Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > ART Work - Finished
Notices

Old August 24th, 2009, 02:44 PM   #1
Fretslayer
Bad Email Address

Question Animation Question

Hey there,

I have a question for you guys.

Around three years ago (give or take) I began animating a BSG short.

It started off from a conversation between me and Dan over at Battlestarfanfilms.com and he asked me to do an animation of a shuttle launch, raider attack and the shuttle being destroyed.

From there I started animating and I'm the kind of person who can't just accept that the shuttle was destroyed...I need to know 'why' it was destroyed.
So I began animating a bit more of a backstory to the shot.

When it first started out, it was going to be an Alien reference where the colonial shuttle was really a trap and inside it was a box carrying an Alien egg with a facehugger inside. I know some of you might be thinking 'wft - cylons are robots!' - well... what about those lizardy-people things who were the real cylons? So imagine if a face hugger got ahold of one of them.

As I was working on the thing it turned into a comedy bit where the cylons would capture the shuttle and in the box (that used to hold the egg) was a bunch of Battlestar Galactica toys. Cylon 1 would be happy that he got the 'Apollo' action figure. Cylon 2 was thrilled that he got the 'Starbuck' action figure. Cylon 3 was bent out of shape that he got stuck with the 'Muffet' action figure. The three of them were about to get into it when Lucifer shows up and tells them to settle the matter in the 'true cylon way' - So of course it ended with Cylons doing 'Rock, Sissors, Paper'.

As I was working on that the project began to take on a serious note again.
Only this time I found myself writing an actual story for it.

Now when I first began doing this, since I wasn't doing it for 'real' and 'just for fun' I was rendering it at 640x480 since that was much faster per frame than my usual settings of either 720x486 or 800x450.

As time went on, I began to feel the need to turn this into a full 45 minute long animated short and I was not wanting to use footage in that ugly resolution. Also I found that my ability to animate had gone up several levels and I was not at all happy with any element of the original footage.

After a long conversation with Dan and a few hours rolling it over in my mind I decided to abandon this footage and use it as moving storyboard demo type of thing.

The story I'm talking about is the one that will by in my 'BSG-3D' animation.
The story in it's new version is more complex than what was in the original and now that I'm back in my home state, I have access to my usual group of voice actors. That means I can have a lot more character development and all of that good stuff.

So - if you've made it this far - thanks for taking the time to read all of this and now I'd like to ask - Do you guys want me to share the old footage with you? If you remember that TOS intro animation I shared before, this is the rest of that project. Or at least, the rest of 'Part-1' of that project.

Oh, and one more thing - when I did this animation I had less than two months experience with Carrara and about 1 year with 3DsMax and 6 months with Lightwave.
But don't let that fool ya!

So anyway - let me know if you guys would like to see it.

Thanks.
Dan
Fretslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 06:40 AM   #2
gmd3d
Major

Default Re: Animation Question

Of course we would like to see it..

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 06:47 AM   #3
Fretslayer
Bad Email Address

Default Re: Animation Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
Of course we would like to see it..
I posted a link to it in the thread titled '13 minute BSG animation.'
It's around 170mb in size - that's the smallest I could make it and still have some level of quality. The source file is around 350mb.
Fretslayer is offline   Reply With Quote