Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > All About Models
Notices
All About Models Information on making models, real or CGI. Tutorials as well.
Requests and questions should be posted here.

Old July 13th, 2009, 04:04 PM   #1
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default For my upcoming Dark Exodus project...a Cylon Raider

Well, in taking a break from the animation side of things for a bit, I got back into ship construction.

Here's my Cylon Raider, done in two scales....flight scale (the smaller one) and actor scale. You can even see the engine glow on the smaller scale ship in one image.

Now that I've come to understand how the parent/child relationship works when assembling components for ships and props, constructing them comes MUCH faster.

These babies oughtta look better once they're in action.

Old July 13th, 2009, 11:56 PM   #2
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Default Re: For my upcoming Dark Exodus project...a Cylon Raider

And here are a couple of shots of my Cylon basestar. It is obviously a work in progress, but it is coming along MUCH nicer than my first attempt at it.

The top center of the ship (and what you can see of the core) is a texture map taken from a photo of my Konami basestar miniature. (Gotta love having physical models for references. )

And this is a classic angle of the great Cylon basestar. Wow....she's lookin' menacing already!

Old July 14th, 2009, 05:24 PM   #3
ernie90125
Also Present

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

I'm interested to see how this develops.

Different animators/modellers have different styles. Some look like computer game footage, others go for the photo realistic look.

What I'm seeing in these shots, is something a bit different, it has a cartoon 'feel'. I think in animation circles its called 'toon shaded' ? If so, its a new look for BSG fanfilms, and I like it....
ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2009, 05:34 PM   #4
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Thanks, Ernie. Believe me, the cartoon shading is partial accidental, partial necessity. I tried doing a fully poly'd out basestar, but it was just too much for iClone to handle.....so, my final render for the basestar will have to be texture mapping....largely hand-drawn by yours truly....so it's definitely going to have a cartoon look/feel. I just hope it won't detract from the story.

BTW, in a few minutes, I'll have a test animation on YouTube of my Raider approaching the basestar. It turned out surprisingly good.

Just wait til I tackle the Galactica herself!
Old July 14th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #5
CBSG4ever
Warrior Ace

Location: In My Battlestar over San Diego waiting for everyone else...

Looking forward to seeing more Steve. Great work! Gotta love the design of the Baseship. Like Col. Tigh said, "an orbiting killer." Keep up the nice work.

Steve

"You're gonna need a bigger boat..." Chief Brody - Jaws
"Kind of a bummer gettin' your butt kicked by a dead guy" - Col. T.C. McQueen, S:AaB-(Ray Butts)
"A kind word and a 2-by-4 is better than just a kind word" - Marcus Cole, Babylon 5
"WIVES...uh...aren't we getting a little ahead of ourselves?" Starbuck - Living Legend
"Every creature in the Universe is out to exterminate us and YOU want to hire a vocal group." Boomer - Saga of a Starworld
CBSG4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2009, 05:54 PM   #6
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Many thanks, Steve. Will have the animation up in a few moments, after I find the right music and sfx.