Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old April 2nd, 2003, 03:17 PM   #1
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default That 1978 Show

I can't speak for everybody here but I will say that none of us want that. Change is a part of growth. A 1930's Buck Rogers would be laughed at show the show was UPDATED for the times. The same can be done for Galactica. For example:

Scarlet Vipers.
New Colonial Ships and uniforms.
New helmuts(Galactica 1980 even had them.)
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2003, 03:23 PM   #2
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

Default OH THAT'S IT, WE'RE THROW'N DOWN

The uniforms don't need updating Jean Pierre Doreloc's basic designs should be maintained. I love the helmets...so untill some one can provide a link to updated helmets from G80 I say no!! Sorry this kid don't tape G80!
Sept17th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2003, 03:24 PM   #3
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default Re: OH THAT'S IT, WE'RE THROW'N DOWN

Quote:
Originally posted by Sept17th
The uniforms don't need updating Jean Pierre Doreloc's basic designs should be maintained. I love the helmets...so untill some one can provide a link to updated helmets from G80 I say no!! Sorry this kid don't tape G80!
Have you ever noticed that the 1980 Helmuts looked way too small?
Old April 2nd, 2003, 03:28 PM   #4
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

Default G80 Updated Helmuts???

Really dude, I don't remember them. Would love to see a pic...without having to sit through an episode.
Old April 2nd, 2003, 03:29 PM   #5
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Kingfish,

Agreed. It has absolutely astounded me that the "Re-imagining" crowd has resorted to such a hollow argument that WE want EXACTLY the same characters, as if time stood still.

As you stated, we DO want the "same characters", but we also ackowledge that one will have to account for the 25 year time span. Then, you can pick up the storyline.

Why didn't they (the Re-Imaginers) get it??

(BTW, I "would" have been open to many alternatives, for the existing script, other than the idea that RDM proposed. All I wanted was something that did not trample the existing storyline. )

BST
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2003, 03:29 PM   #6
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default Space Croppers

This was the only episode to show them. By the way I want one thing that is a CONTINUATION with the original characters.
Old April 2nd, 2003, 03:32 PM   #7
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Default Keep the Uniforms and the Designs

I'd agree. Leave the helmets AND the ship designs alone. Updating the Galactica, vipers, or raiders would be lot like someone wanting to improve the main ship designs from Star Wars. You could come up with something different, but after the newness wore off, what would you have left.

I think the X-Wing or Viper compares well to the Naboo fighters any day. In fact, using the SW comparison, the chrome transport ships don't begin to compare to the older designs.

Same for the uniforms. They were well designed and made the Colonials instantly recognizable. Plus, they actually looked functional. In fact, the Alien series was probably the only other major Sci-Fi show I can recall where the uniforms did look functional.

Two-Brain
TwoBrainedCylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2003, 03:32 PM   #8
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

Default Oh yeah, you want Continuation

but what about the original helmets???? they want Continuation too!
Old April 2nd, 2003, 03:32 PM   #9
LordStarFyre
Warrior

Default Kingfish

I've got a piece of 1980 Universal Trivia for you.

Do you know Why they changed the helmets for G80?

Well, Right after ABC Cancelled Galactica, Most of the helmets that hadn't gotten snagged by various folks (alot got stolen) were sent up to the Upper Lot (tours) for Battle of Galactica, the Tour Attraction. They only sent a few of the Uniforms, because on balance, most of the Tour Warriors wore a simplified version of the uniform. (The Starlog Jacket was based on the Tour Jacket) When it came time to do G80, the choice was made, since they were going to be using those Motorcycles, and stunts would be needed, that the best route was to re-design the helmets around practical motorcycle helmets.

While there were a small few of the Originals available, they didn't get nearly as much as the re-worked ones.

They also fit better.

Then, when G80 was put out of it's misery, those Helmets were all transferred to the Tour.
LordStarFyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2003, 03:20 PM   #10
Belloby
Bad Email Address

Default Re: That 1978 Show

Quote:
Originally posted by kingfish
I can't speak for everybody here but I will say that none of us want that. Change is a part of growth. A 1930's Buck Rogers would be laughed at show the show was UPDATED for the times. The same can be done for Galactica. For example:

Scarlet Vipers.
New Colonial Ships and uniforms.
New helmuts(Galactica 1980 even had them.)
There was nothing wrong with Galactica's design. It was incredibly well done. But that's a whole different arguement...

I think most fans are objecting to the use of a different cast. We want an update not a re-make. I for one would like to know who Starbuck married: Cassopeia or Athena.
Belloby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2003, 03:22 PM   #11
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default Richard's Books

I was just looking to see some of the newer ships. The Galactica is still a grand ship which was designed excellently. Check out some of Steve W's Galactica and destroyer pics.
Old April 3rd, 2003, 08:50 PM   #12

Default Re: Re: That 1978 Show

Quote:
Originally posted by Belloby
There was nothing wrong with Galactica's design. It was incredibly well done. But that's a whole different arguement...
More than that. It wouldn't make sense for them to have been moving a fleet and building a new Battlestar. If Galactica had served well for 1000 yahren (unless my memory fails me) then I'm sure it would be well off. There's nothing wrong with keeping 70's haircuts or going with 50's styles. It would underscore that they are a different human culture, oblivious to Earth's fads.

I can see smaller vessels, especially new Vipers, being developed. That's rational and true to the premise of the series. Keeping true to the concept was certainly something Trek forgot with Voyager; even Ron Moore has pointed this out. In that light it's almost amazing that he's so oblivious to the fundamentals of Galactica in his reimagining. Not even the classy helmets are staying? The apocolyptic show won't be apocolyptic said Bonnie?? HUH??? Is this the Twilight Zone or BSG?