Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > ART Work - Finished
Notices

Old August 20th, 2011, 11:05 PM   #1
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default My Miranda class cruiser..U.S.S. Revanche

Finally, here is my Miranda class cruiser. It's a virtual kit-bash of my refit Constitution Enterprise.
I've named her the U.S.S. Revanche, NCC-14327.

Old August 21st, 2011, 06:49 PM   #2
Apolloisall
Warrior Ace

Default Re: My Miranda class cruiser..U.S.S. Revanche

Wow, lots of laser action on them pix...

Cool.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 06:18 PM   #3
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

HA HA! Yeah, the grid lines and 3D widgets do kinda clutter up some of the shots.
Maybe the Revanche was caught in a new type of Tholian web.
Old August 25th, 2011, 06:23 AM   #4
Thunderstruck
Warrior

Am amazed at the abilities of others to model.

and some so quickly.

I still have not scratched much surface in this regard yet, maybe never will, I like to use them in vidz - and to learn how to use apps.

really need to learn some simulation/dynamics, but that looks like a really cool toy

" Boy would I like to fire Her Lasers/Phasers" lol

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/.../Viper-Sig.gif
So much to learn , so little time, and so many ideas with so little knowledge and so much to discover with so many things to try.
Thunderstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2011, 09:19 AM   #5
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Thanks, QH.
Again, this model is a kitbash, so the only things I really had to build for her were the secondary hull and the rollbar weapons pod. I thought this would be about a 1 day project, but it turned out being a 2 day endeavor. (I had to redo the secondary hull...some of its angles looked wrong.) Also, I've not learned how to texture in Blender yet. All the lettering that I did for the ship(s) were done in iClone.

Looking at the main nomenclature on the saucer section....you can see the name U.S.S. Revanche NCC-14327(which I was able to get the Federation Bold Extended font). Each letter, except for the U.S.S. part, is an individual plane that I had to carefully try to lay against the curvature of the saucer section. This was a tricky endeavor. However, it was made a little easier by doing the following.

Starting with the letter "R", I moved the first plane to the hull, sized it appropriately, and attached it to the hull, standing straight up. Once it was attached, I then placed the diffuse and opacity images for the "R". Then I proceeded to rotate the plane so that it seemed to lie right on the hull. You have to really look at the lettering closely to tell that it is just oh, so slightly risen above the hull. Now that that was in place, I simply copied that plane. The new copy is still attached to the hull, so it was simply a matter of sliding the new copied plane into the right position, and then applying the "E" diffuse and opacity imagery. Lather rinse repeat for the rest of the name "Revanche" and "NCC-14327". I only used Federation Bold Extended for the saucer section. All other lettered markings throughout the ship are Starfleet Wide font. And at that, I could use whole words, as opposed to individual letters. All my lettering textures were done in PhotoShop, although GIMP is perfectly acceptable if you don't have/can't afford PhotoShop. (I lucked out with my copy. ) I wish I could afford the latest version of PhotoShop though, because it has a feature that allows you to directly paint right onto a .obj file. I could then take that and convert it to an iClone .vns file. WOW....that would certainly make life easier for me, and make my ships look that much more accurate.

Lettering the ship was probably the longest part of the modeling process for me, since on the saucer section, the lettering not only has to lie on the hull, but it has to follow the curve of the radius of the saucer.
Old August 27th, 2011, 12:23 PM   #6
Thunderstruck
Warrior

"Each letter, except for the U.S.S. part, is an individual plane that I had to carefully try to lay against the curvature of the saucer section. This was a tricky endeavor."

oh boy done that a couple of times.

Since I cant UV unwrap/wrap using body paint yet( and maybe never will) lol

I have had to do nameplates several times using planes also. but if you want it done, got to do it any ways you can right

As I have said, why o why o dint I start learning this stuff a long time ago.....
in this galaxy....

Am toying with a part 4 BSG / Empire. just pure battle. but am lacking know how but first minute is shaping up. spending a great deal more time making the scenes and setting them up. Will add a wip maybe....

KIU wants more to watch. ADDICTED

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/.../Viper-Sig.gif
So much to learn , so little time, and so many ideas with so little knowledge and so much to discover with so many things to try.
Thunderstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 08:57 PM   #7
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Lookin forward to it.