Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old April 16th, 2009, 07:38 AM   #1
JSC1
Warrior

Default BSG-The Truth in my eyes

I posted this over at Tombs of Kobol. Essentially its a chronicle of the journey we have taken in regards to Battlestar the past couple of years.

A lot of this is based on memory and what I have heard, seen, and have come to believe. I'm not going out of my way to hurt anybody, but I'm also not going to pull any punches either.

I hope to get back to researching mythologies for my BSG fan fiction novel. I'm already looking into viking at the moment. Still have to go through the list.

So below, for your reding enjoyment, or lack thereof, Battlestar Galactica:The Truth in my eyes.

https://www.maximillian.org/Battlesta...yes[1].pdf
One day, I shall come back, yes I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs, and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.-William Hartnell, Doctor Who-The Dalek Invasion of Earth
JSC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 02:38 PM   #2
LordStarFyre
Warrior

Default Re: BSG-The Truth in my eyes

Thank you for posting this.

I'm glad some remember, and haven't forgotten.
LordStarFyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 06:22 AM   #3
JLHurley
Warrior

Even in the face of the human race's extinction, there was so much HOPE in the original Battlestar Galactica. Love that about the series to this day. Love the character interaction, too. There was anger, there was jealousy, there was pettiness--all those horrible human emotions--but father and son respected and loved one another, and friends/allies respected, loved and at times forgave one another. Those are the type of people and relationships I have in my life (not to say it's been a perfect life by far) and I feel sorry for people who can't say the same and see life as revolving around backstabbers, liars, cheaters, "haters" and all around miserable people. I truly believe that you get in life what you look for, and I prefer to look for and concentrate on the best humanity has to offer and not the worst (which admittedly is no easy task at times). Dwell on the worst and that's exactly what you'll get.
Old April 17th, 2009, 08:39 AM   #4
KamikazeAthena
Warrior Ace

Wow! This tied a few loose ends together for me. Thanks.

www.myspace.com/kamikazeathena
www.bewitchingelegance.com
KamikazeAthena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 01:16 PM   #5
LordStarFyre
Warrior

Oh it was a time to behold Athena.

Like I said, I'm just glad that inspite of efforts to repaint it into the fault of the TOSers, there are those that remember the truth.

BTW, YOUR CAKES ARE INCREDIBLE!!!! Thank you for putting your link in your sig. You are quite the Artist!
Old April 17th, 2009, 02:45 PM   #6
Damocles
Bad Email Address

The Last Person

As one who suffered through writing eighty reviews about a fictional non-existent series' episodes, I found your own background information to be spot on, JSC1. It filled in a few gaps that I didn't know about.

Damocles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 07:06 PM   #7
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

John,

Overall, a very good essay. It brought back a lot of memories for me and, to be quite honest, I'll say bittersweet. The bitter part was the treatment by TPTB, the mainstream media, as well as the Clone wars with Ted and his fictitious army of clone handles. The sweet part, however, was that if not for the 'war', I would have never met this wonderful group of people. 2002-2003 was truly a defining moment in my life and, looking back, I wouldn't have changed a thing.

Now, as far as the future goes, with Galactica...... that may be something that we can influence.
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 11:35 PM   #8
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Bravo! Sums it all up rather nicely.

Some great memories and some bad ones for sure. All in all I can't help but wonder if going through the ringer together hasn't made this fan base a lot tighter than most. Even when we disagree on how things could or should be done...we're there for each other. We've got each others back. In my case I can say that literally. I had a fellow fan offer support when a fan of that other show threatened violence.

Either which way..."that" happened and we're all still here. I'm glad to move forward!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
-Albert Einstein
monolith21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 03:27 AM   #9
LordStarFyre
Warrior

I had forgotten just how really cutting all that was. There was a lot going on at the time, not all of it related to the battles with RDM and his shills, Milty and his army of clones, and seeing something I've been attached to, one way or another for, at that point, nearly 25 years, being bastardized by people who couldn't have cared less about the material.

There was my divorce, and all the "joys" that brought, and struggling to make sense of it, and trying to maintain a relationship with my 2 little girls.

The economy went south, and took along with it, much of the work in my field for a time.

It was like a cascade of stinging defeats, one after another.

A few people have asked where I went. The easy answer is hibernation. Of course, the real answer is a tad more complicated. I threw myself into my work, and went back into Theatre. Playing Bob Cratchit in A Christmas Carol every year for the last 5 was a great way for me to break out of feeling down. I spent most of my childhood in that Theatre, and being back there was like going home. Hehehe AND I went from having 2 kids to 6 every year. A girl that has played my daughter for all 5 is going off to college soon, I feel like her surrogate Father.

Ask me sometime about "Tubby Tim" (hehehehe My Shoulder will NEVER be the same)

All that helped me to squelch it down, and helped me get my footing back.

Since reading JSC1's essay, the last couple of days have been awash with memories about it all. Good, Bad, and Otherwise.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I was surprised at just how much anger was still there.

But strangely to, I'm reminded by it that what brought me back to it was a rumour. God knows as a fan community we've gone through more than our share of baseless rumours, but for whatever reason, this one felt different. I guess for me, it was Hope. Something that, at least in regards to BSG, felt like it had been rendered in very short supply

But whatever the outcome to that rumour, I'm not ready to give up just yet! I'm not ready to knuckle under to the Ted/Milty GINO types. I'm not ready to settle for the last chapter for BSG to be written by the likes of Ron Moore!

I'm happy to see people getting invigorated again. I'm hearing about more and more TOS related projects going on, and I'm involved in something myself as well.

Someone I respect told me that we can't undue what happened. And he is right. All we can do is move forward, and if we get a good bit of luck, the least we can expect is a stronger fan community for the TOS, and if we're really lucky, well, you get the idea....

My Birth Father has said "You can't get the sh*t back in the horse, but it doesn't mean you can't hop on and ride the damned thing again after it's done"

Well Damn it, I'm ready for another ride!
Old April 18th, 2009, 06:40 AM   #10
JLHurley
Warrior

My Birth Father has said "You can't get the sh*t back in the horse, but it doesn't mean you can't hop on and ride the damned thing again after it's done"

Hilarious!