Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old December 18th, 2002, 01:13 PM   #1
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Default OT: Strikeforce: Morituri Coming to the Sci-Fi Channel

From Superherohype.com:

"According to Variety, the Sci Fi Channel, along with Universal Television Group sibling Reveille, has pacted with Marvel Studios to translate the comic book "Strikeforce: Morituri" into a live-action drama series. The show, which will be called A Thousand Days, is likely to debut as a series on Sci Fi in 2003. The project is one of two small-screen adaptations on which Marvel, Sci Fi and Reveille are looking to collaborate.
The comic, which debuted in the mid-1980s and is not currently being published, will be reintroduced for the series' launch on the network, says the trade. The new comic will track the characters as they've been developed for the series.
Scribes Matt Holloway and Art Marcum are on board to write A Thousand Days, which is set in the 21st century and follows a group of super-soldiers engineered to fight contemporary evil; they die 1,000 days after joining the force.
The soldiers in the comic "Strikeforce" were a special group of people assembled to fight an invasion from outer space. The characters in the series will battle Earthling bad guys."

Strikeforce Morituri is considered a classic series. It's an expensive thing to take on for Sci-Fi but Marvel Comics' character are hot at the moment.

Peter
Old December 18th, 2002, 02:06 PM   #2
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

I have just about all of those comics somewhere.

Basically earth was attacked by a more powerful enemy from space. They were basically raiders who came to pillage our planet. And our military were unable to stop them.

Then a doctor developed a way of infusing alot of energy into a human. They would become stronger, faster. And they would also develop a unique comicbookish "superpower".

The one drawback, the morituri energy was basically incompatible with the human body, lethal infact. It was unstable too. So you never knew when you were going to die a horrible death. You just knew that no one lived longer than a year. And that the rejectin of the energy was undetectable until it was occuring and at that point you have a few seconds left to live.

It was a pretty dark comic.
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2002, 02:09 PM   #3
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Default We who are about to die...

This could be a really good project for sci fi given it's habbit of frequent change.

Strikeforce Morituri is about a group of men and women given super powers through a process that becomes fatle in 12 months.
They can roll new characters in ant out of the series like employees at Mc Donalds...

Quote:
The Morituri Process was discovered by Doctor Kimmo Tuolema. It involved implanting a whole separate metabolism into the host's body. Unfortunately the host eventually rejects the metabolism - but with the Morituri implant having burnt out the host's original metabolism, this rejection is always fatal. Often this rejection is catastrophic as the host's body melts or explodes. The projected life span of the process, an thus the host, is no longer than twelve months. This burnout is entirely unpredictable and could take lace any time between the completion of the implantation and the end of the projected life span.

In return for this fatal price, the host becomes stronger and tougher and gains powers only dreamed of. Energy projection and redirection, and telepathy are very common. Just as the life span of the metabolism is unpredictable, the abilities received by any one individual is also unpredictable.

Hito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2002, 02:17 PM   #4
The Blue Mule
Warrior

oMG, Oh MY God! I cant believe that I just read this, I have those comics, they are horrendous. Hollywood is back on Coke, or something worse. I hope they all die out and finally people with ORIGINAL Ideas are allowed to flourish.

Absolutley Pathetic.

What is UP???? GOD,........Im speechless.

RIch
Soon to craw up a hole and disappear.
Old December 18th, 2002, 02:19 PM   #5
KJ
Strike Leader

i too have this comic book series fellas so anytime you want to talk about it let me know. Nice to see sci-fi is doing something comic based but, with TV's recent cancellations of Superhero type shows "The TICK", "BIRDS OF PREY" we live in a fickle world of pleasing the audience or be cancelled. Hope the series last longer than any of the members of Strike Force Morituri do.

KJ
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2002, 02:35 PM   #6
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Guess human meanies are more budget friendly
Old December 18th, 2002, 03:23 PM   #7
KJ
Strike Leader

Hito with your avatar would you prefer a Green Lantern series instead? I take it you like Green Lantern right. If so, which one? Hal Jordan, Kyle Raynar, John Stewart, Guy Gardner!

KJ

Old December 18th, 2002, 03:47 PM   #8
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

I'd love to see a Green Lantern movie.
With Bruce Campbell as Hal Jordan and/or Vin Desel as John Stewart
In a series tho i'd love to see a bulked up Dennis Hayesbert as John Stewart

I hated that they turned Hal into a villan but I had to admit that he was a serious badass as one.
I droped out of the comics game around the time of emerald twilight so i havent kept up on Kyle Regularly I loved his costume but like him at first but from what i have picked up reading at the news stand he has gotten ok.
Old December 18th, 2002, 04:26 PM   #9
michaelfaries
Great Honored Warrior (ret.)
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFather of BG websites
BattlestarGalactica.com(ret)
BattlestarPegasus.com(ret)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by The Blue Mule
oMG, Oh MY God! I cant believe that I just read this, I have those comics, they are horrendous. Hollywood is back on Coke, or something worse. I hope they all die out and finally people with ORIGINAL Ideas are allowed to flourish.
Man, I disagree wholeheartedly. The original run with Peter B. Gillis (writer) and Brent Anderson (artist) were some of the best original comic books produced in it's day (1986). The later issues, done by writer James Hudnall (who went on to write television), TRASHED the comic books beyond recognition.

I loved (LOVED) the Gillis/Anderson issues. You wondered who lived, who died... and how they could possibly defeat the alien Horde.

We're all entitled to what we like/dislike, though.

Michael
Black Watch!
michaelfaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2002, 04:27 PM   #10
michaelfaries
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by Warrior
Did I read that right?

In th ecomic, they battle alien pillagers, but in the series they'll be fighting Earth bad guys?

...uhhh Sounds like a... *drum roll* RE-MAKE!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Michael
Old December 18th, 2002, 04:41 PM   #11
michaelfaries
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

SCI-FI Channel: The death knell for potentially excellent science fiction programming.

AAAUGHHHHH!!!!!

Michael
Old December 18th, 2002, 04:42 PM   #12
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

anyone remember any favorites from those issues?

I definetly remember Marathon. And there was a cool character who was a girl whose hands could exude acid.

btw- it wasn't their powers that made them interesting. They had some really cool storylines.
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2002, 04:46 PM   #13
michaelfaries
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

Marathon was my favorite, particularly with his act in issue #12. (He always reminded me of Peter Rasputin/Colossus.) Frankly, it was hard to dislike any of the characters.

Gillis always did a brilliant job of throwing curves when you least expected them. I actually have a set of those issues put aside for my son when/if he chooses to explore comic books at a much older age.

Michael
Old December 18th, 2002, 04:51 PM   #14
KJ
Strike Leader

Not to worry Hito next year is getting very green indeed, can you say HULK!!! funny though Marvel once famed for poor adaptations is getting it right since 1998's Blade and have had nothing but their character coming out by the bucket load now. With Mutant X for TV by Avid Arad now Morituri! Marvel gone into the stratosphere while DC sit on their ass thinking Batman and Superman will revive their fortunes.

DC big reminder, you have tons of Superheroes START USING THEM NOW! Green Lantern would be excellent to do being CGI could make the SFX shine and the character has proven in "Justice League" he is a well rounded person and has depth (John Stewart anyway) DC need to get back there FAST Marvel still have Fantastic four and Ghost Rider in development somewhere and not to mention Marvel has Three movies based on their popular characters two orginals and one sequel Daredevil, Hulk, and X-men 2

DC get your Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Flash, Green Lantern Corps, Suicide Squad, Shazam, New Gods and JSA comic book adaptations out there now! Before Marvel swipes you aside for good? Hell use some Wildstorm characters too you need them as well just produce something soon. You got lucky with Smallville and Birds of Prey is gone already do something now before you realise like the rest of us old Bats and Supes ain't enough DC? Well done to Marvel after many years you finally got it right.

KJ

Old December 18th, 2002, 05:13 PM   #15
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

I remember when DC was the only came in town when it came to Movies.
Superman & Batman were big time.

That was when marvel was in movie hell with the Rodger Corman productions of Captain America & The fantastic four.
Not to mention the deplorable Dr. Strange.

The strength DC still has (and correct me if i am wrong) that it can exploit is that they (through WB)still controll there entire stable of characters.
So it might be possible to have all there movies take place within the same continuity.

Where marvels characters are controlled by diffrent studios.
So the Daredevil will exist seperatly from Spider-Man and Blade or The X men.
Meaning that there would be no way to have say the KingPen make an appearance in a Spider-man sequal, or no Wolverine in a DD sequal
Old December 18th, 2002, 05:51 PM   #16
KJ
Strike Leader

Wow certainly is good to chat non-BG stuff for a change, we got alot of comic book lover here!!! Warrior you are correct it was out a week back or so i believe. It's bout time too, Captain Marvel should be done just to see how he would be measure up to the others heroes.

Wouldn't mind seeing Marvelman (A.K.A. Miracleman) done too. Let not forget Harry Potter's Chris Columbus still wants to do Fantastic Four! Hellboy is around the corner, Punisher is in the rumors mill every now and then "Iron Fist" to be done by Ray Park "Star Wars Episode One" (met the man got the autograph heh) as the hero of the series. Conan back and being talked about (don't know if Marvel still own the rights) Since the Marvel films are well received, they have sequels greenlighted while still making money with the first one?

Have to admit i love the Blade movies and can't wait for Black Panther movie to be done also. Although Wesley Snipes shouldn't do both roles, let someone else do it Wes! Let alone 80's comics and cartoons making a huge comeback they might also get the live action update as well!

Hollywood huh, they get the fantasy movie franchises working properly what about getting the TV ones to work too. (A.K.A. Galactica TPTB)

KJ

Keep'em coming fellas
Old December 18th, 2002, 06:39 PM   #17
KJ
Strike Leader

Two question to be asked one, Warrior is their anymore Shazam Captain Marvel news come out? Two does anyone think the Matrix counts as a Superhero type/Cyber fantasy adventure series? I read somewhere the Wachowski Brothers wanted to introduce superhero style action and adventure in a sci-fi contempary setting which is also deep and indepth with tons of subplots, questions and layered with enough elements to be a world, within a world that still contains strong sci-fi concepts but it's so multilayed it translate into many things!

Basically does Matrix count as a sci-fi fantasy as well as a superhero action, rip roaring adventure dress up as something else. Or is it classed as something else all together?

KJ
Old December 19th, 2002, 01:02 PM   #18
vmnjn
Bad Email Address

Default Oh man...

I remember those comics, vaguely. For some reason the scene I remember is when they were pillaging Hollywood?

A dark series, and not badly done.

Oh yeah, that had the issue about decapitated heads piloting robots.

Well I just hope they don't mess it up. That would be awfully hard on the actors though wouldn't it? Why make the extra effort to portray the character when you won't be around next season?
vmnjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2002, 03:33 PM   #19
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

New Line are developing Shazam.

Strikeforce Morituri, or a 1000 Days as it will be called is another example of Sci-Fi bringing things down to Earth, as the alien invasion plot has been completely exorcised.

For all you comic fans out there, Marvel Comics is rumoured to be going to be bought soon by Sony. This will lead to the end of their old universe in some sort of 'Crisis on Infinite Earths' story and their present Ultimate universe expanding with reimnaginations of their characters.

That means no more The Mighty Avengers for me!

Peter
Old December 22nd, 2002, 07:03 PM   #20
KJ
Strike Leader

Seems every big film company got a franchise that makes them Dollars $$$! Warners with both Matrix and the Harry Potter franchises. New Line Cinema with The Lord of The Rings and Blade movies. Paramount Pictures with Star Trek, Mission impossible. Fox with Star Wars, The Alien movies. Columbia with Men in Black.

Getting the right company to launch any franchise and see it grow and develop counts it seems!

KJ