Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old September 1st, 2012, 09:08 AM   #1
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Default Starship Smackdown

From the latest issue of Geek Monthly.

Once again, they get the length of the G wrong and the write up for it is badly researched.

Old September 1st, 2012, 05:34 PM   #2
Punisher454
Warrior Ace

Default Re: Starship Smackdown

Well it looks like theyre getting closer though. I believe I've seen it listed as being in the 2000' range as well as 2 miles.
It should be a little longer than that star destroyer.
Old September 1st, 2012, 10:41 PM   #3
CBSG4ever
Warrior Ace

Location: In My Battlestar over San Diego waiting for everyone else...

Yes, badly researched.
One thing did catch my eye though. In the write-up it mentions that a Galactica kit will be available in 2013 by Moebius Models!
I'm just wondering if a) this is true and b) if so, how accurate will it be?
Gotta look into this. Looks like I have a little research project to do...

Steve

"You're gonna need a bigger boat..." Chief Brody - Jaws
"Kind of a bummer gettin' your butt kicked by a dead guy" - Col. T.C. McQueen, S:AaB-(Ray Butts)
"A kind word and a 2-by-4 is better than just a kind word" - Marcus Cole, Babylon 5
"WIVES...uh...aren't we getting a little ahead of ourselves?" Starbuck - Living Legend
"Every creature in the Universe is out to exterminate us and YOU want to hire a vocal group." Boomer - Saga of a Starworld
CBSG4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2012, 12:13 AM   #4
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBSG4ever View Post
One thing did catch my eye though. In the write-up it mentions that a Galactica kit will be available in 2013 by Moebius Models!
I'm just wondering if a) this is true and b) if so, how accurate will it be?
Gotta look into this. Looks like I have a little research project to do...
http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums...ad.php?t=18289
Old September 2nd, 2012, 06:49 AM   #5
137th Gebirg
Warrior

Curious - I can't seem to zoom in on this pics. They don't seem to expand up to a more readable version. What am I doing wrong?
Old September 2nd, 2012, 07:29 AM   #6
CBSG4ever
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by 137th Gebirg View Post
Curious - I can't seem to zoom in on this pics. They don't seem to expand up to a more readable version. What am I doing wrong?
Hey there Jim!
I had the same issue with the pics, as displayed. I gave it a whirl and tried another method. I downloaded the pics to my computer. Then I was able to zoom in and out using the Windows Picture Viewer on my system (there are probably other viewers that work too). It isn't HD quality but it is readable. Hope this helps you.

Hello Peter,
Thank you for the link. I haven't been around Fleets (dropped in occasionally) for quite a while. Been uber-busy with RL. This post just happen to catch my attention. Thank you again. cheers

Steve

"Kind of a bummer gettin' your butt kicked by a dead guy" - Col. T.C. McQueen, S:AaB-(Ray Butts)
"A kind word and a 2-by-4 is better than just a kind word" - Marcus Cole, Babylon 5
"WIVES...uh...aren't we getting a little ahead of ourselves?" Starbuck - Living Legend
"Every creature in the Universe is out to exterminate us and YOU want to hire a vocal group." Boomer - Saga of a Starworld
Old September 2nd, 2012, 07:44 AM   #7
137th Gebirg
Warrior

Got it! Thanks very much...
Old September 2nd, 2012, 08:01 AM   #8
CBSG4ever
Warrior Ace

Glad I could help out.

Steve

Old September 2nd, 2012, 08:47 AM   #9
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

I must ask though....where is official documentation specifying exactly how big the original Galactica is? There's official dimensions for the new Galactica, but none that I am aware of for the original.

There's official documentation for Star Trek and Star Wars ships as well....but, sometimes they screw up their own data.

In Star Trek, they have a K'vort Class battlecruiser (the largest model of Bird of Prey) listed as being larger than a Negh'Var class attack cruiser.

And in Star Wars, some fanboys began to whine about the true size of Super Star Destroyer. At first, it was officially listed as being 8,000 meters in length. (This, I can buy.) But then it got changed to 12,500 meters.

Ah well. Back then, it was probably really difficult (even with big screen movies) to get scaling right. Hell, did you know that in the shooting of the opening scene of Star Wars, the model for the Tantive IV (Princess Leia's ship) was larger than the model for the Star Destroyer, Devastator?

Back to the big G, for my own fics and films, I run with a length of about 2km. That makes it slightly larger than an Imperial Star Destroyer, and when adding Vipers and launch bays to the mix, it seems to work out.
Old September 2nd, 2012, 09:56 AM   #10
137th Gebirg
Warrior

IIRC, Larson said at one point that the TOS G was one nautical mile, approximately 1.15 miles long. Way bigger than what this chart shows.