Other Science Fiction Shows A place to discuss all of the other Sci-Fi shows
which may tickle your fancy!

Old September 28th, 2005, 07:59 PM   #1
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Default Serenity--message from Joss

This was mass emailed to the Browncoat mailing list tonight.
[quote=Joss Whedon]Hey Browncoats,

We have just a few more days to go! Serenity will be in theaters this Friday, September 30! Today, Joss posted this message for all Browncoats on the message boards:

Well boys and girls and boys dressed as girls and girls dressed as Kaylee, the time is almost upon us. This Friday we take that old rust-bucket out of the shipyard and see if she can breach atmo. It's been a long (to paraphrase a band I like) strange trip, and it'll be nice finally to show everybody what it is we've been tinkering with all this time. You already know you have my thanks, from the hardcore fans to the softcore... fans.... let me try that again. From the people manning the booths, buying DVD sets for their friends, getting banners seen everywhere on Australian TV, raffling artwork for ticketholders (Adam Hughes, take a bow), to the most casual fan who just wants to see the flick and won't ever even read this. You guys are the fuel in the engine, the Fire in the Fly, the weird green stuff coming out of Serenity's butt. (Hmmm. Forget that last one. I'm a little bit out of control here.)

Everyone needs something to keep them going. Mal has his ship. Zoe has her integrity. Jayne has Vera. And I've got you guys.

So what now? There have been so many posts about seeing it, seeing it again, the first weekend, the second weekend, being enthusiastic without being obnoxious (and yes, it IS hard to see over the pom-pom of a Jayne hat), buying tickets in advance, making a noise... I honestly wouldn't know what to add. I can tell you this: the movie will play in about 2200 hundred theaters, which is a good number. Too many, and you get empty theaters with no energy -- not enough, and you get, well, not enough. It may be hard to find in some areas but it'll be out there. Leave no multiplex unturned! This is going to be a ground war, peeps -- we have to hold the valley for a long while. However it opens, it needs to HOLD. Instead of the Alliance we'll be fighting viewer apathy, fear of something new, the urge to wait for DVD, and Jessica Alba in a bikini. (Although I have it on good authority that she spends 90% of the film in a huge wooly parka. Make sure that gets out.)

The day this puppy opens, I'll be seeing it with my family (don't worry, there's a lot of them, and they're all paying) and then I'm off to Europe to learn the word 'Browncoats' in nine different languages -- 'cause like I said, it's all about holding. I'll never be far from a computer, though, so I can check in with y'all. Thanks for every damn thing.

And remember, amidst all the urgency to make this an event, all the work and the worry, to take two hours and just enjoy yourself. That is, after all, what all this fighting's about.

-joss.

You can read his post at https://browncoats.serenitymovie.com/serenity

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 05:39 AM   #2
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Joss, one big damn genius.

Come back and do some TV Joss, we need you, badly!
peter noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 06:02 AM   #3
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Peter,
One BD Genius whose humble enough to thank the folks that made his movie saleable. That's the kind of person I care to support.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 08:08 AM   #4
LadyImmortal
Bad Email Address

Amen, Jewels, Amen!

I cannot WAIT to see this movie! YES! Finally some good sci-fi to sink my teeth into!

--Rhonda
LadyImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 10:10 AM   #5
Tabitha
Bad Email Address

Me too, I didnt even watch the origional series because of time conflicts, work, TV.. work wins... but I am thrilled with the idea of Joss getting a series back on. Buffy was awesome the while he held the reins, and the others, were good, but not up to HIS level. But I am definately gonna go see this one, Im even gonna see about getting the ASU squad to go together, maybe in uniform, to drum up interest..

tabbi
Tabitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 11:27 AM   #6
captmiloman
Bad Email Address

It's definately the big damn movie we've been waiting to see. Sorry Mr. Lucas. Your time has passed.
captmiloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 05:10 PM   #7
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

REVIEW OF SERENITY-

Well, I went to Serenity. My day started out perfectly enough as the busride to get me over to Superior from Duluth was sheer perfection in timing.

I walked into the theatre, sat down, played my PSP until the previews started rolling. Thankfully, they were kept to only three previews, finishing off with DOOM.

I was stoked. I was ready to join collective Browncoats in sheer joy at the playing of this movie, and to come out singing its praises when the end credits rolled.

Then the movie began. It started out deceptively big screen enough.

And then the signal that can't be stopped just seemed to stall from there.

The movie had its humorous moments, and Kaylee was always a pleasure to see. Everyone performed their roles to perfection, just like the TV show.

The story itself was tight, with a couple of plotholes (but then, what story is perfect.)

The special FX varied from pretty darned good to pretty darned good for a video game cutscene.

Otherwise, the cinematography, combined with the varying quality of special FX and the nature of the story just kinda meshed in a way that didn't jive for me.

I really, really wanted to be blown away by this movie, but ultimately (with the exception of a few laughs) I really was rendered stone cold.

One major inconsistency that irked me was "sound in space". What?! Firefly was vaunted for its realism of NO SOUND IN SPACE, which it held for most of the movie...and then all of a sudden, in a major FX sequence...there's sound?! And they were still in space!!! The movie lost serious cool points with me there. I was at a point of: "Make up your mind!"

I am doing my best to avoid spoilers for anyone who has not seen the film.

Well, my breakdown is thus:

Story: 4/5
Acting: 5/5
Special FX: 3/5
Big Screen Experience: 1/5

OVERALL: 3.25 / 5

To sum SERENITY up in three words: A Good Episode.

Joss, I think it's time for that moment of silent contemplation.

Respectfully,
Martok2112
Old October 1st, 2005, 05:15 PM   #8
gmd3d
Major

Should I go and see it .. I have never seen a firefly episode before either so .. Will it ruin the TV experance for me or go anyway and see Firefly its better ..

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 05:18 PM   #9
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis
Should I go and see it .. I have never seen a firefly episode before either so .. Will it ruin the TV experance for me or go anyway and see Firefly its better ..
It was a glorified episode.