Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old March 24th, 2003, 09:56 PM   #1
jjrakman

Default New Petition, New Angle

The following is a new petition directed at Mr.Richard Hatch, to ask him in kind and respectful words to release the trailer for Battlestar Galactica: The Second Coming on his website. It may be the only weapon left that can save the series.

https://www.petitiononline.com/Laurana/petition.html
Old March 24th, 2003, 09:57 PM   #2
jjrakman

Default New Petition, New Angle

The following is a new petition directed at Mr.Richard Hatch, to ask him in kind and respectful words to release the trailer for Battlestar Galactica: The Second Coming on his website. It may be the only weapon left that can save the series.

https://www.petitiononline.com/Laurana/petition.html
Old March 24th, 2003, 10:06 PM   #3
KJ
Strike Leader

See the petition and sci-fi channel Bboard for my responce to the petition JJrakman?

KJ
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2003, 11:53 PM   #4
michaelfaries
Great Honored Warrior (ret.)
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFather of BG websites
BattlestarGalactica.com(ret)
BattlestarPegasus.com(ret)

Richard, as before with Ojai's petition, appreciates the gesture. He may not be able to do anything right now, but that shouldn't stop people from sharing their opinions/feelings on the matter.

Michael
:colwar:
michaelfaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2003, 12:17 AM   #5
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFormer Assistant
Richard Hatch

Right, it is a good gesture, though I'm sure the fan's sentiments on this one are pretty well known by now. I'd like to see it available myself.

As far as a petition, I reccomend you direct it to the actual rights holders of the property. They have the say as to the uses of the Battlestar Galactica names and images, derivatives, and distribution, not Richard.
Micheleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2003, 05:24 AM   #6
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

JJ-
Ojai started one already a while back. Link is on Nathan's Colonial Newsletter.
Jewels
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2003, 08:18 AM   #7
KJ
Strike Leader

More is better isn't it? I though getting Richard to agree by petition was the goal Jewels. Both Ojai and JJrakman should be supported, i don't think eiither petition would suffer because there is more than one now!

Long as the end result is gaining Richard Hatch's attention for this request of his "Second Coming" trailer.
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2003, 08:22 AM   #8
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Default My Humble Opinion

Not that I'm the spokesman for Richard but from talking with him I beleive its in his heart to release the trailer but he is confined by certain legal constraints. Petitioning him to do what he would already like to do probably isn't going to change the situation.

Just my opinion though.

Two-Brain
TwoBrainedCylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2003, 09:47 AM   #9
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
Richard Hatch

Hi, Sandy!

That's exactly what I've been saying. It isn't really up to Richard, from a legal pov.
Old March 25th, 2003, 11:32 AM   #10
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Micheleh
I reccomend you direct it to the actual rights holders of the property. They have the say as to the uses of the Battlestar Galactica names and images, derivatives, and distribution, not Richard.
Here is a whole page of shortfilms that fit the same criteria.
https://theforce.net/theater/shortfilms/index.shtml
I dont see why the second coming trailer cant just be called a Fan Film and relased just as easily.

One or two of the projects on TheForce.net even has some of the bit actors reprising there roles from the Star Wars films.

I knew that I could never again raise my voice against the violence of the oppressed in the ghettos without having first spoken clearly to the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today -- my own government....
~ Dr. Martin Luther King ~

I can hear God saying to America: “You are too arrogant! If you don't change your ways, I will rise up and break the backbone of your power!"
~ Dr. Martin Luther King ~
Hito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2003, 11:47 AM   #11
jjrakman

Default I agree that to me it seems more of a

big budget fan film since he is not acquiring income from it's production. On another note, what are the copyrigh infringement implication differences between the trailer from which Mr. Hatch receives no income, and the novels he has wrote which I am sure he does receive income. Any copyright lawyers out there?
Old March 25th, 2003, 11:48 AM   #12
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Default Richard Isn't Dealing with George

Because George Lucas supports fan films. TPTB specifically came after Richard Hatch for what he did. That's the difference.

Two-Brain
Old March 25th, 2003, 11:49 AM   #13
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
Richard Hatch

I've merged that two threads into one.

Hito- usage factors of the rights of a property are variable, and are always determined by the copyright holder. Any usage of copyrighted works must be permitted by the holder, and anything not specifically permitted is specifically denied. If the holders of the BSG copyrights forbid any profiting from their work by any others than themselves, then public performance is illegal without permission.
Old March 25th, 2003, 11:50 AM   #14
jjrakman

Default That makes sense,

but why didn't they some after him for writing the novels, from which he clearly is making a living?
Old March 25th, 2003, 11:52 AM   #15
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
Richard Hatch

Because the rights were specifically negotiated for the novelizations. Permissions were obtained.

(Can you tell I've worked for several lawyers?)
Old March 25th, 2003, 11:53 AM   #16
Fingers
Bad Email Address

Default hmmmm

He probably could have done at one stage (i.e. at the beginning) but if he signed legal documents i.e. entered into legal agreements - however much the moral argument favors Hatch he is on very, very shaky ground legally surely?

he has also publically acknowledged he doesn't own the property (at a con) so that could be called into evidence. (By the way - that was something that raised my esteem of the man an incredible amount- that was something very *big* to do.) .

Realistically, I think there is nothing legally Richard Hatch can do about the problem at the moment - yes he could release it on the net but what what would it gain? It'd (probably) gain him a law suit, further muddy the name of Galactica and posion any studio's mind against the fandom and Hatch for ever and ever...

I'm afraid we're going to be doomed to seeing it at cons... and sigh guess who won't be making it in all probablity over to LA...

Fingers
Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2003, 11:56 AM   #17
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
Richard Hatch

"On another note, what are the copyrigh infringement implication differences between the trailer from which Mr. Hatch receives no income, and the novels he has wrote which I am sure he does receive income."

On teh note of the trailer itself, to the best of my knowledge, specific and stringent rights were agreed to to allow the trailer to be created as a work of non-profiting fan appreciation, generally speaking.
Old March 25th, 2003, 11:58 AM   #18
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
Richard Hatch

"I'm afraid we're going to be doomed to seeing it at cons... and sigh guess who won't be making it in all probablity over to LA... "

It is possible for the rights holders to at a future date agree to the release of the trailer over the net- but they will have to be the ones to grant that right.
Old March 25th, 2003, 12:00 PM   #19
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
Richard Hatch

Note that I say 'the rights holders', because at this point, that could well be a fill-in-the-blank designation.
Old March 25th, 2003, 12:46 PM   #20
Erzengel

I could've sworn that the second coming trailer was made as a production trailer to be shwon to the studio to get a series made... :confused:
Old March 25th, 2003, 01:37 PM   #21
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
Richard Hatch

...right, I was just pointing out the "don't- make- money off- of- it" part.
Old March 25th, 2003, 03:52 PM   #22
jjrakman

Default Thanks for your input Micheleh

I think I finally understand. Also,I agree that my petition should be abandoned for Ojai's

https://www.petitiononline.com/RH2002/

Didn't mean to step on any toes here. Just trying to wrack my brain to come up with new actions that could be taken to save this mess. I hate sitting around and doing nothing.
Old March 25th, 2003, 03:55 PM   #23
jjrakman

Default One more question though

"On teh note of the trailer itself, to the best of my knowledge, specific and stringent rights were agreed to to allow the trailer to be created as a work of non-profiting fan appreciation, generally speaking."

So who is the entity that granted him the rights to do this. Surely they did so with certain expectations in mind. Where are they in all of this?
Old March 25th, 2003, 04:42 PM   #24
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
Richard Hatch

Um, the people who own the rights? I'm applying my knowledge and a certain amount of information to the situation. Anyone who has been to the cons has heard Richard's speech on "Don't take pictures, don't film, we were only given liscence to do this provided no one uses it for profit, yada yada...." Not an exact quote, just a best recollection.

When I worked at Renderosity I was up to my nose in rights issues, especially pertaining to multimedia, so I've studied the subject a bit. I can see patterns in how people speak and act on this which is pretty indiciative of the state of affairs, inside information or no.

Last edited by Micheleh; March 25th, 2003 at 04:45 PM..
Old March 25th, 2003, 05:21 PM   #25
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Default Coolness

You worked at Renderosity???

Two-Brain
Old March 25th, 2003, 07:11 PM   #26
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
Richard Hatch

Yeah, I modded the new C&D when it opened (oh, the stories!!!), plus fractals, printing and mag interact for awhile, and I was the CD manager for the mag for issues 2 and 3. (The ones with the goodies.)

C&D= Off Topic's predecessor. Ironbear and I helped bring it back when they killed it. I was a serious warrior, there, lol.

I'll never forget the time I tactfully expressed a complaint with Steve Cooper's number 2 by saying "Are you on drugs?!?"

Last edited by Micheleh; March 25th, 2003 at 07:15 PM..
Old March 25th, 2003, 07:38 PM   #27
michaelfaries
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

Default Re: That makes sense,

Quote:
Originally posted by jjrakman
but why didn't they some after him for writing the novels, from which he clearly is making a living?
Because Byron Preiss (of iBooks) acquired the "Battlestar Galactica" book publishing rights from Universal directly. That began with "Battlestar Galactica - Armageddon." Mr. Preiss's company is the only licensee of official BG book publishing at present, to my knowledge.

(Worth noting: The book licensing is different from the comic book licensing.)

Btw, I wouldn't say Richard is making a living from those books. No offense to the writing profession: It doesn't generate much $$. It's a labor of love for most, imho... Richard included.

Michael
:colwar:
Old March 25th, 2003, 08:12 PM   #28
jjrakman

Default Interesting...

So the book company, in this case Byron Press, can hire anyone they want to pen a tome?
Old March 25th, 2003, 08:14 PM   #29
jjrakman

Default Have they ever considered

Hiring other stars such as Bojay to say, pen the ongoing adventures of the Battlestar Pegasus,etc?
Old March 25th, 2003, 08:19 PM   #30
michaelfaries
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

Default for Michelle

Moderating Renderosity garners a good amount of respect and resolve, esp. since artists do have their opinions. And aren't afraid to share them. What a daunting task to manage/moderate.

I believe your absence on the Renderosity magazine CD bundle organizing is felt. I didn't renew my subscription.

Michael
"Trinary" on Renderosity -- not a bboard/discussion area participant, though.