Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old August 15th, 2009, 10:21 PM   #451
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Default Re: Battlestar Galactica to the Big Screen?

Agreed. I'm excited about this movie either way, but it would definitely be a crime if Tom were not involved. Given their working relationship in the past I'm surprised his name isn't all over this.

Can anyone get in contact with him and ask him about his involvement? We want you on board Tom!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
-Albert Einstein
monolith21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2009, 10:30 PM   #452
tracyb144

Why is it that I'm not too overly excited about this news?
Perhaps it's the fact Hatch stated on his FaceBook page earlier tonight that this new BSG will be another reminaging of sorts. Sigh.
Old August 15th, 2009, 10:32 PM   #453
dilbertman
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by monolith21 View Post
Agreed. I'm excited about this movie either way, but it would definitely be a crime if Tom were not involved. Given their working relationship in the past I'm surprised his name isn't all over this.

Can anyone get in contact with him and ask him about his involvement? We want you on board Tom!
I have emailed Tom, just waiting to hear back from him.

Jim
dilbertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2009, 10:32 PM   #454
tracyb144

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelfaries View Post
I'll second that. Great idea!

Btw, I've noticed a lot of anti-gay statements on AICN... and now it's "creep"ing over here. Who cares if Bryan is homosexual? Who cares if we see additional derriere shots in a movie? Solid storytelling and filmmaking rules the day. "Valkyrie" did deliver.

Michael

P.S. Hey KJ!!
"Valkyrie"...solid movie. Cruise as Von Stauffenberg..not so much.

*Waves to Michael*
Old August 15th, 2009, 11:04 PM   #455
Aussie Warrior
Warrior

It's amazing what happens when one goes away for a week, so much to read about

It is going to be an interesting time for Galactica fans, will these new developments satisfy original fans? will it satisfy fans of the RDM version? will this upcoming BSG movie be like the movie "The Punisher" a remake of a remake? or will all this just be only talked about and nothing done deals.

Hopefully all will be revealed soon and to fan agreement
Old August 15th, 2009, 11:08 PM   #456
KJ
Strike Leader

I don't expect it to be 100% faithful.

I expect it to be an updated of the original version, with possible ties to the series version. But we're realistically talking about a multi-million dollar movie being done for Battlestar Galactica today, lets be 100% equally fair, 'ALOT WOULD CHANGE THOUGH' to make it work.

Beyond dogfights, a quest (searching for Earth of course), Cool sci-fi gizmos, The Cylons, The characters and the story etc. Plenty of underlying themes woul have to be incorperated into the new version to make it work on many levels not just us who are fans who asked and demanded its return, but plenty of elements and character stuff to entertain newbies and a new core of possible new generation fans to BSG as well.

Funny ain't it....

A while ago (a few years back) i asked the question what would a 'New' modern updated Galactica have for a movie incarnation in terms of Action, SFX, Stunts, Budget, A-list cast and music. Long before any story was conceived, just a raw example of stuff we all take for granted when viewing a motion picture!

But all love to brag about when we all leave the cinemas etc. The action scenes, love scenes, great stunt work etc.

Hmmm, remember a certain someone (member) shouting me down saying, there's 'NO' point to my post seeing as no movie would exist without the story? And yet movies are blatantly conceived with these things in mind, long before the writers and screenplay is ever written giving form to the ideas and concepts of the action set pieces!

So why are certain people's all stumped when there's talk of a possible BSG movie in the pipeline now???

I've always said i've never taken my membership on here for granted and i've always tried to be imaginative with my posts!

Guess, what goes around comes around huh!

The new film depending on what it'll be in terms of continuation/re-imagining combo. Will obviously need to be heavily done up and customised in order to make the movie work for today's fickle audiences.

If it were me i'd like to see.

* The same actual TV series BSG model shot for the ship in the movie. Using today's digital film cameras/IMAX cameras for continuty sakes.

And thats if its filmable/feasible (30 plus years old isn't it)

* Some sly nods to the original TV series in terms of costumes, dialogue, events (Battles of Molocay, Kobol, Arcta, Gamoray), Count iblis (name dropping should do enough if he's not in the first movie) Adama's belongings (Book Of The Word) Medallion (fleeting footage of Lorne Greene) etc, old Vipers/Raiders, props from the classic series.

But not in every frame, only in smart wisely choosen shots etc. If filmed in the hey you BSG fans remember all this stuff the film will be "pants" nuff said!

* Somethings mentioned in the original series expanded on. Like the Cylon homeworld (Named 'Cylon' In LPOTG), [add your own minor list here]

* And cover aspects that have changed in the gap between the series cancellation and the new movie. But not in a cheesy way, 'drop a line of dialogue' and never bring up again kinda way!

Beyond all that the film would have to be much broader in scope and draw in a crowd of not just us fans, but new concepts as well that are VERY fresh and something to be debated on and even improved upon for the possible sequels that could follow on, from the first Galactica live-action motion picture big budget movie. So that new fans will have opinions on how the first film went, but would like to see the sequels, no with questions asked seeing how the first one, was a knockout!!!

Thats just how it all works.

And you know i've got tons of ideas for DeSanto/Singer if they want'em. But even then I KNOW, it doesn't happen like that either.

They do it, then on general release day of the film, i go pay my ticket and see how they''ve done it!

When more news comes in about all this BSG movie news. Then i'll resurrect my 'What would you like to see in terms of actions/sequences, SFX and including: "storylines" etc in a big budgeted BSG Movie thread!

KJ
Old August 15th, 2009, 11:17 PM   #457
KJ
Strike Leader

If you've E-mailed Tom Dilbertman, can you also E-mail him about me?

Ask him what he thinks of old KJ if he reads CF alot! I'd like to know. Been supporting him for years. When is he visiting the U.K. for any conventions, premieres or film studio business etc.

KJ
Old August 15th, 2009, 11:20 PM   #458
monolith21
Squadron Leader

The two fandoms will more than likely never agree. This film will probably draw both crowd though which is good.

Until Bryan Singer, Glen Larson or Tom DeSanto comes out and says this is a reimagining I'm not worrying. Even then, its a broad term and if anything I think the studio would use it just to cause the controversy it brought back in the early days of Gino.

Besides...the script isn't written yet they say. Maybe we need to let 'em know what we're hoping for. Before people start rolling their eyes I simply mean now isn't the time to sit back and be silent. I know a lot of us are tired of arguing (rightfully so) but it can't hurt to show our support for this project and be equally vocal with our hopes for a continuation.

I

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old August 15th, 2009, 11:27 PM   #459
KJ
Strike Leader

CFF it is then Monolith21.

No petitioning, no voting, no nothing.

BSG 21st century big budgeted movie = CONTINUATION

(with necessary changes where possible, but continuation!)

Nice big ass poster, Glen Larson, Bryan Singer, Tom DeSanto drinking a toast to the official announcment!

KJ

P.S.

RD Moore seen crying in corner, Eick about to jump out into the street of traffic etc! hey, they animate those kinda things on NBSG anyways, it'll be a laugh. *wink*
Old August 15th, 2009, 11:28 PM   #460
monolith21
Squadron Leader

OH and I definitely think no matter which way this goes we'll see quite a bit of the original series in this production.

A few years ago at Comic Con during a panel for Superman returns, a fan asked Bryan if he intended to keep the uniforms in his update of Logan's Run. He said absolutely, something are iconic...the music, the look of the uniforms, the themes. He's very respectful of the source material.

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old August 15th, 2009, 11:30 PM   #461
monolith21
Squadron Leader

I'm with ya KJ!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old August 15th, 2009, 11:31 PM   #462
KJ
Strike Leader

Yup!

Naysayers can bitch and whine about SR all they want to. But it has John Williams' Superman theme music from Donner's two Superman films!

Nuff said!

KJ
Old August 16th, 2009, 01:12 AM   #463
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

And all that did was call attention to how in that instance Singer made a movie that couldn't compare to those earlier versions.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 02:36 AM   #464
ernie90125
Also Present

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

I'm in two minds about this.

I like the Transformers remake films.

I don't like the Battlestar remake series.

Here we are being told about another remake. Another Battlestar remake. Hmmmm....
ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 02:48 AM   #465
KJ
Strike Leader

So what.

It was a given following Christopher Reeve's portrayal of Superman in the eariler films, was an almost impossible task. Point is Monolith21 was on about respect for the sci-fi genre and source materials of somebody's fictional work, that Singer has. Same can't be said of other directors or TV show producers can it?

Singer's SR wasn't better than Donner's "S" movies, TRUE!

But then again, Brett Ratner's turn at doing the X-Men films (X-Men 3) also pales in comparison to Singer's two X-Men films. The Wolverine spin off, i won't even bother going into.

Here's another point.

Technically on record, whether you like a particular film or not, if its earned its money back "IT'S NOT A FLOP". For a film to fail on all levels it has to cost ALOT of money, and not earn the budget it took to make it in the first place! And yet to many SR was so bad, many want yet another reboot Superman movie? ARE YOU ***king kidding me, another frikking reboot movie. What, after all the hell Superman went through in the 90's in development hell, nearly wearing a black suit with blades on it, Polar Bears at his Fortress Of Solitude, Giant Spiders etc etc etc.

SR ain't perfect by a long shot, but Singer's SR got a hell of alot right with it on the flipside, compared to what it was actually going to turn out to be, with Burton, JJ (i'm not always right) Abrams and McG nearly taking the helm of the director's chair on the Warner Brothers film lot.

Warners messed up SR 50% as much as Singer made some bad editing choices (Cutting the expensive; 'The Return To Krypton' sequence). And possibly not ending the film on a *must resolve/must see the sequel* style cliffhanger (Brainiac should've been referenced somewhat as the next film's villain) was Singer's huge mistake. Warners should've greenlit the sequel two years ago. Cos when a superhero feature doesn't have a sequel within 4 to 5 years tops, any expensive follow up is worthless and pointless. And i'm talking superhero films, not R-Rated action films like Alien, Terminator or the Matrix. They follow slightly different rules and can bend the superhero ones altogether.

And earning ones budget back for a film but no major profit ontop, may not mean success in the grandest sense of things its true.

But you can't tell me flops and lesser/crappier films in the past 10 years compared to SR, haven't yielded several sequels despite poor box office returns though, can you?

Think about that one!

KJ
Old August 16th, 2009, 05:37 AM   #466
Damocles
Bad Email Address

The Last Person

Default Re: Just Announced: NEW BATTLESTAR GALACTICA theatrical film!

Show me the MONEY.
Damocles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 06:00 AM   #467
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
Show me the MONEY.
Apparently showing $10 million to Singer was enough to get him on board.

You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 06:15 AM   #468
Benedict
Warrior

I'd like to see Messrs Benedict & Hatch in it somewhere. I imagine Hatch wouldn't mind doing it despite being involved in the other thing. It's annoying though...the Star Trek forum I am on has a strong nBSG element (Despite there being an option for BSG78 fans) and all I hear is "campathon" and Hollywood are morons to go back to something that "wasn't successful". Even if I'm the only one round my parts...I'll still see it.
Galactica-era fan fic: Battlestar Pacifica #2 Saga of a Battlestar

"We thought the opposite of war, was peace. But we found the opposite of war was slavery."
Benedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 06:47 AM   #469
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedict View Post
I'd like to see Messrs Benedict & Hatch in it somewhere. I imagine Hatch wouldn't mind doing it despite being involved in the other thing. It's annoying though...the Star Trek forum I am on has a strong nBSG element (Despite there being an option for BSG78 fans) and all I hear is "campathon" and Hollywood are morons to go back to something that "wasn't successful". Even if I'm the only one round my parts...I'll still see it.
Not too worry, Benedict. There will always be naysayers.

It will be interesting, though, to view their comments AFTER the movie has been released. What forum was that?

You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 06:52 AM   #470
Benedict
Warrior

Dare I mention it...The Omega Sector.

I try to fly the flag valiantly but I come off a whingey

This has been an idea -the movie- for a while so in a way it's nothing new. I'll stop there before I rant about the nBSG. Ha
Galactica-era fan fic: Battlestar Pacifica #2 Saga of a Battlestar

"We thought the opposite of war, was peace. But we found the opposite of war was slavery."
Benedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 07:52 AM   #471
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

https://www.colonialfleets.com/forums...ad.php?t=16686
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 08:04 AM   #472
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie90125 View Post
I'm in two minds about this.

I like the Transformers remake films.

I don't like the Battlestar remake series.

Here we are being told about another remake. Another Battlestar remake. Hmmmm....

Ernie they litterly have no choice. Using the source material as it was intended is what i'm looking for. If they remake it using the same ships, themes and premis i'm all for it. You have to remember even though some of the actor's are still alive there are core elements missing from the original series. Lorne Greene for one plus John Colicos. If you have to recast those elements i'm all for starting over and seeing what happens.

Remake or not if it follow's what Galactica was original built on i'll be there in the front row.

And i didn't think Singer's Superman was all that bad.
Old August 16th, 2009, 08:36 AM   #473
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

although loosing Lorne Greene is a big loss to a continuation, We had a conversation about Replacing John Calicos on another board. What we came up with is using his Son Nicolas Calicos And either make and CGHI effects to age him, or have TYhe Cylons being experimenting on him and turning hiom into a cyborg. Same basic character, Same essential look to him, and a respectful recasting.

Classic fan, and die hard!
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 10:25 AM   #474
Creep
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
That being said, he is indeed very talented and I've never seen his films to be works that were characterized in any way as have just been described by Creep.

Bryan
It's not just by Creep, even Kevin Smith said the only way you can look at 'X-Men' movies is by grasping that 'X-Men' represent gay people in society. Even that gay actor in 'X-Men', Alan Cumming, said that he took the role after Singer told him that those characters represent those outcasted [gay] people. People are also saying that Singer made Superman look gay - look a this if you don't believe me https://www.dailyramblings.com/ramblings/877.php
Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 10:44 AM   #475
jjrakman

Kevin Smith has always been a douche bag.
Old August 16th, 2009, 11:06 AM   #476
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titon View Post
Ernie they litterly have no choice. Using the source material as it was intended is what i'm looking for. If they remake it using the same ships, themes and premis i'm all for it. You have to remember even though some of the actor's are still alive there are core elements missing from the original series. Lorne Greene for one plus John Colicos. If you have to recast those elements i'm all for starting over and seeing what happens.

Remake or not if it follow's what Galactica was original built on i'll be there in the front row.

And i didn't think Singer's Superman was all that bad.
And here we are back to an idea from long ago....a new younger cast but with some of the older cast too. Commander Apollo and Col. Starbuck, leading a new batch of Warriors was suggested around the time of TNS. Baltar could be played by a Cyborg with the same voice, or a new villian.

When TNS was first announced it received a hostile response from many, this idea seems to be both ignoring a Continuation whilst also slapping Ron Moore in a face by doing another remake right after he finished his.

Sorry, I'm wanting a Continuation, not another remake. Like TNS, I'll give it a chance, I may love it, but my heart has sank since hearing this isn't a TOS Continuation from a previous supporter of TOS.

But at least Hollywood respects BSG as a viable property nowadays...
ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 11:32 AM   #477
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie90125 View Post
And here we are back to an idea from long ago....a new younger cast but with some of the older cast too. Commander Apollo and Col. Starbuck, leading a new batch of Warriors was suggested around the time of TNS. Baltar could be played by a Cyborg with the same voice, or a new villian.

When TNS was first announced it received a hostile response from many, this idea seems to be both ignoring a Continuation whilst also slapping Ron Moore in a face by doing another remake right after he finished his.

Sorry, I'm wanting a Continuation, not another remake. Like TNS, I'll give it a chance, I may love it, but my heart has sank since hearing this isn't a TOS Continuation from a previous supporter of TOS.

But at least Hollywood respects BSG as a viable property nowadays...
Well to be honest if anyone got slapped it was us. Worrying about Ron Moore and what he might think is the last thing i'd worry about being a fan of The original concept. Ron pretty much wiped the floor with the TOS premis.

It all depends on how this all comes together. If it goes to a thearetical release it would be hard to do a continuation. Not impossible but difficult. Need to be able to grab old and new fan's.

But it all depends on how it's delivered.
Old August 16th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #478
monolith21
Squadron Leader

I just remembered that Singer likes to work with David Hayter...this thing would be amazing if he penned the script!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old August 16th, 2009, 06:00 PM   #479
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titon View Post
Well to be honest if anyone got slapped it was us. Worrying about Ron Moore and what he might think is the last thing i'd worry about being a fan of The original concept. Ron pretty much wiped the floor with the TOS premis.

It all depends on how this all comes together. If it goes to a thearetical release it would be hard to do a continuation. Not impossible but difficult. Need to be able to grab old and new fan's.

But it all depends on how it's delivered.
I'm for big ship deserves big screen. Been that way since, oh, the summer of '79. I don't mind a reboot. I do think that, like Trek, much of the ship and costume design can hark back to the original without looking 'old'. I think that's actually easier with Dorleac's and McQuarrie's designs than with Trek's polyester tunics.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 06:11 PM   #480
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Definitely! If they can bring the look of TOS Trek back and make it work then Galactica will be way easier!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein