Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old January 14th, 2003, 11:34 AM   #1
michaelfaries
Great Honored Warrior (ret.)
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFather of BG websites
BattlestarGalactica.com(ret)
BattlestarPegasus.com(ret)

Exclamation POLL (Very important): BG Prequel

All,

This may be one of the most important polls I've ever posted in my history within this fandom. Let's just say that script rewrites are being ordered. And it would be interesting to see what fans might want in a "Battlestar Galactica" PREQUEL.

There are three poll questions below. Please provide an answer for each one within THIS discussion thread; do not post elsewhere. At minimum, please answer questions #1 and #3.

Michael
:colwar:

===========================================================

Let's begin:

QUESTION #1: If "Battlestar Galactica" could *only* return in prequel form (ie. taking place before the events of the original 1978-79 "Battlestar Galactica" series), would you watch?

A.) Yes, I would watch a prequel series.
B.) No, I would not watch a prequel series.

=------------------------------

QUESTION #2 (essay part): If prequel is made, what must it contain to be acceptable to you as a fan of the original 1978-79 "Battlestar Galactica" series? What timeframe? What general elements? Where does it take place? Who are the villains? Who are the heroes? Does this prequel "re-imagine" the original series? How must it directly relate to the 1978-79 series? BE SPECIFIC.

==------------------------------

QUESTION #3: Would you watch made-for-television "Battlestar Galactica" movies which continue the original 1978-79 "Battlestar Galactica" series 25 years later with members of the original cast (where possible), characters, concepts, ships, themes, plus some new characters and innovations, too? (And ignore the events of "Galactica: 1980"?)

A.) Yes, only if they include members of the original cast in their roles, such as Richard Hatch, Dirk Benedict, Terry Carter, Anne Lockhart, etc. along with the new generation of heroes. (NOTE: Producers/writers are not specified.)
B.) Yes.
C.) No.

Thanks for your time,
Michael
:colwar:
michaelfaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2003, 11:50 AM   #2
cobrastrikelead
Bad Email Address

#1=A. #2= I would think in the months preceding the Holocast. I cautiously think the writers would need some latitude. #3=A.
cobrastrikelead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2003, 11:54 AM   #3
Apothis
On Vacation...

Default Re: POLL (Very important): BG Prequel

[QUOTE]Originally posted by michaelfaries
[B]
QUESTION #1: If "Battlestar Galactica" could *only* return in prequel form (ie. taking place before the events of the original 1978-79 "Battlestar Galactica" series), would you watch?

QUESTION #2 (essay part): If prequel is made, what must it contain to be acceptable to you as a fan of the original 1978-79 "Battlestar Galactica" series? What timeframe? What general elements? Where does it take place? Who are the villains? Who are the heroes? Does this prequel "re-imagine" the original series? How must it directly relate to the 1978-79 series? BE SPECIFIC.

If it is prequel, I would like it to begin on the day Adama takes command of the Battlestar Galactica. During the time that Adama takes command, the Cylons are winning the war. I would like for the prequel to focus on how Adama's generation helped turned the tide of conflict. Where Commander Cain became a Legend and formidable foe to the Cylons. Also, I think showing Baltar's rise to political prominience would be something that has to be a part of this prequel. The events in the series will lead up to why the Cylons found it necessary to recruit Baltar into their plan to defeat the Colonial Fleet. The Cylons were losing so they needed a change in strategy. When they realized the human need for power and greed they used it effectively by having Baltar believe he would be the leader of the Humans in a Cylon victory.

QUESTION #3: Would you watch made-for-television "Battlestar Galactica" movies which continue the original 1978-79 "Battlestar Galactica" series 25 years later with members of the original cast (where possible), characters, concepts, ships, themes, plus some new characters and innovations, too? (And ignore the events of "Galactica: 1980"?)

B.) Yes.
Apothis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2003, 12:04 PM   #4
havoc315
Shuttle Pilot

1) I honestly don't know. The idea of a prequal does not excite me. I might watch out of curiousity. If it was really good, of course I would keep watching. But the idea does not seem promising. It would be an entirely different show. Just as "Smallville" tells the story of Clark Kent *before* he became Superman. Thus, if I was simply a Superman fan, I might not care much about his life before donning the cape. This situation might be even more extreme... Like a story about Peter Parker, before he got bitten by the spider.

A prequal would likely just be the adventures of the Galactica. Sounds too much like every Trek series (The adventures of the Enterprise, the adventures of the Voyager, the adventures of a couple more ships named Enterprise).

2) To be acceptable to me? The whole idea does not excite me at all. With no rag-tag fleet, its simply not Galactica to me. If somehow they put together a good show, I would watch.. whether set one year before the cylon attack, or 100 years before the cylon attack.

3) Yes, I would watch it, whether or not if had the same actors. But as with any show, saying I would watch it only means I would give it a chance. If it sucked, I would stop watching. But I would definitely be intrigued enough to watch with some enthusiasm.
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2003, 01:57 PM   #5
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Originally posted by michaelfaries

======================================================

QUESTION #1:

A.) Yes, I would watch a prequel series. If it kept away from all the blatant sex #### in that remake script (can do much better story without that)

General elements:
To be a prequel, I think it would have to have the Colonials (12 worlds) and the Cylons as protagonists, antagonists. I would place it sometime after the 1,000 yahren war has begun but mention the Hsaris (sp?) & the colonies coming to their defense starting it. Since we'd want to keep name recognition: the Galactica is 500 years old =500 years of possibilities! Keep the ships and what we know of Colonial society. Add smaller more manueverable ships to a Battlestar's group, much like destroyers and battleships in our navies. (I've always believed that the agro and livery ships would have traveled with a battle group on extended missions to provide the provisions for a fleet of warships).
NO "reimagining", but do fix what backstory holes are in the original series without negating it. (explain the FTL drive system, Cylon history and tyranical need for order, Colonial trade allies/neighbors: the Hsaris, the Delphians, existence of prison and agro colonies like Proteus, etc. in neighboring systems.)

Some storyline ideas I see (and I'm no Colonial history authority):
I. Something around the battle of Molecay (2 yahren before the Holocaust (?)) where the fifth fleet was destroyed and the Pegasus lost in deep space. Perhaps Galactica arrives only in time to rescue a handful of viper pilots who managed to survive crash landings from the battle onto a nearby planet, moon, or asteroid. Battle could be told through their eyes. Colonials rebuilding/regrouping to fight another day and what that does to the younger/surviving pilots of the other fleets (i.e. Starbuck, Apollo, Boomer) could be the rest.

II. Story of Cmdr. Adama's father's command of Galatica or transition from his command to Adama's. (more backstory on Ila, Tigh and don't add silly surnames or first names: Plato, Sophocles, Socrates, Hippocrates and Aristotle never needed the extra name. Few people know Michaelangelo's even, if you refer to Newton, Copernicus, Galileo or Kepler everyone knows of whom you speak.)

III. Story of Adama's command of the Galactica and Apollo and Starbuck moving from cadets to viper pilots, their adventures and battles. And of course some pyramid games. Zac and Athena getting through the academy at Caprica.

IV. I'd go for some of Larson's Pegasus before she was lost stories (or in that 2 yahren span after) as an option, though that loses the name recognition a bit for the series title. (although when my husband saw Living Legend again, I finally got the confession that he HAD watched BSG every week and LOVED the Lloyd Bridges episode the most. )

A.) Yes, only if they include members of the original cast in their roles, such as Richard Hatch, Dirk Benedict, Terry Carter, Anne Lockhart, etc. along with the new generation of heroes. (NOTE: Producers/writers are not specified.)

Don't forget Herb Jefferson, Jr. if available! I would choose this above all else and trust the actors' judgements as to if the project was true enough to their roles for reprising them.

I'd consider watching with other actors if time frame was just after the "Hand of God" ep. though I think A is the best place to begin.

Ooops. Michael shouldn't have said #2 was essay!! Sorry about length. That was fun. I want Question #3 -A the most!!! LOL!!
Jewels

Last edited by jewels; January 14th, 2003 at 01:59 PM..
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2003, 02:07 PM   #6
dah66
Warrior

Default Michael, my answers...

Question 1 - A.
I would watch a prequel if it was a quality production (meaning, suitable for the entire family and did not discard the mythology of the original series).

Question 2 - (essay).
What time frame? At the beginning of the war with the Cylons. It would explain why the conflict came about and what effect it had on the Colonial people, both military and civilian.

What general elements? I would like to see earlier, more primitive versions of the classic ships and an exploration of the colonial allies (if there were any). It would need the epic feel of the original series and the retention of the overall mythology. Additionally, it would need to address why contact with Earth was lost (along with those pesky coordinates).

Where does it take place? The twelve colonies, which are individual planets, each with a unique and intriguing culture. The battlestar's are constructed to defend these colonies. The big expensive episodes would take place on board the battlestars, and the money saving episodes would take place in the colonies.

Who are the villains? The Cylons and the humans that are sympathetic to their cause. Yes, I think having a long tradition of human sympathizers would go a long way towards explaining why Baltar thought he could bargain with the Imperious Leader. Also, I would include alien races that are aligned with the Cylons and willing to fight against humanity.

Who are the heroes? The existing colonial military and the common citizens that answer the call to war. Some of these individuals could be the ancestors of the original series characters.

Does this prequel "re-imagine" the original series? NO.

How must it directly relate to the 1978-79 series? It must embrace the positive themes of the original series. It needs to be suitable for the family. It needs to retain the basic mythology and employ a similar overall look. The casual viewer should be able to recognize that they are watching a show taking place in the Galactica universe.

Question 3 - B.
I would watch and hope that at a minimum, Richard, Dirk, and Anne would be included.

There ya go!

Thanks.

Dave

Last edited by dah66; January 15th, 2003 at 05:57 AM..
dah66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2003, 03:03 PM   #7
SeoulWind

1. A - I'd check it out and continue to watch if it were done well, subject to the answer to item #2.

2. It should deal at least in part with the back stories of the older major characters (Adama, Tigh, etc)with others interwined. I think it should be set far enough in the past so as to preclude the use of Apollo, Starbuck and the rest of the Viper pilots in the original series as actual warriors but could touch on their lives leading up to their service in the Colonial military including time spent in the academy. I'm not certain that I'd want to go as far back as Adama's early Warrior days, but that might work - deal with his rise in the ranks and such...

And it has to fit! None of the silly plot devices such as those used to get aliens unknown in Kirk's time aboard Archer's Enterprise! No time travel silliness and no Berman/Braga-esque reset buttons! (I realize that these people have nothing to do with BSG, but Moore worked on Trek and noone has mentioned that he's leaving the BSG production, so...). It needs to look and feel like it belongs in the time frame it is portraying relative to the original series (this shouldn't be too hard, compared to backdating Trek, IMHO) and it should lead us in the direction of the original in terms of it's story lines.

Characters should evolve toward what we see in the original series. If there has to be a huge departure it should be explained and we should get to see what made them what/who they became later. For example, if there absolutely HAS to be a dysfunctional father/son relationship between Adama and Apollo, let us see how they overcome the problems and build the relationship we see in the original series. Frankly I don't want to see myself or my family in these characters, I want to see what I could aspire to become. The characters as portrayed by the original actors were inspiring to me as a teenager, and I'd like to be inspired again (especially given the condition the world is in these days).

Drop the call-sign thing and just name the characters the way we know them - no "Lee 'Apollo' Adama", just "Apollo"...

3. A - Absolutely.

Mark Snyder
Seoul, Korea
Old January 14th, 2003, 03:12 PM   #8
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by michaelfaries
All,

B.) No, I would not watch a prequel series.
A.) Yes, I would watch a prequel series
However the 2 most notable prequels while seeming like a good idea have been awful.
Namely Enterprise and The new Star Wars Trillogy.
The Young Indiana Jones is the only exception I can think of as pulling off a prequel successfully.

Quote:

The timeframe would have to be far enough back so than it would be impossible to involve any of the original characters.
The show should be able to stand on it’s own and not have to rely on the original as a crutch.
It should be able to appeal to a whole new audience.

If it were a necessity that "The Galactca" be in the show it would have to be set around the time of her first mission.
Her design should be familiar but different enough to take in to account 500 years of damage, wear, repairs and technological advancements.

Otherwise set it back all the way to before the beginning of the Cylon war set aboard a diffrent Galactica.
And come up with entirely new designs for the uniforms, fighters, capitol ships and hardware.

The protagonists & Antogonists should be sort of grey.
I’d like to see bad humans who make decisions that have ultimately doomed "The Colonies" by the time that “Saga of a Starworld" rolls around.
I’d like to see sympathetic Cylons who try repedly to stop the escalation of hostilities but are destroyed by over zelous & suspicous colonials determined to press the war to it’s final conclusion.

The cylons for this series should be the organic Cylon varaty.
The show should follow a War story ark similar to B5 or the Dominion war of DS9 that will culminate in a victory over the Organic Cylons that the humans would believe absolute.

The colonial armed forces would deal the organic cylons a crippling blow.
Elements of the civilian government would call for mercy but the twist is that because of the military’s desire to eliminate the threat of the Cylon scourge for good they wind up insuring the survival of the Cylon war machine for the next 500 years (literally) in the form of the new machine Cylon race.

Alternatly I'd like to see where the war was actualy started becasue of the colonial military and the reason they puch so hard for anilation of the cylons in an attempt to keep there mistakes secret

The series might end with the original series centurion rolling off an assembly line and kneeling before a shadowy figure.
The final words of the series would be

SHADOWY FIGURE: (Patrick McNee
Speak Centurion…

(It raises its metallic head and for the “first time” we see the red eye bar come to life for the first time.)

CENTURION;
By your command

FADE OUT:

[/B]
[/QUOTE]

Quote:

B.) Yes.
C.) No.
No I am not interested in a straight continuation of the original series at all.
They can pick up the story where it left off with a similar back story but new actors in the role of the original characters.
I would prefer the original concepts, ships and themes & mythology to be maintained.
I wouldn’t mind seeing some of the original cast back in supporting roles but not as there original characters.

IE Dirk, Herb and Richard as officers on a new Pegasus
(Dirk as Cain of course)

I knew that I could never again raise my voice against the violence of the oppressed in the ghettos without having first spoken clearly to the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today -- my own government....
~ Dr. Martin Luther King ~

I can hear God saying to America: “You are too arrogant! If you don't change your ways, I will rise up and break the backbone of your power!"
~ Dr. Martin Luther King ~
Hito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2003, 04:41 PM   #9
dvo47p
Bad Email Address

Default The Poll's correct answers?

1.) [B] Well, I probably would watch a prequel series.

2.) But, I have never seen a good prequel, have you?

Look around, most science fiction prequels tend to do poorly. Remember that Harve Bennet wanted to do a Starfleet Academy movie. The film would have focused on the early years of the original characters. The fans were outraged because they could not imagine (or re-imagine) new actors in the roles of Kirk, Spock, and McCoy.

Instead, we got a continuation box office blockbuster hit ‘The Wrath of Khan’ which has been released again on DVD, again.

I was very pleasantly surprised to receive Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan (Director's Edition) for Christmas, twenty one years old and still a great hit movie.

Another prequel is UPN’s Enterprise, even ST:Voyager is better.

3.) [A], Yes, yes I sure would! Sure Battlestar Galactica could be an on going series of TV movies, say four a year. The Scifi Channel might be able to have a first class science fiction show, like Scifi’s Dune and MGM’s Stargate SG-1.

No need to cast big name actors like Dune's, Susan Sarandon or William Hurt.

The stars from Battlestar Galactica, TOS Hatch, Benedict, Jefferson and Anne Lockhart still have what it takes to star in a new Battlestar Galactica, providing continuation for a young generation born in space.

Keep the Galactica exterior, upgrade the bridge and technology from TOS late 70’s, also keep the Vipers. Sure up date other ships and even the Cylons. Remember to keep the shows roots in the basic concepts, and themes, I. E. Colonial Warrior uniforms, Egyptian motif flight helmets.

Use the best of Larson’s original series, Like War of the Gods, tell the great, good v. evil personified by Patrick Macnee as both Count Iblis and the Cylons Imperious Leader.

Another great episode was, The Living Legend, The Battlestar Pegasus was presumed destroyed with the rest of the fleet, during the Cylon sneak attack, this could be made into it’s on stand alone TV series/movie. Who could play Cain?

The last episode, The Hand of God, (Apollo 11 “The Eagle has Landed”) begs to have a follow up episode.

Wow, just think of the varied storylines that the two generations could spawn. The older generation remembering life before the Cylon holocaust. The young age group only knowing stories of a past destroyed. Coming of age on spaceships on the run from the relentless, Cylons for their very existence. Searching for the lost tribe of humans, on the legendary planet, Earth.

On the Galactica 1980 remake, all ‘six’ episodes were just plain silly, and proof that Battlestar Galactica could not be made well, on the cheap.
dvo47p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2003, 04:49 PM   #10
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

#1 A
#3 A
#2 I am not much on essays so as long as it was true to BSG I am open
Steve
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2003, 05:07 PM   #11
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

I'd have to say yes for a prequel.

It opens up SOOOOOOOOOOO much more posibilities with a continuation in the near future.

Titon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2003, 05:32 PM   #12
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

I think this poll is exciting .

1). Yes, I would watch a prequel - if the folks in charge would be kind enough to us to abandon the current abhorrent remake plans, I will return the kindness by watching their show and its sponsors. But I want to qualify that further with #3 (for which I emphatically choose continuation with original cast). If the folks in charge would honor us by doing #3, I will honor them by VIGOROUSLY supporting any prequels or spin-offs they should decide to engage. I have shown my thanks to the Trek producers by watching EVERY spin-off they have made, since they were /in addition to/ rather than /replacement of/ the original. They gave me the TOS movies, I repaid the kindness by taking one of my very few vacation days off to watch Journey to Farpoint, the TNG pilot.

2). I like Dah66's answers. I do feel they should have some creative freedom, but please let that be within Mr. Larson's original vision of the BSG universe, an epic family saga that tugs at our imagination. Show us the events leading up to the catastrophe from the Cylon perspective too (as the original book did a bit) and explain what made them want to exterminate humanity. Give us some backstory on Baltar to show why later episodes display a dual nature of humanity and treachery. Show us the Adama family and how that bond of love became so strong. A prequel has so much more creative potential than a remake. Explore that potential but please be sure it remains true to the original BSG series which fandom loves so well.

3). If you don't know by now, I need to be more prolific! (if that's possible ). I would dearly love to see a continuation, but let it be with the cast I love as well. If you can do #3, as I said in #1, I will lend 150% of my effort to supporting your efforts, spin-offs, prequels and all.

Last edited by Muffit; January 14th, 2003 at 05:35 PM..
Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2003, 05:47 PM   #13
SS1

Thumbs up My answers

A.) Yes, I would watch a prequel series. In fact, I would support it and promote it if it was done right.

QUESTION #2 (essay part): BE SPECIFIC.

“If prequel is made, what must it contain to be acceptable to you as a fan of the original 1978-79 "Battlestar Galactica" series?”

I would like to see an opening with a video montages chronologically telling the origin 1000 Year War with the Cylons (with voice over by Patrick McNee), like what Peter Jackson has done with the opening of LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring,
bringing viewers up to date to the Time when Adama, Tigh, Cain and Baltar are younger men. I Do Not Mind some re-imagination, just as long as it doesn’t contradict the original series.

“What timeframe?”

I would prefer a time frame from the early days when Adama,Tigh and Cain were young Colonial Warriors. I would like to see Baltar as an ambitious young politician and the origins of his alliance to the Cylons and the set up for things to come.

“What general elements?”

I would like to see new strong characters like other Viper Pilots, Military Commanders and politicians (both men and women) and new Villains are a welcomed addition, As well as Adama’s wife Iylla and Cain’s wife. I also believe that Baltar once mentioned that he had a family.

Also other non-human alien cultures from the neighboring solar systems would be intriguing to see. I would like to
see some of the different cultures from the different 12 planets but not to the extreme as Star Trek sometimes do.

I want to see GOOD well-written stories about heroes like on Space Above & Beyond, Star Trek, the original Galactica series and V and no teen soap opera elements. I don’t want to see any love triangles or characters that are comparable and compatible with Melrose Place. Most of all I do not want any teenage hump-fest.

I don’t mind hints of sex and I don’t mind violence (as a matter of fact there should be some violence because of the war) but not to the extreme that Ronald D Moore has done with the rape scenes and handjobs.

Most of all, for the casting of the younger version of original characters, make sure that these actors look somewhat like their predecessors. One good example is Ewen McGregger as young Obi wan Kenobie in Star Wars Episode

Where does it take place?

An Ideal setting would be the Solar System of the 12 Colonies, where they must defend their planets against the Cylons.

“Who are the villains? Who are the heroes?”

I would like to see the Colonial Military and some Politicians as the heroes of this series.

As for the villains, The Imperious Leader and the reptilian and mechanical Cylons of course, but please do not overuse them on an ongoing series. Maybe Count Iblis and his demon-like followers (if there were a way to use him with out contradicting the original series). There can also be crooked and shady politicians like Baltar. Also there could be other neighboring alien species. The possibilities are endless.

“Does this prequel "re-imagine" the original series? ”

As I stated before re-imagining is not a bad thing as long as it doesn’t contradict the events of the original series.

“How must it directly relate to the 1978-79 series?”

I think the main purpose of a Battlestar Galactica prequal should be to fill in the huge gaps in regards to the back stories that were never told in the original series and what led to the Holocaust in the original series.

B.) Yes. It could possibly be the Holy Grail to myself and most Battlestar Galactica Fans if it were to be done right.

As for Original cast members returning, I would be happy enough to just have Richard Hatch, Dirk Benedict, and Herb Jefferson.

If the fans were given the luxury of choosing two others, I would pick Terry Carter and Anne Lockhart.

I would prefer the production to be done by Tom DeSanto and/or based on his TV movie pilot with another Producer at the helm. Except a little more Apollo than in Tom DeSanto’s original script.

Last edited by Scooter2000; January 15th, 2003 at 08:06 AM..
Old January 14th, 2003, 07:49 PM   #14

------------------------------

Answer:
If it is prequel, I would like it to begin on the day Adama takes command of the Battlestar Galactica. During the time that Adama takes command, the Cylons are winning the war. I would like for the prequel to focus on how Adama's generation helped turned the tide of conflict. Where Commander Cain became a Legend and formidable foe to the Cylons. Also, I think showing Baltar's rise to political prominience would be something that has to be a part of this prequel. The events in the series will lead up to why the Cylons found it necessary to recruit Baltar into their plan to defeat the Colonial Fleet. The Cylons were losing so they needed a change in strategy. When they realized the human need for power and greed they used it effectively by having Baltar believe he would be the leader of the Humans in a Cylon victory.

Thanks Apothis
------------------------------

A.) Yes, only if they include members of the original cast in their roles, such as Richard Hatch, Dirk Benedict, Terry Carter, Anne Lockhart, etc. along with the new generation of heroes.

Jim:colwar:
Old January 15th, 2003, 12:28 AM   #15
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

I would watch depending IF they carried the same basic flavor of the original.

I don't mean campy.

I want a series that like the original show tries at its best to recreate a star wars like flavor. Basically Heroic, almost mythic characters. No, I don't want to bring ancient mythological characters to life, I want MYTHIC STYLED HEROES. The kind of heroes that joseph campbell talked about in his essays on heroism and the basic concepts of them. Star Wars was very true to those teachings. Its one of the reasons why it was successful.

The Moore characters seem to be rather ...well...too emphasizing on SEX. That was kinda offensive. I'm not a prude by any means. But this is galactica and NOT Lexx. Leave the slutty cylons at home. They are a cheap rip off of Seven of Nine, and emphasize CHEAP. And add slutty.

Emphasize on HEROES who are ordinary guys showing extraordinary courage in the darkest of times. That's what makes Star Wars and Lord of the Rings so great.

Put Galactica in the past, remake the present, or make it the future. I don't really care. But it MUST feel like Galactica!!! Not some cheap rip off with the same names.

And don't get arrogant and make and twist the characters anything you want just cause you have the power. THAT PISSES US OFF. We are the audience. In the end it must please the viewers. The characters must impress us. It should not repell us. We should be attracted, and not disgusted with the characters. That seems kinda obvious.

Of course the more actors from the original you put in the better it will appeal to us. Its not absolutely necessary, but its helps.

As for keeping original characters...like I said above, IMPRESS US, don't disgust us. Upgrade the women's roles. (But don't make them lockerroom sluts, give them some modesty, thank you)

Anyways...that's my two cents for now...

Oh yeah... RESPECT HATCH. He did ALOT of work on this keeping the flame alive. If you treat him bad that goes for losing our respect again.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2003, 04:50 AM   #16
LucianG
Warrior

Michael,

My full answer is on the other board. In review,

1. A
2. Prequel should be far enough ahead of the original as to preserve the original intact. Also, a sequel made long after the original could be interesting.
3. B, though I’d much prefer A.

NOTE ON PREQUEL TIMEFRAME:

I’d rather see the series take place either at the time of the beginning of the war (1,000 yahrens before the original series) or when the Battlestar Galactica was launched (about 500 yahrens before the original series). If it focuses on the early careers of Adama, Tigh, Cain, etc., there is too much chance that significant changes could be made to the mythos and to the original characters.
LucianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2003, 04:58 AM   #17
LucianG
Warrior

One more thought on a prequel:

If the new series centers around Adama, Tigh, Baltar, Cain, etc., I believe Lorne Greene would have the distinction of being the only person in TV history who would have had TWO of his characters “prequeled:” Ben Cartwright on the Bonanza prequel series “The Ponderosa” and Adama on the new BG prequel series.
Old January 15th, 2003, 05:37 AM   #18
Apothis
On Vacation...

Default You welcome dilbertman

Thanks for the compliment. Scifiman76 and you said the same thing at the SciFiboard and it feels nice to know others like my idea.

Last edited by Apothis; January 15th, 2003 at 05:45 AM..
Apothis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2003, 07:41 AM   #19
woozle

1) A

2) I think a new prequel show could be both original and have tantalizing references to the series. In the old show, there was a lot of material to refer to, like the character's background (especially Starbuck's), the war, politics, Baltar's intrigue, the casino on the Ovian world, the other 'lost' colonies.

3) B Seeing Comander Apollo would be cool, or Wing commander Starbuck, but the actors are getting old and have moved on.
Old January 15th, 2003, 08:05 AM   #20
emerita
Bad Email Address

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

#1 YES
#2 prequel with how they got here...sort of like SW EP I,II & III..at least I would like to know....
#3 YES...I think having as many original characters as possible would be good. Letting them have children to carry on would give the older characters closure and a way for BSG to continue.

Last edited by emerita; January 15th, 2003 at 08:07 AM..
emerita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2003, 12:15 PM   #21
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Default Answers

1. A.

2. I WOULD watch a prequel series if it was set at the point when humans first encounter the Cylons and war breaks out. The technology would be primitive like in RDM's take on the battlestars.

You'd have to have all the teminology, the echoes of ancient Earth civilisations in costuming and props. Some of the spirituality of the original.

You could do stories set on all the 12 worlds, with the Hasaris and Delphinians, the Nomen etc. It's just a wealth of possibilities because the humans never think the war will last as long as it will.

Maybe the main characters could be the forbears of Adama and Baltar, you could have Count Iblis sowing the seeds of the downfall of the reptilian Cylons.

You could film the scenes in a different style but still have sounds in space and a different style of musical cues. BUT I WOULD RETAIN STU PHILLIPS' OPENING THEME IN ALL IT'S GLORY!

I'd get the guys who did Taken to do the SFX.

The Galactica herself would be the same basic silouette but more sort of 50 steps on from our Apollo programme.

You could have ship to ship battles without particle beam fire because that tech hasn't been developed yet.

Oh, and definitely no sex! Family show = more viewers!

3. A. 12 two hour movies a year (one a month). GAL was right, the two-parters were always better.

Regards,

Peter

P.S. No technobabble and no A, B, C and D plots like in Star Trek!
peter noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2003, 12:28 PM   #22
repcisg
Bad Email Address

Question #1 A
Question #2

A Prequel,

One of the many issues of the original is that it promised so much while delivering only tantalizing suggestions of a strong idealistic society built on a firm moral foundation. With a prequel set far enough in the future it would be possible to rebuild the foundation of the original series without touching it. We could see the grandness, depth and breadth of a powerful human society rising to the challenge presented by the growing Cylon Empire.

The writers of such a prequel would have the opportunity to build a complete universe on a grand scale, and then develop it into a franchise of enormous potential. A second mini series, based on the first could then tell of Adamas rise to command and his friendship with Tigh. We would see a young Apollo and Starbuck beginning their carriers and building a life long friendship. A third mini would then tell the story of the fall of man and the escape of the Galactica with her ragtag fleet.

This is an opportunity for writers such as RDM to show what they can really do, starting with a clean canvas.

Question #3 A
repcisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2003, 01:12 PM   #23
Artemis
Warrior

Question 1: A.Yes

Question 2: I would be interested in seeing what started the war with the cylons, more than just the passing comment of "to help our neighbors when they were attacked". To also see the fall of the cylon race from a reptilian one to the later one of machines. This would give it the time frame of 1000 yarns before "Saga of a Star World". The heroes: the colonists, the villains: the cylons and possibly Count Iblis if he is truly the one who started this. It would include the construction of the Battlestar Fleet and more about the colonies as individual planets, examining their uniqueness and the reason their ancestors fled from Kobol and settled in this system. Possibly the terra forming of planets to make 12 habitable planets, a single system with 12 habitable planets seems to good to be true.

Question 3: B. Yes but would prefer if it included some of the original actors.
Old January 15th, 2003, 01:30 PM   #24

1] Yes I would, so long as it was still in the vein visually and not like enterprise where their tech has already outstripped TOS.

2] I choose to not answer this based of the fact that everyone's tastes are different. Just do it well and remember the old show fondly and pay it some respect and you will be alright. Enterprise has shown us what happens when producers have no respect for the original show. Can anyone say ratings in the toilet. So remember to dance with the one who brought you and all will be well.

3] Hell yes! This is what we all want in the end
Old January 15th, 2003, 01:57 PM   #25
KJ
Strike Leader

Guess you've been wondering when old KJ would add his two cents, well my answer to all of this is, 1) B! No i would not watch a Prequel series.

Because there isn't strong enough ties to the first series! If BG came back as a continuation then after a few seasons on the airwaves then yes a spinoff series doing a prequel to the Battlestar Galactica universe would make sense but not untill a continuation first! So any Star Wars prequel series saga parallels and similarites can't be put into the same boat as a Galactica because Star Wars story is already told? Old George is giving us a story to bulid on what already exists. BG needs to bulid on is own story first before visiting the past.

And question 2 is also No. I'd flesh out a prequel story ideas if it was based on things said and done in the continuation series, just like Star Trek done with the first four Trek series. Alot of good Trek episodes went back and expanded on previous episodes. These examples doesn't include the Star Trek Enterprise TV series? (Less said about Enterprise the better) Barring any fanfic talks no if this were to be before any continuation NO, no prequel not before first buliding on the previous show? I know we all want the Galactica on screens again and we have different opinions on it, but i feel after 25 years wait TPTB could stop jerking us around and just give us what is logically the best thing for this franchise. CONTINUATION first then during it's run, a spinoff series can deal with a PREQUEL series thus keeping all things within continuity!

Last but not least, 3) B. Yes!

KJ
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2003, 03:19 PM   #26
BSG_Sci_FiPulse
Warrior

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner/Webmaster
SciFiPulse.net

Hi Everyone,

Sorry I havent been posting to much of late, been snowed under with stuff.

QUESTION #1:

In answer to this, yes I would watch a prequal series.

-----------------------------

QUESTION #2 Oh damn, do I have write a load of stuff here lol. Michael I want $1000 per word ok. I will not work for less.

Okay, one of the things that I had problems with in the Classic was the fact that it hinted at many things but never elaborated. The origins of the cylons for example, I would want to know more about them and where they came from.

I would also like to see the two principals as Adama and Tigh, this makes sense due to the scene in the original 3 hour pilot where Adama and Tigh slip into two Vipers in order to communicate without certain political people overhearing.

Also in the episode with Count Iblis Adama demonstrates some abillitie with ESP, and explains in brief to his son Apollo that they used to teach it at the academy when he was a cadet. Maybe this angle could be followed up more. The reasons ESP is tought and the limitations of it's range in regards to attack and defense.

It is also mentioned that other races were attacked by the Cylons, so how about we see the colonials helping these other races defend themselves.

Maybe explore a little about the Barrellian Noman also, why their idyology is so different to the colonials. What created the rift between the colonys and the noman.

I would watch a continuation, only if certain original characters and the actors who played them were to return. However I would also like to see certain changes made to said characters to bring them more into the mould of the 21st century. Maybe have the older characters complaining about some of the younger pilots, and commenting we would never have got away with that in our day.

I also think that a continuation would have a few more female characters as pilots. However more balanced, not matriarchal.

Yes I know it is a shameless plug but I am the one that has to live with it.
BSG_Sci_FiPulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2003, 11:34 PM   #27
oldwardaggit
You old war daggit!

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner/Webmaster
RadioGalactica

>Let's begin:

>UESTION #1: If "Battlestar Galactica" could *only* return >in prequel form (ie. taking place before the events of the >original 1978-79 "Battlestar Galactica" series), would you >watch?

>.) Yes, I would watch a prequel series.
>.) No, I would not watch a prequel series.
--------------------------------------------------------
Yes I would watch and give it a chance because it would leave room for the original to still exist and it would leave room for a continuation in the future. A prequel or a continuation is adding to the franchise and not trying to re create what already exists. So a prequel could be pretty exciting for the fans too.-----------------------------------------------------------

>QUESTION #2 (essay part): If prequel is made, what must it >contain to be acceptable to you as a fan of the original >1978-79 "Battlestar Galactica" series? What timeframe? >What general elements? Where does it take place? Who are >the villains? Who are the heroes? Does this prequel "re->imagine" the original series? How must it directly relate >to the 1978-79 series? BE SPECIFIC.
-----------------------------------------------------
I wouldn't mind seeing Adama and Tigh when they were younger. Maybe around the time when Apollo was a kid but this is just a preference of mine and I would be flexible on the issue because as I said, a prequel would add to the franchise but in order for it to be totally acceptable, it should not contradict the following time line in any drastic way. I would be willing to over look the little things. I would prefer to see it take place on the planet Caprica if we were focusing on Adama's younger life.
The scene where Adama and Tigh get into the vipers so that they may talk in privet and end up talking a little about the good old days, would end up meaning a whole lot more if something was done in a prequel to give more substance to that future scene. The prequel should not re-imagine the original series because there is plenty of room to create in a prequel with out changing things that would make the prequel not consistent with the future time line. The other episodes of Battlestar Galactica should be viewed too because they fill in some of the mystery that takes place in the Galactica Universe. As far as villains go, if the prequel had Adama and Tigh fighting the cylons then their future emotions in the original would mean more too. So this is another case where a prequel has a chance to be stronger and make the original stronger by showing what Adama and Tigh had to go through with the cylons. It would also be interesting to see how Adama met his future wife if we wanted to go back before Apollo was born.

==-----------------------------------------------------

>QUESTION #3: Would you watch made-for->television "Battlestar Galactica" movies which continue >the original 1978-79 "Battlestar Galactica" series 25 >years later with members of the original cast (where >possible), characters, concepts, ships, themes, plus some >new characters and innovations, too? (And ignore the >events of "Galactica: 1980"?)
-------------------------------------------------------
for this one, I pick A
--------------------------------------------------------
>A.) Yes, only if they include members of the original cast >in their roles, such as Richard Hatch, Dirk Benedict, >Terry Carter, Anne Lockhart, etc. along with the new >generation of heroes. (NOTE: Producers/writers are not >specified.)
---------------------------------------------------------

This would be the greatest thing that would ever happen for the fans. This is what we have been asking for, for 20+ years and if this happened, we would do every thing in our power to make sure that every one would watch. We would hit the net like it has never been hit before and every one would know when the show was to air and would be reminded to watch.

With a prequel or a sequel, the franchise will grow and the fan base will grow. More so with a sequel because that is what most are asking for but both would still add to what we love and know as Battlestar Galactica.
T. Shawn Hardy
oldwardaggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2003, 04:25 AM   #28
LucianG
Warrior

This supplement to my original essay includes a couple more comments on the prequel idea:

I don't like the idea of the prequel involving the young version of the original characters because there is too much of a chance of them being changed too drastically. Enterprise, occuring 80 years before the original, but made 30 years after, is a prime case in point. I still like that show, but not nearly as much as I could if the production team was handling it as the truly pioneering-type show that it should be. It's rewriting too much of the original history, which may have to be explained some day as, "Well, we incompetent fools at Star Fleet lost those early records." Now, compare 80 years and a different ship to 15 to 30 years for the same characters (Adama, Tigh, Cain, Baltar). I see a real chance of revisionist history!

The other thing is about the Battlestar Galactica herself (did the Colonials use the female inferrence as the British did until recently?). If a prequel goes back to the original conflict between the Cylons and Hasari when the Colonials became involved, 1000 yahrens before the original series, then the Battlestar Galactica WOULD NOT YET EXIST! There could be an earlier version of a ship named Galactica (Ron Moore's "looks sort-of-like-a-submarine" version?), but it would have to be different since the Galactica wasn't built until 500 yahrens later. With the early-version Galactica, I see a real chance of another "Enterprise" debacle coming here. Instead, if the early history is told in a short sequence in a manner similar to that of Lord of the Rings, we could then flash forward about 500 yahrens to the launch of the Galactica. Too Next Generation-ie? Then go right into one of the Galactica's first big battles sometime after the crew is already familiar with the ship, and tell the whole backstory in flashback.

I think that this has a lot of potential in comparison to a RDM-type "reimagining." Still, a continuation with the original characters and cast, plus new characters, continuing the original themes will be the best way to go.

Last edited by LucianG; January 16th, 2003 at 04:31 AM..
Old January 19th, 2003, 12:16 AM   #29
SS1