Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old November 2nd, 2009, 08:32 PM   #1
WarMachine
Warrior

Default Taking A Deep Breath...

Ok, I'm just throwing this out here, to see what people think. This isn't even at the level of a poll, yet -- more of a fishing expedition.

What are the community's thoughts on creating an "official extended fan universe"? Yes, I know that I'm talking about a lot of work for no cash, that can be overridden the instant when/if a new CBSG property is released that doesn't utterly offend all of us at once. We all speculate on "what if"...well, "what if" we simply came up with our own 'canon'?

What am I talking about?

For starters, keep it simple: "we", here. "officially" take VS 2 and 3 as "our official" 2nd and 3rd seasons, much as Cawley and Co. have with ST:New Voyages, then branch off, into "spin-off" series', discussing the fate of other Battlestars/Colonies? The "Second Coming" and the "14th Colony" were a good start, but we need to move forward.

Honestly, I'm not really sure how to phrase what I'm talking about, but I wanted to get this out there.....

*Flame-retardant suit on*
Old November 3rd, 2009, 07:52 AM   #2
LZaza
Warrior

Default Re: Taking A Deep Breath...

Wow, quite the proposal. Gonna need some "Boraton Breath" in this topic.

Off the top of my head, I'd wonder who would decide what stories became part of this "new canon"? I can see some unified creativity coming from this, but also some resentment from those whose works aren't included. In my experience, the danger is that a wonderful creative environment that encompasses BSG could be stifled, because alternative works aren't given the same consideration as those in this project. Also, the continuity factor would be HUGE! You'd need someone with a photographic memory who was overlooking all aspects of the project.

On the other hand, it's energizing to have a group project, but the leaders of a project like this would need to have the bureaucratic skills of Adama.
LZaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 08:07 PM   #3
WarMachine
Warrior

Granted the patience and skills, but I think that the fairest way to handle the voting-in process would be yea or nay poll votes for inclusion.

I think everyone can agree on VS 2/3. After that? There's Tice Leonard's "Red Squadron Stories"...and no, much as I want to, I'm not putting my own story up there - that would be tacky for me to do.....
Old November 3rd, 2009, 09:34 PM   #4
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

As one of the VS authors, I'm flattered by the suggestion but while I have from the start considered the VS the ultimate continuation project in being a group effort that allows things to move at a slow, gradual pace like a new series, as opposed to how one-shot stories generally try to to tie everything up more quickly, I also have to acknowledge the many fine creative efforts other authors have done over the years and note that their efforts, like mine, have always meant to stand alongside as a reflection of how the concept of Galactica lends itself to such rich storytelling in the context of the original series and characters.

That said there are certainly some elements of the VS that I would love to see become accepted as pseudo-canon for other authors to use such as background details on the characters that we've had to invent to try and create more seamless personalities for Our Heroes as they appear in other stories. If for instance there was a collective agreement on details of the backgrounds of Apollo, Starbuck etc. or things like Adama's parents and which ships did he serve on at what point, and when with Cain and when with Tigh later on, or the name of Sheba's mother, then it could enhance alternate stories set in alternate universes. But that would be the furthest I would want to go in trying to establish a broader "canon" for the series based on fanfic efforts.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 09:47 PM   #5
WarMachine
Warrior

Eric,

I think that's closer to what I'm aiming at: a kind of broad, generally agreed-upon set of standards and assumptions, possibly even up to a "firm-ish" timeline for various stories.....