda arguing against your own point CC.
On one hand i see yourr point that since they are telling the story from the begining, it would be really cool to have establishing shots of this massive mechanical cylon army.
But the reason the borg and the replecators are as effective as they were in TNG and SG1 is that they were only brought out on rare occasions.
The Borg stoped being the big bad they once were when they were on Voyager so often and had begun to get the smack laid down on them regularly.

Thats what would happen to the Cylons if they were to be on Galactica all the time in the numbers you are talking about.
If they were on all the time and the colonials were always able to beat them back then they would no longer seem so threatening.

Larson realized this in the original series.
He chose to ease up on the cylon presence becasue they were becoming ubiquitous or unthreatening.
So by the time they dropped "Hand of God" you were ready to go "oh Fuc|{ the cylons!" not "oh.. the cylons agian?"

I knew that I could never again raise my voice against the violence of the oppressed in the ghettos without having first spoken clearly to the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today -- my own government....

I can hear God saying to America: “You are too arrogant! If you don't change your ways, I will rise up and break the backbone of your power!"
Old March 21st, 2003, 11:43 AM   #21
Artemis
Warrior

It's kind of like in Alien and Alien 2. The first one had one alien that just couldn't be killed and in the sequel they were dying all over the place, they weren't nearly as scary. Granted the humans were better armed in the sequel but they did seem to loose their fearsomeness by being so common.
I think RDM was trying to feed off the fear of you never know if the person next to you is the enemy or not till its too late cliche. Like I said in an earlier post I prefer the reptilian origins but I do think that they could be made more menacing, a kid could run away from the original ones.
Old March 21st, 2003, 12:19 PM   #22
KJ
Strike Leader

Quote:
Quote by Hito The Borg stoped being the big bad they once were when they were on voyager so often and had begun to get the smack laid down on them regularly
That was going to happen, had the Borg remained the same all conquering force they once were. Everyone would have asked the question "Shouldn't the Federation have fallen by now against the Borg" And we were going to see the place in the Delta sector of space where the Borg were based anyways! The Borg, The Dominion, Species 8472, The Q beings. Seems the Trek universe is more dangerous than most of the other sci-fi universes.

After being exposed to certain villains regardless of their dangerous rep. All of them become overused at some point. So either we see a new spin on them or writers of science fiction like to use them to introduce newer villians to spice things up, this is a rule of televison. Why else did we see human villians in "The Eastern Alliance!"

KJ

Last edited by KJ; March 21st, 2003 at 12:25 PM..
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2003, 02:25 PM   #23
Cosmic Cleric

Quote:
Originally posted by Hito

You are kinda arguing against your own point CC.
On one hand i see yourr point that since they are telling the story from the begining, it would be really cool to have establishing shots of this massive mechanical cylon army.
But the reason the borg and the replecators are as effective as they were in TNG and SG1 is that they were only brought out on rare occasions.
The Borg stoped being the big bad they once were when they were on Voyager so often and had begun to get the smack laid down on them regularly.

Thats what would happen to the Cylons if they were to be on Galactica all the time in the numbers you are talking about.
If they were on all the time and the colonials were always able to beat them back then they would no longer seem so threatening.

Larson realized this in the original series.
He chose to ease up on the cylon presence becasue they were becoming ubiquitous or unthreatening.
So by the time they dropped "Hand of God" you were ready to go "oh Fuc|{ the cylons!" not "oh.. the cylons agian?"
Let me try this again, as it seems you missed my point (or more correctly mixed them together). I'm not talking about 'quantity' so much as I am of 'type'.

Believability. For me, that's what it comes down to. When I'm watching something that makes me forget that I'm watching a tv/movie, then in my mind its a good story.

In Star Trek, you get the bumpy headed alien of the week, because either doing CGI or elaborate costumes would cost too much (how friggin hard is it to throw a carpet over an actor lying down and call it a Horta?!). So after a while of watching Star Trek (any incarnation) your taken out of the story when you see the Nth bumpy headed alien. You don't live the story and think its an alien anymore, but just another actor with a rubber head mask painted differently than the one you saw the week before.

For BSG, seeing humanoids as Cyclons does the same thing; it pulls you out of the story and makes it not believable, because you know they are doing it just for budgetary reasons. That's what I hated about BSG 1980 (well, er, one of the reasons anyway).

To answer your point, you've got to have the bad guys in every episode (or almost every anyways) or else the good guys don't have anything to do! So, do you want to see robotic Cylons (in any quantity) or humanoid Cylons (in any quantity)? Their robotic nature is what made Cyclons special and memoriable. Humanoid Cyclons aren't. ANYTHING can be overdone and abused, but I'll remind you that when the BSG spoiler was shown during the Children of Dune, you didn't see a human's eyes moving back and forth and his/her mouth making a humming noise, you saw a robotic sensor light moving back and forth and a robotic humming sound. Branding. Recognition. The Galactica ship, Vipers, Cyclons, they are the branding/recognizing icons that people remember (besides obviously the actors).

I'm not arguing to the quantity of Cyclons, but that there shouldn't be humanoid ones, and there should be robotic ones. Putting ANY quantity of robotic Cylons in the background as a token gesture is not enjoyable to watch. It reminds one of what they are not getting, one of the icons of BSG.
Old March 21st, 2003, 02:35 PM   #24
Cosmic Cleric

Quote:
It's kind of like in Alien and Alien 2. The first one had one alien that just couldn't be killed and in the sequel they were dying all over the place, they weren't nearly as scary. Granted the humans were better armed in the sequel but they did seem to loose their fearsomeness by being so common.
For me they were just as scary in both, but in a different way. Alien 1 was in a suspense way, and 2 in a adrenalin rush/panic sort of way.

The whole point in 1 was that this was a mining crew, not professional fighters, so only one alien ruined their whole day (with the help of a psychotic android). In 2, professionals with big toys were involved, but they still got their asses kicked because they were not taking the danger seriously. Then they had to recover to save their lives (and almost didn't do it). That scene when one of the marines moves the ceiling tile/cover off and looks up and see all of the aliens crawling upside down on the true ceiling towards him was a great/scary scene for me.

Quote:
I think RDM was trying to feed off the fear of you never know if the person next to you is the enemy or not till its too late cliche. Like I said in an earlier post I prefer the reptilian origins but I do think that they could be made more menacing, a kid could run away from the original ones.
For me at least, the problem is that any "humanoid" alien is becoming cliche. Or at least, the lack of variety is. For example, say what you want about the last Star Wars movie, but those tall slim clone making aliens were VERY cool and neat to watch. Wouldn't you want to watch a weekly tv show where one of the crew was one of them? Or another humanoid bumpy head alien?
Old March 21st, 2003, 03:04 PM   #25
Artemis
Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Cosmic Cleric

For example, say what you want about the last Star Wars movie, but those tall slim clone making aliens were VERY cool and neat to watch. Wouldn't you want to watch a weekly tv show where one of the crew was one of them? Or another humanoid bumpy head alien?
They were pretty cool. I do like to see aliens that are different beyond a few facial bumps. Unfortunately the less humanoid an alien the more it costs, they just won't do that for a weekly TV series.
Old March 21st, 2003, 03:42 PM   #26
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

I always thought the aliens on Babylon 5 were well done. A bit more ambitious than the usual Trek fare, and with a lower budget to work with.

Regards,

Peter
Old March 21st, 2003, 03:46 PM   #27
Artemis
Warrior

B5 did have a better variety than most.
Old March 22nd, 2003, 04:37 AM   #28
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

I saw the prome on SG1 last night 12/03
S