Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old March 17th, 2003, 07:36 PM   #1
westy 79
Shuttle Pilot

Default A prequel is not really a victory...

:upchuck:

I must be the only one that isn't jumping up for joy about the rumored prospect of Moore's script becoming a prequel. If work is being done to it, it will be very little. A few name changes here and there and that's it. In the end, we will still be left with a piece of cheap trash. Does anyone really believe that SciFi will suddenly throw more money into this thing in order to make it worthy enough to stand beside the original series? Of course not. And Michael has already leaked out that they have been running through their budget like crazy. What's left to put on the screen?

The problem with Moore's script is that it isn't GALACTICA in any way, shape, or form. Changing a couple of things won't make it any more so. Any new GALACTICA production needs to be written by someone with a genuine love and respect for the original series for it to work. Ron Moore has neither, and it therefore unqualified for the job.

I await the news of what SciFi is up to concerning this new GALACTICA production. Will they honor the original and it's fans with a continuation? Probably not, but I would like to think that that is the reason people like Michael and Titon are so pleased right now (I can't understand why they would be so happy with Moore's existing script becoming a prequel). If it is a prequel, I can only hope that there is a major rewrite underway that essentially scraps the existing Moore script entirely. I don't think SciFi and Moore are going to do that, as it would be the same as admitting defeat without any way to "save face". If it is as I suspect-Moore's current script with a few name changes here and there-I will still refuse to watch it when it premieres. Universal may be strapped for cash (which I find hard to believe with all of the successes it's had in recent years), but you have to spend money to make money. To "cheap out" on this new GALACTICA will ensure failure. Bring back Tom DeSanto and enjoy success for years to come!

Dan
westy 79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2003, 07:49 PM   #2
KJ
Strike Leader

Tell me something i don't already know BSGDAN? Long as you've sent letter and e-mals over the past few years you've got nothing to be ashamed about. Moore better be feeling very ashamed! and then some, were told by him to like or lump it but he doesn't even respect the project he was working on.

Oh lets make that paid for? the big Bitch! about the DeSanto thing was two weeks, 2 weeks away then "Pow" gone! it's sicking the way this has always gone down. can't wait for "E Entertainment" to do a special on Battlestar Galactica the truth of the 25 years wait for a rebirth and the damning controversary behind the delay.

(We see footage of Bonnie Hammer and Moore interviewed scooby doo style)

BH :"I would have done anything to screw over this franchise, and would have gotten away with it too if it hadn't have been for those damn pesky fans!!!"

KJ
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2003, 08:13 PM   #3
ojai22
Dancing Viper Queen

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Dan,

If it is the same script, you're not alone in not jumping for joy. I thought there were going to be rewrites, though. And changes to bring it more in line with the original. If not, I won't watch it either. There's already too much junk on TV.
ojai22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2003, 09:19 PM   #4
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Dan, KJ & Ojai:
just keep the faith as you have been. If I'm reading the kickapoo joy juice level around here correctly....as my friend Connie always says, "It's gonna be OK."

Perhaps someone knows trash when they see it (other than us) and disposed of it. That's just reading between the hints & propaganda of the past 2-3 months, but it's my 2 cubits.
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2003, 12:11 AM   #5
XANATOS

it may not be a victory
but at least a prequel. wont be a defeat
a remake from the start will kill the franchise
at lest a prequel leaves hope

this is why i hate the trekkie scum
who have campaigned for the r.d.m. remake
there show was given a shot
why not let ours have a shot

XANATOS
Old March 18th, 2003, 12:44 AM   #6
GuitarEC

I'll be happy if the original doesn't get destroyed.
Old March 18th, 2003, 12:51 AM   #7
WXM
Shuttle Pilot

I agree with the title of this thead and all that was said thereafter (except the "trekkie scum "part by XANATOS; not that I'm a real Trekkie...however, I do understand why you said it. I don't really like those specific folks (pro-RDM) either.).

I'm going with jewels' vibe and believing that something much better than the RDM script, with names and timeframe changed, will be put on screen. To be so bold, I believe that everyone here, in the end, will get a series that will make them (reasonably) happy! Yay!

- WXM
Old March 18th, 2003, 04:46 AM   #8
newt
Warrior

Default Ebbs and Tides

Everything moves at a cyclical pace, increasing in amplitude (and sometimes frequency) until the product actually is made. We've seen it with Galactica: outside of a few comic book series and some fan fiction we had one big lull for close to 20 years. Then there were serious talks of a revival; Larson, Moyer, Hatch, DeSanto, Moore, with wide ranging ideas on how to bring back Galactica. So many ideas were floated, and we should be thankful that these were all considered...including the remake. It lends some measure of credibility to the final product in that anyone can say "that was thought of and discussed, and ultimately dismissed".

I agree with Jewels; the tea leaves, words between the lines, the non-words, the trolls even...are pointing towards a production that does the most important thing: does not destroy the original. Yes, all of us want a continuation; maybe this is the path (remember MF's discussions a month or two ago..."would you go for a prequel with the idea that a continuation movie is possible at a shorter later date...production starting possibly before the mini even airs).

Some people think MF is full of $h*t and is misleading the fans either intentionally or not intentionally; I don't think so (nor do most here, obviously, this being the "continuation supporter heavy" forum). Validation will come soon; it has to. SciFi is actively promoting Galactica 2003 on air now, promising a 12/03 airing. Alll have indicated the production is going to start filming on time, 3/24. BUT...if it is NOT a remake they'll have to change the web page pretty soon; THAT is what I'm waiting for. THAT will be the validation.

I side with Hope because without Hope, what else is there?
newt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2003, 06:50 AM   #9
dah66
Warrior

Sometimes, victory can only be achieved by agreeing to compromise.

If the remake is now a prequel, then I am happier.

If the negative characters and the embarrassing sexual content is being reworked, then I am happier.

If the prequel leaves the door open for a continuation, then I am ready to dance in the street.

dah66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2003, 06:59 AM   #10
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

If the reimagine is now a prequel, then we've achieved something that hasn't been done since the 1960s – actually persuade a studio to alter a decision over a TV series!

Life is compromise, get over it.

Regards,

Peter
Old March 18th, 2003, 07:43 AM   #11
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default Hopefully

I hope the prequel is about the characters we grew to love in the original show and not about William Husker Adama's days at the academy or Gieus Baltar's love life. I wonder if they will "Leak" a synopsis/script of the new production?
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2003, 09:38 AM   #12
jewels

Colonial Fleets

I wouldn't hope for leaks, Kingfish. I would hope for solid dialogue. I would hope those in charge would demand it of those they are serving. Simply because some warriors out here fought too long & too hard and too many shenanigans were pulled in darkness for this to not all happen in the light.

This could be the best PR move Universal ever made: talk to the existing fan base and have them get so psyched they find those (wasn't it 65 million?) casual fans that watched the original premiere and have them show up. Stand the Nielsons and the big 3 on their heads. (OK, I'm blue sky-ing again, isn't it a pretty picture though?)
Old March 23rd, 2003, 11:34 PM   #13
DarkJedi
Bad Email Address

FORUM STAFFVeteran
Fleets Officer

Dan,
First off - you are not alone in how you feel about this. I agree with you on this.

Someone said "life is a compromise get over it" - I don't agree. Seriously, its not going to be a win/win for both sides, then I say back to the tables and chalkboards! You alone can control whether or not you compromise, somethings are worth it - others aren't. Yes that means doing with out but hey if I didn't have it before, I can live with out. And if it means living with out a BSG at all... then that is better than seeing the show chopped up and ripped apart that there is nothing left that even resembles the show (including doing a prequel):uhdrop: I am for continuation or nothing. That is my personal opinion. (yes I know the saying about opinions... ) No matter how they try to "spin" this show they have, reimage, remake prequel what ever the hades it is now --- as long as they have Moore and Eickt at the helm, its gonna be bad!!:upchuck:

Sorry had to speak my mind for a moment. I don't mean to offend anyone, its been a long week and I am on edge till I hear back from my brothers over seas and 2 of my squad members that are over there too.

Kristi
DarkJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2003, 11:38 PM   #14
LordStarFyre
Warrior

Default Kristi

Your Brothers and Friends are in our Prayers!

Onward to victory, and God Speed to our Troops!!!
LordStarFyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2003, 11:43 PM   #15
DarkJedi
Bad Email Address

FORUM STAFFVeteran
Fleets Officer

Default LSF

Thanks LordStarFyre!

Looks like I have been missing a lot lately. All I have to say about this "email" is - until I read it on a LEGIT news source or news link - then it holds no credit. Anyone can write an email from an account they opened and say they are so and so... its happened to me. So call me a doubting Jedi... I don't care but see you are just as doubting as I am on the scifi board.

kristi
DarkJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2003, 05:31 AM   #16
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Default Yet Another Comparison with Trek

Dan,

I hate to drag this back into the Trek arena but I see a Mooreish prequel akin to Star Trek - The Motion Picture. Nothing great, something on the screen with a link back to the original probably with some good effects and ship designs. However, as long as the edited Moore-thing doesn't invalidate the original series, it opens the door to other shows that might actually be good.

Given the choice, I'd rather TPTB pack RDM's bags and send him and his buddy Eick and their fan e-mail laptops they've been using to take petty shots at Michael back to Trekville where they can reimagine their own homeland. Reality says that something is going to be made.

I personally don't think its a choice of jumping for joy but deciding whether or not to throw in the towel, totally reject the new show, and forever call Ron Moore the guy who totally screwed up Galactica.

On the brighter side, I never thought I'd see anything that made G1980 seem like it wasn't so bad. For me, RDM did accomplish that. Its a shame he didn't learn anything from the 1980 trajedy -- of course, to do so, you have to watch something more than the pilot episode DVD.

Two-Brain
TwoBrainedCylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2003, 05:52 AM   #17
jewels

Colonial Fleets

It's not time to throw in the towel. With V-U's financial state and the impending Sale of VUE's entertainment assets (only questions are When?, Who?, How much? & which units?) Moore & Eick could win it back, actually start filming and a new owner go: WHOA. What the ---- does this have to do with Galactica?

Though I'm hoping we'll have a clear cut decision this week or next on the direction of the rewrites, and that Moore & Eick are soundly booted from the power positions. Their tactics have been mind-boggling. Payback time is coming.