Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old October 22nd, 2011, 09:54 AM   #1
jjrakman

Exclamation Bryan Singer puts Anonymous writer to work on Battlestar Galactica movie

https://www.joblo.com/movie-news/brya...alactica-movie
Old October 22nd, 2011, 10:08 AM   #2
Gin Rummy
Shuttle Pilot

Default Re: Bryan Singer puts Anonymous writer to work on Battlestar Galactica movie

https://blastr.com/2011/10/bryan-sing...medium=twitter

Reports are getting confusing. Looks like it's gonna be a J.J. Abrams-like Trek reboot - admittedly predictable. I mean, in all honesty they need to adapt the "feel" of BSG to fit on the modern big screen and compete with today's movies. I'd love to see a continuation done, but it would either be distorted by modern production to the point of discontinuity within the narrative, or by some chance remain faithful and not make any money.
“Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today – but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.” -Isaac Asimov
Gin Rummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2011, 10:38 AM   #3
Centurion Draco
Equal rights for Cylons!

Default Re: Bryan Singer puts Anonymous writer to work on Battlestar Galactica movie

We've got to be positive and make our feelings known.
This is going to be the last chance for a continuation.
I'm excited that this project is finally moving on, but I think that we have to push for something that even if a compromise is going to give us some closeure on this seeminlgly lifelong campaign.

I want the original cast in it. However it's done, I want to see them in proper roles and not cameos shown during the credits.
Old October 22nd, 2011, 10:56 AM   #4
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

The chance of a continuation is gone, the general movie going public does not want to see some people of pensionable age 'creaking' around onscreen (unless they're SF legends like Shatner or Nimoy, or even The Hoff).

The people who are making this have already decided what it's going to be.
Old October 22nd, 2011, 12:07 PM   #5
Centurion Draco
Equal rights for Cylons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter noble View Post
The chance of a continuation is gone, the general movie going public does not want to see some people of pensionable age 'creaking' around onscreen (unless they're SF legends like Shatner or Nimoy, or even The Hoff).

The people who are making this have already decided what it's going to be.
Peter,

is it certain that this is going to be a 'retelling' rather than continuation now?

we all know that the original cast are not going to be recast in the dynamic action roles, but they wouldn't be in those roles after 30 years anyway.
But they could be in senior roles, military, civillian or political.
Old October 22nd, 2011, 01:08 PM   #6
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurion Draco View Post
Peter,

is it certain that this is going to be a 'retelling' rather than continuation now?
Yes, it's a reboot/reimagination, every article since the first one in 2009 has said so.

There are a lot of fans who are putting one and one together and making three and thinking this is the 2001 project that was cancelled for FOX TV.

It's not, it's something new, a third incarnation of the franchise.
Old October 22nd, 2011, 01:12 PM   #7
Benedict
Warrior

A third incarnation. Lumme.
Galactica-era fan fic: Battlestar Pacifica #2 Saga of a Battlestar

"We thought the opposite of war, was peace. But we found the opposite of war was slavery."
Benedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2011, 01:40 PM   #8
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

So, this "anonymous writer", I'm guessing that it's not the same writer that's been named already to write a script for this film or something? Maybe it's the same bit of news through another source, but instead of giving it a name, they just don't give it.

The waters are getting pretty muddy already, but at least the rumour mill is churning as opposed to collecting dust.

As for this effort being a third incarnation, I'd rather it be a whole new production that see some sort of pick and mix story that attempts to reconcile both TOS and TNS. At least that way, there's a foundation to build upon the old (both series) and new (people that haven't seen or didn't like the first two series). Not like anyone needs my approval, but I'd rather they use the original concept, update it, but provide good storytwlling with really strong character and performances. That's the kind of film that anyone should be interested in paying to see.

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2011, 01:56 PM   #9
Senmut
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurion Draco View Post
Peter,

we all know that the original cast are not going to be recast in the dynamic action roles, but they wouldn't be in those roles after 30 years anyway.
But they could be in senior roles, military, civillian or political.
Ah, but you are coming from the standpoint of realism. Most of these Hollyweird folks think that all we want is explosions and cleavage. Why? Because it's what they want, and since they know best...
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 07:19 AM   #10
Jayworld
Warrior

Interesting.... I was wondering where the project was headed/not headed after the "long ago" announcement that it was "greenlit" for 2010, then 2011, then no news at all.

Personally, after all this time, and the time invested in the 1998 2nd Coming, then the fight against the new series (letter writing, boycotting, Colonial Fan Force, etc.), I would like to see something along the lines of how Tron Legacy was for the original Tron.

That would be okay at this point.
Old October 27th, 2011, 09:58 AM   #11
137th Gebirg
Warrior

Perhaps the "anonymous writer" is Larson himself...
Old October 27th, 2011, 12:24 PM   #12
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 137th Gebirg View Post
Perhaps the "anonymous writer" is Larson himself...
I need to clear this up, if only for my own misunderstanding. There is currently only one writer for the film and that's Orloff. Orloff wrote the screenplay for the film currently in theaters, which has the title "Anonymous".

When I saw this thread and wasn't able to view the link at work, I thought that the OP was saying that an anonymous writer was penning a script. Since there was already links in the BSG to Screen thread stating that Orloff was the writer, the separate discussion thread, coupled with my misunderstanding made me think that there were two writers working on the same project.

Silly me...

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Old October 27th, 2011, 12:42 PM   #13
137th Gebirg
Warrior

Ah! Cool...thanks for clearing that up.

At the same time...dammit! We could have had Larson's input on this one!!!
Old November 2nd, 2011, 01:13 AM   #14
CaptainHawke
Warrior

Forgive me for putting this here, if it doesn't belong here. Move it wherever it belongs if that's the case.... I couldn't find any other Bryan Singer BSG threads.

Source: https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com

Today word hit the net that X-Men director Bryan Singer’s attempt to remake the classic Arthurian legend movie Excalibur is dead. That matters because it means that Singer, suddenly has a lot more time on his hands. Time that he might spend on one of the many science fiction projects he’s been promising. In particular… Battlestar Galactica.

Singer has had a movie version of Battlestar Galactica on the back-burner for awhile now. In fact it had been long enough that we were starting to wonder if anything was every going to come of it. But talking to SFX on the eve of announcing that Excalibur is dead, Singer said that when their Excalibur project was cast off, “it allowed me to go straight into developing Battlestar Galactica – which I think will be really exciting.”

So apparently he’s not just making that his next project, it sounds like he’s actually already working on it. Singer doesn’t offer any further details, but we do know is that his movie will have nothing to do with either the 70s television series or the more recent Ronald Moore helmed remake series. That’s actually a shame since Moore’s version was about as perfect telling of this story as anyone could possibly fathom. Anything Singer does will only pale in comparison to that television show and, come on, it sort of seems like that show should just find a way to transition into feature films instead of starting all over again. Unfortunately, thanks to series creator Glen Larson they can’t go that route.

So Bryan Singer is starting over with a brand new telling of the Battlestar Galactica mythos.
CaptainHawke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2011, 07:29 AM   #15
137th Gebirg
Warrior

hmmm...

Strange. I always thought Singer was a big TOS fan. Article's clearly a little biased, though... Although, a search didn't seem to find it. I did find references to the fact that the movie would be tied to TOS in some way.

I repeat...hmmm...
Old November 2nd, 2011, 12:42 PM   #16
CaptainHawke
Warrior

The exact link is here: https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/?s=...star+Galactica
CaptainHawke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2011, 01:15 PM   #17
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

What I find more interesting at present are the comments after the articles. Its amazing that GINO launched with a flood of folks screaming "Give it a chance" and proclaiming that only an narrow minded basement dweller would be so restrictive in their thinking to not rejoice at various interpretations available for the choosing. Now it seems that a lot of GINO fans believe Bryan Singer has come into their living rooms and raped their mother, both their sisters, and their three-legged dog.

Given that this film will at the very least provide a large budget, updated special effects, and if his previous films are to be used as a guide, a fairly sophisticated story, its hard to see why the "Give it a chance" rules from 2003 should no longer be in effect. This is presumably the exact thing that Ron Moore and company was promising.

Seems that the same fangroup that thought GINO deserved the opportunity to prove itself isn't willing to lend that same faith to others.

Curious.

All my best,

Russell
Old November 2nd, 2011, 01:47 PM   #18
Gin Rummy
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBrainedCylon View Post
What I find more interesting at present are the comments after the articles. Its amazing that GINO launched with a flood of folks screaming "Give it a chance" and proclaiming that only an narrow minded basement dweller would be so restrictive in their thinking to not rejoice at various interpretations available for the choosing. Now it seems that a lot of GINO fans believe Bryan Singer has come into their living rooms and raped their mother, both their sisters, and their three-legged dog.

Given that this film will at the very least provide a large budget, updated special effects, and if his previous films are to be used as a guide, a fairly sophisticated story, its hard to see why the "Give it a chance" rules from 2003 should no longer be in effect. This is presumably the exact thing that Ron Moore and company was promising.

Seems that the same fangroup that thought GINO deserved the opportunity to prove itself isn't willing to lend that same faith to others.

Curious.

All my best,

Russell
In all fairness, the trolls on the internet do not represent a collective fan-base. People who are fans of nuBSG understand that the show ended. Properly. It wasn't cancelled, it finished. TOS didn't. A continuation is still not impossible at this point, but the interest level would be enough to turn a profit, in my opinion.

A new universe gives the team creative freedom and a possible new fan-base in addition to those who like either or both series. Sadly, trying to capture the wonder and feel of TOS while maintaining continuity would be a monumental challenge in today's Hollywood.
“Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today – but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.” -Isaac Asimov
Old November 2nd, 2011, 01:48 PM   #19
Benedict
Warrior

Still, I'm not surprised that some or the maojrity of those 'fans' are against it. Always thought when this was first announced that the new Galactica fans wouldn't like it...somehow taking it away from their...thing (Star Wars intonation).

Anyway, I'm going to stew someplace.
Galactica-era fan fic: Battlestar Pacifica #2 Saga of a Battlestar

"We thought the opposite of war, was peace. But we found the opposite of war was slavery."
Benedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2011, 02:26 PM   #20
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Gin Rummy,

In all fairness, I thought the trolls on the Internet were the GINO fanbase.

However, when you look at the framework of the two series, there's quite a large gulf between them.

GINO was a series in that everything was tightly controlled by the "God-being" who forced mankind and sexy-killer robots into an endless video-game loop of annihilation that could only be broken once the humans learn that technology is bad and tree-hugging is good.

Battlestar Galactica was a series in which the "God-beings" fueded with each other and gave man an occasional shove in the process.

In Galactica, man is in control of his own destiny and in GINO, it doesn't really matter what you do. Everything is laid out for you and if you're too stupid to follow "The Plan" (like you forget you spent the first year looking for a magic arrow that shows you everything and then realize you have no idea how to use it or even where you put it), then the magic coordinates to get you where you should go are delivered via piano music because "God" really doesn't want you stepping out on your own and doing your own thing.

In Galactica, "God" has a harsh way of dealing with cultures who loose their way. When they reach a certain level of decadence and loose their faith, they meet a bad demise (READ: Kobol, the reptile Cylon race, and the Colonies).

The Galactica god is perfectly content to let the sinners die while the GINO god takes some pretty extraordinary steps to save them from their own idiocy.

The angels are also quite different. In Galactica, they either give you guidance and try to serve as guardians or try to mislead you to your doom while in GINO, they primarily give you handjobs.

That seems like another contrast that would be hard for Singer to reconcile and its those sorts of differences that I think most fans will find difficult to marry together.

All my best,

Russell
Old November 2nd, 2011, 03:25 PM   #21
Gin Rummy
Shuttle Pilot

I'm not in any way trying to compare the two Galactica series - though you raise good points on that matter - they are entirely different show with vaguely similar names. I also think we all know there are trolls in every fanbase (TOS included) But what is important is that Gal has proven adaptable in the past, and will continue to be. Trust me, as a TOS fan first, I completely understand the criticisms levels at what is entirely fair to call GINO.

Still, as a nuBSG fan as well, I believe it has certain aspects that deserve to be held-over to a big-screen production -I certainly don't want more "soap-opera in space" moments or God controls all speeches, but I do want deep, believable characters (something in short supply in TOS, in my opinion). I don't know what these trolls are saying on the matter and don't care to. If they are mad about an adaption not following a previous adaption, they are ignorant. Still, this third incarnation stands posed to take the best of both universes. I remain hopeful.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 04:01 PM   #22
Punisher454
Warrior Ace

I'm okay with a remake or retelling of TOS with some updates and enhancements. I'd really prefer not to se a "re-imagining" again though. The story was done right the first time, it really just needs to be tuned up. While the characters of TOS were obviously basic archetype characters, I mostly prefer them to the complete basket case characters of NuBSG. Some people think those basket cases are more realistic, but I think those folks may themselves tend be basket cases.

I dont mind so much changes when they make sense, but changing things just for the sake of changing things up is moronic.

And to Mr Singer, by the Lords of Kobol please remember that Pyramid is a card game and triad is a ball game.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 04:28 PM   #23
Gin Rummy
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher454 View Post
I'm okay with a remake or retelling of TOS with some updates and enhancements. I'd really prefer not to se a "re-imagining" again though. The story was done right the first time, it really just needs to be tuned up. While the characters of TOS were obviously basic archetype characters, I mostly prefer them to the complete basket case characters of NuBSG. Some people think those basket cases are more realistic, but I think those folks may themselves tend be basket cases.

I dont mind so much changes when they make sense, but changing things just for the sake of changing things up is moronic.

And to Mr Singer, by the Lords of Kobol please remember that Pyramid is a card game and triad is a ball game.
COMPLETELY agree - retelling not re-imagining. nuBSG completely built it's story from the bare bones of the original. I can't see how they didn't see the backlash from die-hard fans who saw their childhood show distorted to such a degree. You simply have to accept they are completely different. This new 'verse has potential... if it isn't distorted by the process.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 06:26 PM   #24
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin Rummy View Post
COMPLETELY agree - retelling not re-imagining. nuBSG completely built it's story from the bare bones of the original. I can't see how they didn't see the backlash from die-hard fans who saw their childhood show distorted to such a degree. You simply have to accept they are completely different. This new 'verse has potential... if it isn't distorted by the process.
Oh, there was backlash and it was severe. It would have been found at the old Skiffy website, at the now defunct Cylon Alliance, and here, at Fleets, to just name a few.

We protested loudly and from every available rooftop and all that it got us was, a sore throat.

For an idea of how severe it got, go no further than this -- TNS Forum Shutdown

Before we tread down the dangerous and slippery slope of firing verbal barrages at Moore, Eick, and GINO or, alternatively, singing its praises, please be aware that these battles have been fought before. Please also be aware that we will NOT fight them again.

It just isn't worth it.
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2011, 06:42 PM   #25
Gin Rummy
Shuttle Pilot

Again, not my intention to draw comparisons to the two battlestars or argue about it, but to emphasize that this new incarnation will certainly have updated aspects that may or may not resemble some of GINO's updates. I simply remain optimistic that this time around they will be for the sake of the story itself, not as an attempt to completely change the story itself.

Sorry if I sounded argumentative.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 06:51 PM   #26
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

No problem and, just to be sure of no misunderstanding, talking about either show is perfectly fine. Drawing comparisons between the two for the sake of illustrating and substantiating a particular point of view is also perfectly fine.

What's not fine is when it's done with the single motive of stirring the pot of anger.

No one has done that and I don't expect that anyone will ... just wanted to let y'all know that we're not asleep at the switch.

Sleep now
They are calling

Old November 2nd, 2011, 07:54 PM   #27
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

I think that one interesting phenomenon that we may yet experience could possibly surprise the fanbases of TOS and NuBSG. I remember back when NuBSG was in it's infancy and those that didn't like the direction that Moore & Co were taking the concept thought that if they spoke loudly enough, their voice would be heard and understood and that the concept would change before it was released. As Pete pointed out, there was plenty of shouting about what people liked and what they didn't, but in the end, the creative process was in motion and was not to be altered in it's course.

If the film project is indeed a completely new effort (and at this point with the director saying one thing and the writer saying another, it's obviously not clear), the result could be TOS fans clamoring for what they want and NuBSG fans doing the same. If what happened last time is any indication, the film project will go in the direction of those in charge of the creative direction, regardless of what fans want. JJ Abrams proved that you can ignore what you chose to ignore, keep what you want and fabricate the rest, there's still an audience to beat a path to it and pay for multiple showings despite the shouting on the sidelines.

The fanbase for Galactica was split once and it could well be split again, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the number left over the next time will be a small one. If anything, it will reinforce the idea that you don't need to stick to what's considered "canon" in order to sell tickets. Once that happens again, fans will truly understand what Bonnie Hammer said years ago: "Fans can't drive the creative process". I didn't understand or agree with it then, but I sure do now.

Looking forward to seeing where this goes and how far the project will get...

Bryan

Old November 2nd, 2011, 07:58 PM   #28
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

I don't know who wrote the article on Giant Freaking Robot, but I'm not impressed with their journalistic objectivity: they spout a lot of their own subjective opinion as if it's fact. <sigh> Yea, I feel that way about nearly all the modern newscasters reporting current events as well. Showing my age, I suppose.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2011, 11:02 PM   #29
Punisher454
Warrior Ace

One of the things that Moore did was he deliberately changed things or set up situations that would anger the viewers/fans. He even admitted it in some of the pod casts. He said something to the effect of 'if people hate it then I did it right'. He was referring to the direction of a story arc, but I think that hinted at his creative process.

I have a reasonable amount of faith in Mr Singer based on some of his past work that he wont deliberately alienate the existing Galactica fanbase. If this possible new Galactica movie turns out to be to the original what the JJ Abrams Trek movie was to ST:TOS then I'll be ok with that.

But one thing is for sure, as stated previously ,fans will not influence the creative decisions. For us here that is a good thing, the BSG:TOS fanbase is outnumbered by the NuBSG fanbase.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 07:18 PM   #30
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher454 View Post
One of the things that Moore did was he deliberately changed things or set up situations that would anger the viewers/fans. He even admitted it in some of the pod casts. He said something to the effect of 'if people hate it then I did it right'. He was referring to the direction of a story arc, but I think that hinted at his creative process.
This was why we raised so much hell about it. We were convinced that a portion of what he did was out of spite because he knew that not everyone in the Galactica community embraced his vision.

An example, of course, was the gender changes for Starbuck and Boomer. Many of us understood and actually welcomed the thought that there needed to be a strong female presence on the show. We even suggested that there were a number of strong characters from which to build, like Sheba, Cassiopeia, and Athena. However, it fell on deaf ears. The way he chose was strictly for shock and awe. But, he did it his way. Was it the best choice? Time will tell.

Quote:
I have a reasonable amount of faith in Mr Singer based on some of his past work that he wont deliberately alienate the existing Galactica fanbase. If this possible new Galactica movie turns out to be to the original what the JJ Abrams Trek movie was to ST:TOS then I'll be ok with that.

But one thing is for sure, as stated previously ,fans will not influence the creative decisions. For us here that is a good thing, the BSG:TOS fanbase is outnumbered by the NuBSG fanbase.

Although I liked his work on X-Men, I was on the fence with Superman Returns. While I enjoyed the movie and would have gladly paid admission to a theatre, I just didn't have that same upbeat feeling about it as I did when watching the Christopher Reeve version. Maybe the movie was too soon after his death. I'm not sure. At any rate, it probably would be a good example to compare against Abrams' Trek and this possible Galactica movie.
Sleep now
They are calling