Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > ART Work - Finished
Notices

Old September 25th, 2006, 06:01 PM   #1
jjrakman

Muffit Man's Best Friend: An updated daggit

I always thought it was too bad that in any continuation most wanted to leave the daggit behind. I've always thought that if you could get it to look more like a labrador, and less like a fur covered beach ball, it could really have some cool applications in the BSG universe.

After all, there are K-9 units in the army and police here on Earth. So I spent a few minutes doing a lame cut and paste job just to see if I could materialize what I thought one could look like.

The result was sort of a vague outline of what I've been thinking:

Old September 25th, 2006, 07:15 PM   #2
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Woof!
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2006, 08:12 PM   #3
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

You know. I like the concept. Wilker mentioned trained Daggits had been used as sentries around Warrior encampments. LPotG would have had a different ending had one of these met that Cylon instead of Serina.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2006, 10:07 AM   #4
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

MOD NOTE: (After first warning of "no TNS Galactica discussion", that part of the thread has been removed. Original content preserved...since that is a pretty kick ass pic. )

Martok
Old September 26th, 2006, 07:31 PM   #5
jjrakman

Thanks guys. I know it isn't the meat of the show by any means, but it's the little things like this, the seasonings, that made the show uniquely Battlestar Galactica.
Old October 16th, 2006, 03:02 PM   #6
Kalmidor
Shuttle Pilot

Daggits are awesome...they are really great things
Kalmidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 09:42 AM   #7
spcglider
Squadron Leader

I hate to admit it, that picture scares me!

I know you were working with an available image, but it appears to be more of a cyborg dog than a mechanical daggit.

That's just my first blush, though. I'll examine the pic again. Its a good image...and good work on your part. Don't mean to sound like I'm knocking you!

I've ruminated on this subject as well. As a robot, there realy isn't any need for fur, but I can understand that the humans might have a little trouble accepting a gleaming metallic robot as a trusted protector... what with the cylons and all. The fur being a "public relations" element... makes the robot not look so cylon-ish. And just the idea that the robot would be in the shape of a daggit and not a more physically practical-for-robot-mechanics form could be a method of alleviating the psychological aversion that Colonials may have to robots.

In some of the original scripts, there were supposed to be worker bots on board the colonial fleet. Just benign little droids doing menial tasks in the background. Whether they were eliminated for story purposes or practical dollar and cents purposes, is unclear.

But frankly, if my entire way of life was wiped out by robots, I'd have a little trepidation in accepting other robots into my new life.

Your comment about Muffit 2 being a fur-covered beach ball is pretty dead-nuts on. I always referred to Muffit 2 as the "monkey in a bear suit". It never really looked like a dog to me. More like an Ewok or something. I like Muffit 2 for what he is, but your idea that the fleet would have made a better, more kick-ass robot dog for defense is astute and makes great sense.

Of course, story-wise, Muffit 2 was built practically overnight by Wilker out of what he had available. So a litle clunky-ness in the execution should be excused. And if Muffit's programmng was a little hinky, that'd be understandable too. Wilker's a genius, but even a genius can do only so much while running for his life from The Alliance.

Now that this new marble is rattling around in my brain jar, maybe I'll take a cue from you and try my hand at designing a sleeked-up Muffit 3 daggit design?

-Gordon
Old November 3rd, 2006, 10:17 AM   #8
dilbertman
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcglider
Now that this new marble is rattling around in my brain jar, maybe I'll take a cue from you and try my hand at designing a sleeked-up Muffit 3 daggit design?

-Gordon
Go 4 IT!

Jim
dilbertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 10:39 AM   #9
dilbertman
Warrior Ace

Here's some real robot dogs.

https://www.anonymousphilanthropist.c...robotdogs.html

Cylon Daggit?

https://www.avland.co.uk/sony/ers220/

Jim
dilbertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 12:43 PM   #10
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Yeah, that Sony dog is really pushing the cylon design envelope!

I guess if the cylons were prone to creating cute mechanical representations of domestic animals, they'd have created something just like that.
I don't think that design would fly in the colonies, though.

But that's alot of good reference at the robot dog page!

-G
Old November 3rd, 2006, 07:07 PM   #11
jjrakman

Quote:
I hate to admit it, that picture scares me!
didn't mean to do that! lol

Quote:
I know you were working with an available image, but it appears to be more of a cyborg dog than a mechanical daggit.That's just my first blush, though. I'll examine the pic again. Its a good image...and good work on your part. Don't mean to sound like I'm knocking you!
No not at all. It's just a crude cut & paste job. I mainly created it as a method to maybe inspire some real CG artists out there. To suggest that maybe there was something to the daggit after all.

Quote:
I've ruminated on this subject as well. As a robot, there realy isn't any need for fur, but I can understand that the humans might have a little trouble accepting a gleaming metallic robot as a trusted protector... what with the cylons and all. The fur being a "public relations" element... makes the robot not look so cylon-ish. And just the idea that the robot would be in the shape of a daggit and not a more physically practical-for-robot-mechanics form could be a method of alleviating the psychological aversion that Colonials may have to robots.
I agree. The fur, aside from making it reminiscent of the original daggit and giving it that unique BSG flavor, I think the fur would primarily be a psychological factor. To maybe help foster a "partner" kind of bond, like cops and their K-9 units.

Quote:
Your comment about Muffit 2 being a fur-covered beach ball is pretty dead-nuts on. I always referred to Muffit 2 as the "monkey in a bear suit". It never really looked like a dog to me. More like an Ewok or something. I like Muffit 2 for what he is, but your idea that the fleet would have made a better, more kick-ass robot dog for defense is astute and makes great sense.
I agree with this completely. I think there might even stil be a place for the original Muffit daggit, possibly rebuilt by a grown up Boxey to be handed down to a new child, like handing down a teddy bear or something. But not any more integral to the story than that. My idea was that possibly a grown up Boxey would have liked the daggit so much, that he decided to create a more workhorse or soldier type of robotic canine unit to be put into wide use.

Quote:
That'd be awesome. That's the whole reason I made it!
Old November 4th, 2006, 10:24 AM   #12
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Hi all!

That's very cool jjrakman, I like it. Kind of like Rin Tin Tin in space.
Of course you know, "daggit" is derived from a swear word...

dag-nab-it! ---> daggit

Miss all of you. Take care...
Muffit
Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2006, 10:52 AM   #13
gmd3d
Major

Muffit good to see you back , even just to say hello

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 08:12 PM   #14
jjrakman

Quote:
So did you come up with anything yet SPC?
Old December 16th, 2006, 09:37 AM   #15
Kaderith
Shuttle Pilot

Kinda looks like the Borg got ahold of that puppy...
Kaderith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 01:13 PM   #16
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Yes, it could very well be a Borg-shire Terrier.