Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old December 13th, 2003, 03:34 PM   #1
beeker
Bad Email Address

Default New to the Fleet

Hello everyone,

There didn't seem to be a dedicated place to post an introduction before jumping into the topics, so I thought that I would post it here. I am a fan of the miniseries. I've already seen it four times (VCRs are wonderful devices ), and I'll probably see it many more times. I really hope it goes to series.

I've been roaming the boards for a while and I feel that there is enough intelligent discussion going on (on all sides of the BSG spectrum) that I'm willing to enter the fray. The Scifi board is driving me nuts (it has taken over ten hours for a post to show), and I don't really care for CA or the 2003.net board. I like the seperation CF created between the pro/con mini views. Anyway I'm looking forward to having some good discussions about BSG'03 (is that acceptable shorthand for it?). Especially about the political/military aspects of the show.

Sincerely,

Jim Rose
beeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2003, 05:07 PM   #2
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

beeker,

Welcome to the Fleets!

Quote:
BSG'03 (is that acceptable shorthand for it?).
G03 is even better!

Enjoy yourself!

BST
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2003, 05:54 PM   #3
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Welcome to the boards! I'm glad you like it here.

Scifi is not the best of boards to post on. They censor posts. That's why there is a long lag. If you notice on monday there was a flood of negative posts. Then all of a sudden there was stop. The negatives views got reduced to a trickle and I got alot of complaints that postings weren't going through.

We don't have that problem here.

Btw, you can say G03, BG2003, or anything you really want. Alot of us call it the Mini cause we got tired of saying miniseries. Its also easy to type

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2003, 06:16 PM   #4
Starbuck
I'm 100% female

Welcome!
Starbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2003, 06:37 PM   #5
amberstar
Strike Leader

HI there and welcome to Fleets. I hope you enjoy being here

Amberstar
Old December 15th, 2003, 05:54 PM   #6
xenagabby99
Shuttle Pilot

Default Hey

Hey I guess I'll introduce myself over here as well. I'm a huge fan of the new mini series and a pretty decent fan of the old series. I'm kind of in the middle, not a purist, but not a passerby fan either. My brother was always a huge fan of the original series and has been ever since it came on back in the 70s. That's a long time to be a fan and to him and everyone else who has been a fan since then I say kudos! It's always cool for something like that to have a following so huge and to know that you can jump on that bandwagon anytime and be welcomed with open arms by everyone there. Since I was born in 1981 I've only been a fan of the show very shortly but I love it all! Now my brother had his disappointments in this new series but I don't think that has anything to do with being a purist, he's a traditionalist. He likes traditions and hates when anything in the smallest way is changed and I'm thinking that may be the case for a lot of other fans too. It may not be tha they don't like the new series but do not like change. Oh well my little old opinion meant in no offense. Anyway I'm from Cincy Ohio and I love all things sci-fi, favorite show up until it left the airwaves *sniff sniff* was Buffy. Anything else you want to know about me just ask. All I can say is that I'm fun and interesting to talk to and I guess that's a good thing in a place like this. Look forward to chatting with you all!!
xenagabby99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2003, 05:58 PM   #7
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

xenagabby99,

Welcome to the Fleets!!

This really is a wonderful place. Enjoy yourself!

BST
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2003, 06:00 PM   #8
xenagabby99
Shuttle Pilot

Default Thanks

Thanks for the warm welcome BST! I know it's going to be a lot of fun around here. Everyone seems really great!
xenagabby99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2003, 08:16 PM   #9
callsignfalcon
Warrior

Default Me too!

This is my third day here!
callsignfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2003, 08:29 PM   #10
baafan
Shuttle Pilot

I didn't earlier, but along with Beeker and Xenagabby99, I'd like to now take this time and use this thread to briefly introduce myself.

While technically I've been a CF member since earlier this year, I haven't found the time to post, although I have done a fair bit of lurking. Emerita recruited me from one of the Cinescape boards when I responded to a BSG post there. Never even knew there was such a huge fan base.

I have been a fan ever since BSG aired in '78. In fact, I loved BSG so much that it became my "reason/justification" for buying my first ever VCR. And back then, those darn things cost over $1,000. And video tapes cost almost $40 for a T-120 tape. So I have a tape collection of the original airings. And trust me, that was quite expensive for me back then.

Anyways, I'm from Pittsburgh originally and I'm now living in Sugar Land, Texas. I'm married and have 3 kids (all teenagers). My degree is in electrical engineering, although I work in what is called control systems engineering.

I have been and still am a big Buffy and Angel fan. Hence my handle, baafan (Buffy and Angel Fan -- not a sheep fan LOL -- hence my avatar!) I got into posting at Cinescape on the original (now defunct) Raven's Realm board.

And I have been enjoying this forum quite abit.

--- Baafan / Willie

Last edited by baafan; December 15th, 2003 at 08:36 PM..
baafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2003, 08:30 PM   #11
SAR Pilot
Bad Email Address

Default New Guys United

Hello all! I have been onboard since this afternoon! Welcome aboard Beeker.
I guess since we're doing intros, here goes: I am a fan of the original series since it first aired in 1978. I spent many an afternoon drawing Vipers and the Galactica in those early days, and reading the companion comic books. I am not a die hard traditionalist, but I must admit when I first heard of the changes planned I felt a twinge in my heart for the old. But like so many other works, it has been remade and reimaged while retaining the same spirit and ideals of the original.
I really enjoyed the mini, especially the little touches which were added to give characters more depth and realism, plus the greater military feel of the ship and crew of the Galactica. I really do hope the mini becomes a series so that we all can explore the many openings which have been left in the plot.
SAR Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2003, 08:32 PM   #12
callsignfalcon
Warrior

Default guess i will too

As i've said in other threads im a newer fan... I'm a junior in high school who watched it on a 'preview' channel that was previewing Sc-fi in the mid 90's.... I liked it and while watching Sg1 and farscape last year I saw the promo for bsg03 and though it looked interesting... and after re watching some older eps and now the mini im hooked!
callsignfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2003, 08:35 PM   #13
SAR Pilot
Bad Email Address

Default If we're going to get personal. . .

. . . Baafan you raised the bar a little!
I am a helicopter pilot in the Navy, married with two very young children. I recently returned from a 3 year tour in Japan, and am now living near Reno, NV as a Search and Rescue Pilot for the Navy.
Old December 15th, 2003, 08:46 PM   #14
ViperAce
Bad Email Address

Welcome to all the newcomers ... from a newcomer to CF myself ... kinda funny ... i took a few days off from CF/BSG ... needed a fix (actually caught the replay last night too ... and a few classic episodesfrom the DVD) and there's brand new names with more posts than me ... lol ... I thought I talked alot!!! geez ...
ViperAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2003, 08:48 PM   #15
baafan
Shuttle Pilot

Default Re: If we're going to get personal. . .

Quote:
Originally posted by SAR Pilot
. . . Baafan you raised the bar a little!
I am a helicopter pilot in the Navy, married with two very young children. I recently returned from a 3 year tour in Japan, and am now living near Reno, NV as a Search and Rescue Pilot for the Navy.
Hello SAR Pilot.

Being a Search and Rescue Pilot sounds exciting! And with all due respect to the other military branches, I've always been a very big fan of the Navy. And judging from your post elsewhere about the Yamato, you must be abit of a WW2 naval buff. Back in the mid-80's, I got the opportunity to go aboard the USS Missouri when it was in SF. Since the ship was still in service, we could only walk around the deck. I did get to see the "plaque" that was put on the deck to commerate where McArthur accepted the Japanese surrender.

2 kids. That's great. Before you know it, they'll be teenagers asking for the keys to the car!

Anyways, it's great to know you SAR Pilot!

--- Baafan

PS: And hello also to callsignfalcon!
Old December 15th, 2003, 08:51 PM   #16
baafan
Shuttle Pilot

And hello to ViperAce as well.

So you got the BSG DVDs. That's great. Question, does the DVD have the original premiere as it aired in '78?
Old December 15th, 2003, 08:57 PM   #17
SAR Pilot
Bad Email Address

Thanks Baafan.

Bite your tongue! It is still years off before my kids start asking for the keys! I am still trying to deal with the terrible 3s and diapers!
I am a WWII buff to a degree. . . I had a chance to fly around Iwo Jima a few times and it is much smaller in real life than it looks in old film reels. There are still some old Landing Dock Ships rusting in the shallow waters off of one of the beaches. I haven't had a chance to actually go aboard the Missouri, but now that she is in Hawaii I'd really like to go.
Old December 15th, 2003, 09:13 PM   #18
beeker
Bad Email Address

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Since others are adding personal info, I'll add some of mine. My military days are long gone (it actually depresses me to think that I would almost be retired if I had stayed in). I was an Army EOD tech (I like things that go boom). My degree is in history with an primary interest in the Civil War (if I ever get a Masters it will be in that area of study). I don't have any kids so I don't have to worry about the keys.
beeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2003, 09:21 PM   #19
baafan
Shuttle Pilot

Hi SAR Pilot:

Well, before VCRs, BSG, even before Star Trek, I was a big time WW2 history buff. And WW2 warships have always been my favorite things to read about (serious nerd here -- I have Jane's Fighting Ships of WW2 and one called Warships of the Japanese Imperial Navy) and when I get the chance, to go see (I've been aboard the USS Lexington, USS Yorktown and USS Texas and the captured U-boat in Chicago).

Terrible 3's and diapers. Sheesh, you definitely have your hands full.
Old December 15th, 2003, 09:27 PM   #20
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Welcome everyone and a special welcome to the Cincinnatian in the group *waves* I'm just up the road from you now but I've lived in Clifton, Mt. Airy and Oakely in the past; sooooo East side or west side? (I'm not a native Cincinnatian so there are no wrong answers, btw).

Jewels

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 01:12 AM   #21
sdwebguy

I too am new to this forum and appreciate the division that has been made.
While I loved TOS, I also enjoyed the mini and would like to see it continue as
a series. Tidings from the shores of the Pacific Ocean!
Old December 16th, 2003, 04:48 PM   #22
SAR Pilot
Bad Email Address

Default San Diego?

sdwebguy,

What part? I just moved from there three weeks ago. I lived in Rancho Penasquitos while I was going through training to transition to a new aircraft.