Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old March 3rd, 2004, 10:03 AM   #1
Count Iblis
Shuttle Pilot

Default Such Potential/Lost Opportunity

I just re-watched the new mini-series yet again (7th) time. I guess I keep hoping that like some music I have listened to that I startes out disliking the first few times that it would eventually grow on me to the point I would eventually love it.

Hasn't happened yet.....Trying to keep an open mind as there were a few things about the new series I liked, I couldn't help but think to my self (Hitting my forehead..like in the V8 Commercial) Wow! We could have had a Merge!

The new mini has such great imaginative power behind it, and with the new sets, updated and modernized effects it would have bee so easy to "Bridge" TOS ideas and characters with new designs and ideas. It's sad in a way that such a great opportunity to combine ideas and fans was missed. I know there are some TOS fans that also like the new mini-sereis for various reasons, but most I have talked with didn't. The more I think about this, the "Moore" I realize, we all could have had our cake and ate it too.

What a "FAN-TASTIC" approach this could have been, instead of what we got. I'm still debating in my mind if I'm going to watch the mini or not. The Sci-Fi fan in me says yes, while the "Battlestar Galactica" tradition says not.
Count Iblis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2004, 11:21 AM   #2
Boomer65
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
The more I think about this, the "Moore" I realize, we all could have had our cake and ate it too.
I wonder. Someone on another board talked about DeSanto’s idea (i.e. Apollo as a Cylon). The first response from one hardcore TOS fan amounted to, “That’s as bad as the mini.” I’d be curious to see how the camps are split between wanting the Hatch version and the DeSanto version. My first guess would be that “any version would be better than the RDM version” but that might not be true.

Let’s face it – you aren’t going to please everyone. It just ain’t gonna happen. Never. Ever. Your best bet would be to please as many as possible.
Boomer65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2004, 12:31 PM   #3
nccdee
Warrior

7 times???? You watched it 7 time???? The only time I would watch any of my favorite shows more than twice is over a course of several years, usually in syndication. If Sci-Fi Channel has more people like you, added with new fans, then RM Galactica will be the greatest sci-fi series in their entire history.

Funny how many people have said they would never watch the mini, but then had to admit they did watch. I suspect they will do the same thing when the series starts, refuse to watch it but out of curiosity will switch the channel to watch parts of it (if not all).

A friend of mine loves Law-type shows but she could not stand watching the Pratice. Well, last fall she switch to the Practice and asked me "what's this". I told her that some of the cast has been replaced. Now she loves the show, especially James Spader character.

Count Iblis, did you ever watch the Babylon 5 movie? Notice the changes made in the series. The doctor and the XO was replace and the tone and even the style (not so much but still noticeable). Then in the second season, they did it again. The sets were brighter, the story more tense and so on. I for one believe B5 really got started with the 2nd season.

I think we are going to see a dramatic change in the new series. The location will be different, the attack it over, they are on the run. Their attitude will evolve. The emotion will be high (others will be in denial and walk around believing if they just do their jobs everything will be alright).

I have said this many times over and I will say it again. RM mini got me interested, now he has to earn my viewership by producing entertaining episodes. I consider myself a big Star Trek fan but I will not support Enterprise. It is not entertaining me, so I have moved on. If its cancelled, it will not be missed by me.

As for a show growing on you. I know the feeling. I never like Sinfield or Everyone Body Love Raymond. But now, for some reason, I get it and its funny. So I have been catching up watching the rerun.

Ok, time to stop rambling.

nccdee
nccdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2004, 01:38 PM   #4
Sci-Fi
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by nccdee
Count Iblis, did you ever watch the Babylon 5 movie? Notice the changes made in the series. The doctor and the XO was replace and the tone and even the style (not so much but still noticeable). Then in the second season, they did it again. The sets were brighter, the story more tense and so on. I for one believe B5 really got started with the 2nd season.
Read the B5 episode backstories as told by JMS at:
http://www.oinc.net/B5/Enc/
And you may be surprised about the arcs that were slated for the characters. Just FYI: Michael O'Hare wanted to continue his stage career after the 1st B5 season and return to the N.Y. area. It would have been interesting to see what the original story arcs lines would have been like if that character continued. Nothing against Bruce Boxleitner or the John Sheridan character, it all worked well in the end. At the time, it was a shock to many B5 fans to see a lead change in the 2nd season and it took awhile before the fans warmed up to Sheridan. Too bad the Laurel Takashima character didn't make it into the series. JMS provides some insight about his proposed plans for her.
Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2004, 02:11 PM   #5
nccdee
Warrior

Sci-Fi, the same thing happen with Earth: Final Conflict when the lead character (Boone) left the show after the first season.

nccdee
nccdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2004, 02:33 PM   #6
Sci-Fi
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by nccdee
Sci-Fi, the same thing happen with Earth: Final Conflict when the lead character (Boone) left the show after the first season.

nccdee
True, I liked Boone too, but Liam Kincaid was also a very interesting character to follow. Just like Mission:Impossible, people always remember Jim Phelps, but forget the 1st season's star Steven Hill, who played Daniel Briggs, and that was an excellent character, played in the T.H.E. Cat (Thomas Hewitt Edward Cat played by Robert Loggia) cool 50's mode.
Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2004, 04:24 PM   #7
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Iblis
I just re-watched the new mini-series yet again (7th) time. I guess I keep hoping that like some music I have listened to that I startes out disliking the first few times that it would eventually grow on me to the point I would eventually love it.

Hasn't happened yet.....Trying to keep an open mind as there were a few things about the new series I liked, I couldn't help but think to my self (Hitting my forehead..like in the V8 Commercial) Wow! We could have had a Merge!

The new mini has such great imaginative power behind it, and with the new sets, updated and modernized effects it would have bee so easy to "Bridge" TOS ideas and characters with new designs and ideas. It's sad in a way that such a great opportunity to combine ideas and fans was missed. I know there are some TOS fans that also like the new mini-sereis for various reasons, but most I have talked with didn't. The more I think about this, the "Moore" I realize, we all could have had our cake and ate it too.

What a "FAN-TASTIC" approach this could have been, instead of what we got. I'm still debating in my mind if I'm going to watch the mini or not. The Sci-Fi fan in me says yes, while the "Battlestar Galactica" tradition says not.
That's what Kingfish said in one of his posts too. I agree that if they took
the wanton sex and violance out ............and had let's say set this in the future
with the decendents of the original characters ..............it might have worked.

Unfortunately that wasn't the angle that RDM was after.
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2004, 04:26 PM   #8
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer65
I wonder. Someone on another board talked about DeSanto’s idea (i.e. Apollo as a Cylon). The first response from one hardcore TOS fan amounted to, “That’s as bad as the mini.” I’d be curious to see how the camps are split between wanting the Hatch version and the DeSanto version. My first guess would be that “any version would be better than the RDM version” but that might not be true.

Let’s face it – you aren’t going to please everyone. It just ain’t gonna happen. Never. Ever. Your best bet would be to please as many as possible.
actually although I wouldn't be overly happy with Hatch as a cylon ..............
with Jane Seymour saying she'd be willing to reprise her role as Serina and
come back as a 'creature of light' on the ship of lights ............that scenerio
could actually work.

Hatch is a good actor with a great range of characters ......... so it would
be interesting to see.

Also Desanto's version was still true to the TOS universe .........as compared
to the MINI.
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote