Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old December 28th, 2003, 01:48 PM   #1
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Lightbulb Retro is Nitro

A little ways back I posted a musing about how one can remain successful by retaining the primary elements of an object or property that made it successful to begin with, and help new buyers/viewers to form a warm familiar association with the new product. One of the examples I gave was Ford's ubiquitous Mustang.

Flipping channels today, I spied Ford's new 2005 concept car for what will be its 40th (+1) anniversary for its Mustang line. I was amazed. Styled almost disconcertingly like a 1967 model, yet while retaining such familiar elements it carefully updates them for a fresh look, bound to capture the eyes and hearts of those who remember the glory days. It is by far the most accurate retro look yet!

Here are some pics (click on "Coupe Concept" when you get there):
http://www.05mustang.com/

I mention this because here are people that truly understand what makes buyers buy - enticing us with something that is fresh and new yet surprisingly old and familiar. These engineers did not start over and remake the object, saving only the name; they simply brought the past startlingly into the present.

These are the kind of people that we need to bring back BSG. People that understand what made their product great and never abandoned it. May our New Year's wish be to find such folk involved dearly with our beloved show, on to a smash success on the silver screen.

For us baby boomers, retro is truly nitro!

Last edited by Muffit; December 28th, 2003 at 04:25 PM..
Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2003, 02:41 PM   #2
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

P.S.

On the contrary side, one can also see what happens when you abandon what made your product/movie great, or simply fail to realize what elements were crucial to carry the endearment forward.

The arch nemesis to the Mustang was the Camaro/Firebird. I actually liked it better, although I never had one (in 1975, a '67 Mustang was $500, while a '67 Camaro was $1000+, so I opted for the cheaper one). It had a cult following as well. But GM kept drastically altering it. I believe it was 1970 when they re-released it as a wide, squat ugly thing (I don't know my car years very well, but you more knowledgeable fans could help me out here). It looked great as a Trans Am with all the extra plastic, but was hideous without it. I can't think of any original features of the '67 that were truly carried forward. And from year to year, the unidentifiable changes kept happening. Sadly, it has now passed into automotive history, and I believe the reason is its engineers failed to spot and maintain those elements that made it familiar and appealing.

A truly successful vehicle, like its movie counterpart, should identify, retain and capture what made it great and well loved, while cleverly updating it for today, if it is to win the hearts of those who treasure within those hearts, the moment of their first love.

Old December 28th, 2003, 04:19 PM   #3
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

O Muffit, what a nice drive down Memory Lane! When I saw those pics, my first thought was OMG, they're bringing back the Fastback!

If I could add a little, a long time ago, during the NFL playoffs, then-Coach Chuck Noll of the Pittsburgh Steelers was asked about his game plan for the playoffs. His response: "you dance with who brung ya". In other words, you don't change what made you successful. All the Steelers did after that was win 4 Super Bowls in 6 years!

It's a shame that lessons like that are lost on some folks. They would do well to pay attention to those who have been successful.

BST
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2003, 04:24 PM   #4
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Thanks BST! That's a great example you gave.

At least we know there are some folks out there who understand the concept - and hopefully Mr. Larson and Mr. DeSanto will be the ones to demonstrate how well it really works!

Old December 28th, 2003, 05:08 PM   #5
larocque6689
Warrior

Default A counterpoint

Shiro Nakamuru of Nissan Motor Company, on the new Z car:

Quote:
It's intimidating to redesign a legend... we walked away from the retro approach.
http://taipeitimes.com/News/biz/arch...3/04/27/203721

Quote:
Jazz is innovation, creating advanced music; classical is more established. It's the same in cars. How do you balance the two things? You must find the best path between the classicalness and the newness.
The Z Car is still a "Z", just not an old Z.

Nissan was near bankruptcy only a few years ago, it merged with French automaker Renault, which has re-invented the company and brought it back to profitability under Carlos Ghosn. The entire Nissan fleet was overhauled, and this is being reflected in terms of the sales figures and the models that they introduced.

One of the first to get a face-lift was the midsize Nissan Altima. Bob Lutz of General Motors described the orignal Altima as one of the most boring saloons of the market. He loves the new design including the jewel-like rear headlights. Other head-turners include the Infiniti G35, and the Murano.

Newness for the sake "new" is not a good thing. But in my opinion, "retro" is not a step forward. Witness the demise of the Ford Thunderbird - for a recent example of "retro" failure. Classic design need not look backward. Good design combined with quality build ensures the public will buy your cars. This is a lesson Nissan has learned.

Last edited by larocque6689; December 28th, 2003 at 05:23 PM..
larocque6689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2003, 05:48 PM   #6
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Hi Laroque! Thanks for replying! It's interesting you mention the Z. I think they lost their market when they changed the design to that chubby flattened one. Since then they have been trying to find themselves again. But you are right, retro is not a guarantee for everything - sometimes people tire of a given shape and style. It all depends on how avid the fanbase is and how deep seated the love for a given set of original elements is.

I think Nissan was trying to reproduce the clamor that the Jaguar XKE instilled in people, with the long front end and hatch back, in the original 240Z. (I always thought they were remarkably similar). When Jaguar departed successfully from that design with the eye-catching XJS, I think Nissan noticed and tried to follow suit. (Besides, the later Z was getting too big to be cute anymore using its original styling).

It's funny you mention Japanese carmakers - Toyota actually tried to copy the basic styling of the Mustang with its Celica series some time back (if you put both the coupe and fastbacks side by side there was a striking similarity - I forget the year though). And it worked! I don't think people consciously made the connection, but certainly subliminally it was a success.

Thank you for your insights. It's okay to disagree, certainly there are exceptions to every rule, and I welcome your comments!

Cheers,
Old December 28th, 2003, 06:15 PM   #7
larocque6689
Warrior

The Celica is a Mustang-clone. I passed by one on the road and mistook it for the original!

I still can't tell many versions of the Honda Accords from the Toyota Camry. These are strictly functional cars with quality build and bland styling that suit most buyers. There's something about the Camry's rear end that reminds me of a bloated fish on wheels though. All the same, they've sold enough of them that the Toyota Camry can be considered as American as the F-150 and the Mustang.

My beloved Altima is actually a design that took the rear-end of an Audi A4 and married it with the front end of a Passat (and not nearly as pricy as either). The Saturn Ion is another smaller Altima-clone. I'm kind of fond of the look of the Cadillac CTS, it has a similar look. Hyundai's Sonata (not the nicest car to look at) took a few cues from the Mercedes Benz, and their Santa Fe has a very "American" look for an import.

Old December 28th, 2003, 06:32 PM   #8
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Hi again Laroque! Yeah, I have always thought that Japan used look-alikes as an inroad to the American market, which is really a good idea if you think about it. Our styles and likes are bound to be totally foreign, so it makes good sense to break into a market using something established and well-liked.

I loved the very first Altima's styling. It was very appealing.

I really can't say I'm enchanted with any car style nowadays though, they all seem so bland (except, of course, for those that are many decimal places too out of reach anyway ). Of course, I wouldn't turn down a day in a 308 Ferrari... (Oh yeah, that's old too!)