Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old December 12th, 2010, 02:43 AM   #1
Punisher454
Warrior Ace

Default Colonial Force-Fields: technology and usage

So I am a little too busy right now do do any 3d modeling, but have still been thinking about a few things to implement once I get more modeling time.

I prefer my sci-fi a little on the hard and gritty side. I dont care much for trek style force fields, shields, scanners etc... Thats one of the things that I liked about BSG, and still do. I always had a little dislike for the idea that the atmosphere in the landing bays was obviously held in with some kinda fantasy force-field. It wasnt a deal breaker, but not my favorite aspect of the show's tech.

Now, its 2010. I recently watched a science show that was showing off some new "plasma window" technology that they said was strong enough to hold air pressure. Granted its a small field, like less than 1 square inch, but I could see the posibility. Now I can clearly see the legitimate plausibility of energy fields being used to contain a pressurized atmosphere.

But I'm thinking this is probably still cutting edge technology for the colonials. So how much equipment and power do you suppose would be used for such a system in a battlestar landing bay? I'm thinking it will fill a significant portion of the unseen space in the hull of the aft end of the landing bay. Such a system would logically also have to have its own emergency "uninterruptable power supply".
I think that possibly located above the launch tubes would also be massive amounts of equipment dedicated to generating fields inside the tubes to contain the atmosphere, but also block high pressure engine exhaust from wiping out the launching bay. perhaps the engines are ignited after the viper enters the tube and the high pressure gases are re-directed (possibly re-cycled) elsewhere.
I have already come to the conclusion that under the launch tubes there would be the aparatus for the catapults.

I'm still working out a functional and plausible layout for the landing bay section of the ship, and so far I have around 60-70% of the hull's interior volume accounted for in that part of the ship. My eventual goal is a 3d interactive simulation/game experience. I dont plan to map out the entire galactica, just the landing bay "pods" and a few other isolated key areas.

Opinions welcomed, and ideas appreciated.

Last edited by Punisher454; December 12th, 2010 at 02:44 PM..
Punisher454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2010, 08:17 AM   #2
Matador
Viper Pilot

Default Re: Colonial Force-Field's: technology and usage

Hmm. I've always ponder the same thing. I always figured that the landing strip area of the landing pods was open to vacuum of space and that any landing crew would have had to wear environmental suites like in 2001 space odyssey... But Galactica style and color.

I always thought the launch tubes and aircraft service bay was located a deck or two below the landing strip... Like on an aircraft carrier... This would be the sealed area to safely work on the ships. Once a Viper landed, it would taxi to an elevator that would lower it down to the service bay area.

I'm actually working on a CG animation sequence of this process.

My theory regarding the gravity on and around the ship was due to a natural magnetic field energy created by the massive engines of Galactica. The engines would increase the mass of the ship and give it gravity. Which they probably could fine tune to give similar earth type gravity.

I always theorized that the engines created a gravitational field that surrounded Galactica... They used this technology to their advantage, one to have natural gravity on the ship and also benefited them when it came time for the vipers and shuttles to land... I always imagined that once the vipers got within the gravitational range of Galactica, they would have a slight pull to one side or the other... Making landing a bit tricky, but a well trained Viper or Shuttle pilot was always quick to compensate for this.

The gravitational filed would only extended outside Galactica a few meters.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2010, 09:49 AM   #3
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

There's a force field in both bays, that's why in Fire In Space the fire doesn't get snuffed out after the kamikaze run because the field is still working seemingly independent of any control from the bridge!
Old December 16th, 2010, 08:08 PM   #4
Punisher454
Warrior Ace

Yes I also believe a force field of some sort was implied. My question was basically how much space do you think the required support equipment for such a system would require, given examples of other tech in the show.

Quote:
that's why in Fire In Space the fire doesn't get snuffed out
That actually helps support my theory on there being isolated self contained backup power systems for the force fields. Its really the last system you'd want to have an unexpected failure at any time.

And to Matador,
Placing the launch tubes below the landing deck is VERY problematic. If you use the studio model as a guide, the launch tubes are elevated between 16 and 60 feet above the landing deck (depending on your interpretation of the galactica's scale).
In GINO the launch tubes were below the landing deck as well as the hanger, and they used no force fields. Overall GINO did a good job of explaining their shows tech without going 'trek', but GINO tech and TOS:BSG tech are completely different.
Old December 17th, 2010, 07:55 AM   #5
gmd3d
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher454 View Post
Yes I also believe a force field of some sort was implied. My question was basically how much space do you think the required support equipment for such a system would require, given examples of other tech in the show.

That actually helps support my theory on there being isolated self contained backup power systems for the force fields. Its really the last system you'd want to have an unexpected failure at any time.
I think there that its like the Gravity on the Enterprise in Star Trek .. all power could be out , but you still have gravity .. or Velcro soles .
I think the internal layout of each bay allows large generators for power reserve

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 07:58 AM   #6
gmd3d
Major

Quote:

And to Matador,
Placing the launch tubes below the landing deck is VERY problematic. If you use the studio model as a guide, the launch tubes are elevated between 16 and 60 feet above the landing deck (depending on your interpretation of the galactica's scale).
In GINO the launch tubes were below the landing deck as well as the hanger, and they used no force fields. Overall GINO did a good job of explaining their shows tech without going 'trek', but GINO tech and TOS:BSG tech are completely different.
I always thought myself that the launch tubes would be better served below the landing deck. with perhaps some rapid launch tubes along the sides as in the original model.

But if matador can fiddle with his scale it would work just as well. perhaps lift the landing deck even higher.

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 03:52 PM   #7
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

Launch tunes on top of the landing deck works just as well as below. Elevators can go in both directions. I don't think the Field Generators would take up alot of room per say, since the Maintenence decks, storage decks (the Raider and Eastern Alliance Destoryer were taken out of Storage to be allowed to launch in "Baltar's escape"

The Bulk of the landing bays do have athmosphere, since the Terran Shuttle seemed to launch straight out the ship after the Terrans were put back on board. If it had to transit down to the launch bay (the same Landing deck in this case) they could have stopped the Shuttle easy.

As for launching the vipers, I don't think there are any force fields there. I think when you hit the Turbo button to launch, you are actually activating the catapolt. At least till you enter the "second" section of the tube. A Hatch would shut down behind you (think the blast deflectors on a Modern Carrier, but Faster and a complete seal on the tube) With this tube shutting down, the outer hatch opens and Turbos are no enabled. and the escaping air helps push you out the tube as well.

Classic fan, and die hard!
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 07:20 PM   #8
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Is there any actual Art In-Progress here or is this just discussion?
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 11:32 PM   #9
Punisher454
Warrior Ace

Yes sorry, art is in progress, but kind of a long term project. but I guess it may have more appropriate in the galactica discussion area,

You may remember some of this from before the CF crash of 2010.

https://www.colonialfleets.com/forums...ad.php?t=17410

Looks like i need to re-upload those images to display them.

Anyhow, I managed to get a bit of modeling time and am going a bit further with this now. Yesterday I started on a basic galactica exterior shell, which conforms to the 2008 Jim Stevenson drawings. The thing is that you need to be able to fit these things like launch tubes, launching bays, elevators, landing bay, hangers, warrior transit tubes,decon chambers and such inside the hull. So far I have managed to squeeze in launching bays with launch-tubes about 100 feet long.The launching bay sets conform to the studio filming set scale, and the elevators behind the vipers are large enough to actually fit a viper .
Right now, I'm trying to layout the compartments which should contain the forcefield and launch catapult equipment. I also think there should be an extensive high volume ventilation system.
Anyhow, I'll try to re-load the old images, and hopefully I'll have some new stuff to show within a week or so.
Old December 18th, 2010, 01:39 AM   #10
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Quote:
Right now, I'm trying to layout the compartments which should contain the forcefield and launch catapult equipment. I also think there should be an extensive high volume ventilation system.
Anyhow, I'll try to re-load the old images, and hopefully I'll have some new stuff to show within a week or so.
Fantastic!
Old December 18th, 2010, 05:52 AM   #11
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

LOL Re: Colonial Force-Field's: technology and usage

Quote:
Yes sorry, art is in progress, but kind of a long term project. but I guess it may have more appropriate in the galactica discussion area,
Abra Kadabra! Moved
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote