Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old March 12th, 2006, 01:04 PM   #1
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Default Remembering perspectives that made it so special

I threw in Living Legend last night and noticed something that typified the attitudes in the original series that struck me so strongly as an teen. Perspectives that aren't as easy to find in a society that never really recovered from the "me-generation" of the '80s. In one scene Apollo tries to comfort Adama about the euphoric, hero worship that Commander Cain instantly arroused upon the Pegasus joining the fleet. Adama's response wise, focused, selfless, and so at ease with his own place in the colonials struggle for survival.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmdr. Adama
"We are not in a contest of popularity. We're in the midst of a life and
death struggle for survival. We need heroes, men and women that our people look up to. We need people like him [Cain]."
Adama only said it, not posted it here
As time goes on, I still find things of value in Galactica that define it as something that needs to be passed on for the next generation to hear. Things that must be communicated to those coming next, to our kids. Much like the unspoken portion of the message in the Spiderman movies is "With great power comes great responsibility [to use the power for good]" The attitude of Adama, the leader of a civilization, in understanding he's not the end-all, be-all, egotist too often we've seen exhibited in many business and polictical leaders of our day.

The original has so many small value statements in it like this. The attitude of never giving up. That faith is something to cling to in the darkest of times. That together even the bleakest of odds can be beat and the strongest opprossor defeated. To never surrender hope that tommorrow could be, even will be, better than today. All perspectives that give it a timeless quality, making it a testament to how humans over the ages have reached for the best parts of themselves to survive and to help their fellow man.

When I look at movies that have been really sucessful of late, I often see a thematic thread that is positive, that resonates within us as something we want our otherwise disconnected lives to share. With power comes responsibility (Spiderman), Friendship and loyalty are stronger than evil (LotR), Acceptance of those who are different, or differently gifted (X-men). Even when I look at some of the TV series and movies many of us like: Firefly and Serenity constantly spoke of the bonds and loyalties of friendships. Batman Returns stood against the evil of pure vengance not softened with the wisdom of mercy.

We, just as much as the survivors of the rag-tag fleet, still need our heroes. As BG approaches it's 28th anniversary of airing it still has a relevant core story to continue sharing. (Note: if we counted from when live film production started the anniversary passed about a week ago).

Jewels

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 01:13 PM   #2
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Ah, you've done it again Julie.

I couldn't agree more. It's weird, the older I get the more Commander Adama I quote.
Old March 12th, 2006, 01:23 PM   #3
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Great thing to bring up, jewels. Great indeed
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 01:31 PM   #4
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmdr. Adama
"We are not in a contest of popularity. We're in the midst of a life and
death struggle for survival. We need heroes, men and women that our people look up to. We need people like him [Cain]."
Apply that today in the era of terrosism...

Who do you look to for inspiration to rise above the muck of the day?
Old March 12th, 2006, 01:39 PM   #5
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

Indeed Jewels thank you
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 02:03 PM   #6
jewels

Colonial Fleets

I'd kinda run out of things to say for a long time, but popping that DVD in really reminded me.

I also love Cassie standing up to all the warriors and insisting they take a medtech with them--her.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

Old March 12th, 2006, 02:45 PM   #7
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Battlestar Galactica 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels
I also love Cassie standing up to all the warriors and insisting they take a medtech with them--her.
..and here I thought you were gonna mention a diff ep (the one I recently re-watched! ) and point out her standing up to the Warriors and telling them to circulate the air! (recall which ep and scene that was? )
Old March 12th, 2006, 03:35 PM   #8
jewels

Colonial Fleets

It was a great line....but i can't name the episode at the moment. hmmmm. hint please.

Old March 12th, 2006, 05:12 PM   #9
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior
..and here I thought you were gonna mention a diff ep (the one I recently re-watched! ) and point out her standing up to the Warriors and telling them to circulate the air! (recall which ep and scene that was? )
I don't remember the ep, but I think it was the one where Apollo was stranded on Equellus. Starbuck and Boomer had Boxey join them in a game of Pyramid. Starbuck had a fumarillo lit up of course. Cassie was having a fit that they were smoking and drinking (it was only fruit juice) around Boxey.

I hope that helps a bit, I'm a bit rusty - I haven't watched that ep in nearly a yahren.

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 06:07 PM   #10
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

The Lost Warrior

Now there's an idea for a thread...

Quote a cool line from an ep, and everyone has to guess the ep. First to get it right posts the next quote. Anyone game for that?
Old March 12th, 2006, 06:25 PM   #11
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

I've also been rewatching the original series ... first time in a few years.

I've been a bit surprised at how rough the episodes are and at the heavy "family hour" whitewash a lot of them seem to have.

They're still a lot of fun and I greatly prefer them to the "dark and gritty" spin that so many shows seem to require to seem valid these days.

If the original series is revived, I wouldn't want it the whitewashed presentation of the late 70s. I would want it to have the positive theme that made the original Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica things I enjoyed so much. I don't feel some need to wallow in our darker side, whether that darker side be real or just the creation of someone's particular agenda.

Sandy
Old March 13th, 2006, 01:26 PM   #12
jewels

Colonial Fleets

i'd agree that it doesn't need to be whitewashed so much as back then. but heroes can be clear cut and still be interesting, even today.

jewels

Old March 14th, 2006, 02:26 AM   #13
Lara
Squadron Leader

What was culturally appropriate for the late 70's isn't appropriate nearly a third of a century later, but the ask is to NOT throw baby out with the bathwater!
TOS told a great story, that was anchored in traditional values. That is still appropriate today, it is only some of the expressions of that telling that need to be tweaked.

Timeless tales grow in their retelling, becasue every retelling adds to the complexity of the tale. BSG already had great roots, and a lot of room for growth..

Cheers,
Lara
Old March 15th, 2006, 06:16 AM   #14
JLHurley
Warrior

Well said, Jewels; you've nailed down one of the major things I love about TOS.