Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > ART Work - In Progress
Notices

Old November 21st, 2005, 11:00 PM   #1
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Battlestar Galactica 1978 New Galactica Recruitment Art

Okay, in the thread I started earlier about the upcoming models to be cast and made available, I did'nt notice that I had photographed my masters on top of new art that will be placed up on the auction block on e-bay. It will be under the seller name of zombiebutt.... Don't ask.
But it generated a question or two, and I wanted to shoe the progress of it in it's own thread. Hope you all like the (cutsie) idea
And I'm throwing in my studio scale viper build-up, that is featuring added sharper details as well as halogen lit engines and pilot with helmet lights as well as proper and lit cockpit controls by using fiber optics. (he said "cockpit")

Old November 22nd, 2005, 09:21 AM   #2
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Nice!
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 09:30 AM   #3
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Thank You very much. Any comments on what you might like to see done with the girls and Battlestar realm of art? Please give thought to helping that idea. I'd really be greatful for inspiration.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 04:24 PM   #4
Fragmentary

Great lookin' art, man.
I wanna keep on eye on this thread to see how this pic progresses. It's off to a fantastic start.

When you finish the picture you should use it as nose art on one of your viper models
Fragmentary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 04:53 PM   #5
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

It'll be finished this night, and posted on e-bay by 9:30p.m. So glad that you like it. Will post another pick within' the hour.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 07:48 PM   #6
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

She's almost finished. I have myself under deadline and I intend on having this up on e-bay soon.
Old December 5th, 2005, 09:35 AM   #7
brunoco
Bad Email Address

Very nice artwork and style.
brunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2005, 10:29 AM   #8
WarriorChemist
Shuttle Pilot

Default Nice but still not finished...

It has taken a backseat to scratch modeling. Hopefully he will finish it soon!
Old December 6th, 2005, 12:58 AM   #9
Lara
Squadron Leader

Its Lt Styreen Fome's twin sister !!!

"""She slowly opened the closure of her jacket as she spoke and the pink protuberances of her breasts swelled out like twin dirigibles emerging from the same hanger. "Dive in.." she husked.
Parrts hands joined together and he swayed forward, ready to plunge into the pool of her passion.
"Fome, stop seducing the troops and get over here.." The Admirals voice cut like a buzz saw. The dirigibles retreated and the hanger door closed. The rotating rump receded and Parrts blinked and shook his head. """

(Jim Burns & Harry Harrison's illustrated book, Planet Story)

Cheers,
Lara
Old December 7th, 2005, 07:01 AM   #10
WarriorChemist
Shuttle Pilot

Big Grin Lara, I really like you!

Oh Lara, you are too funny! You nearly caused me to lose control of my bladder with that post!

Forgive my ignorance, but who is Lt. Styreen Fome? Sounds like a made-up name from chemicals/plastics! Did you make that up yourself? You aren't accusing this model of having some enhancement work, are you? They are real, I tell you! LMAO!

Yes, we kid, but Michael takes these things seriously! I used to kid him about a watercolor he had done of a model with her hands over her rather melonous breasts. He didn't always give a title to his paintings, so I named it, "Help! My breasts are exploding!" (He wasn't amused.) To me, it did appear that she was trying to hold them down. I think they were trying to take off on their own. Ha-ha! Everybody get out of the way!

By the way, what is Planet Story? I'm way behind on anything Sci Fi... Just now getting exposed to all the fun!

I look forward to getting to know you Lara... You're creative and fun!
Old December 8th, 2005, 03:40 AM   #11
Lara
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorChemist
Oh Lara, you are too funny! You nearly caused me to lose control of my bladder with that post!

Forgive my ignorance, but who is Lt. Styreen Fome?
Lt Fome is the creation of Harry Harrison, and the female lead in the novella "Planet Story"

Quote:
By the way, what is Planet Story? I'm way behind on anything Sci Fi... Just now getting exposed to all the fun!

I look forward to getting to know you Lara... You're creative and fun!
You are too kind, sir!! As for creative and fun..I can honestly say back atcha mate!!

Now here comes the history lesson.
The two key bits of info you are missing is Planet story is british, an dit was published in 1979.

Planet story is the illustrated novella I was quoting from. I'm not savvy enough with the computer to scane the full page pic of Lt Fome's delectable emerging dirigibles, but the paragraph I quoted is accurately illustrated!!

Jim Burns is a UK sci fi artist who does incedible things with mixed media and an airbrush. He's done tons of covers, illustrations, and this collaboration with Harry Harrison. If you like tongue in cheek humour, Jim draws and Harry writes the best (try entering Stainless Steel Rat , or Star Smashers of the Galaxy Rangers into google..or in a good bookshop. )
A good HH interview is at https://www.octocon.com/1997/hharriso.htm

The following is from Wikipedia.
Jim Burns is an artist born in Cardiff, South Wales in 1948. In 1966 he joined the Royal Air Force seemingly on a quest to become a pilot. Due to standards he was unable to meet he was, however, forced to leave the Air Force in search of another direction in life. He signed up at the Newport School of Art for a year's foundation course.

He was accepted and went on to complete a 3 year Diploma in Art and Design course at St. Martin's School of Art in London. When he left St Martins he had already been signed up by the recently established illustration agency, Young Artists (1972). He has been with this agency, later re-named 'Arena' ever since.

He is today a contemporary British Science Fiction illustrator. His works mostly deals with science fiction with erotic overtones.

Apart from book and game covers, Burns worked with Ridley Scott on Blade Runner. He has also had books of his own works published: Lightship, Planet Story (written by Harry Harrison), Mechanismo, Transluminal and many others.

Jim Burns has won the Hugo award for Best Professional Artist three times - the only non-American ever to have won it - and has also picked up 12 BSFA awards (The British Science Fiction Award).

This is a link to good interviews with him. I own a copy of the pictured book transluminal and I browse it often.
https://homepage.ntlworld.com/elizabe...y/jimburns.htm
https://www.sflink.net/events/artgallery/jim_burns.htm

Unfortunately Planet Story is hard to get. Because it is adult fiction, its not often in libraries.
I found a page with JBs prints for sale, which gives you a taste of his work
https://www.artistsuk.co.uk/acatalog/...RINTS_117.html

Here endeth the history lesson

Enjoy exploring JB and HHs work. You will be able to show Michael there are people who take pneumatic mammaries as seriously as he does..he just has to know the context in which to place them so he makes a living out of it
Calendars are good...and that would be a topical offering for BSG recruitment this time of the year, and can have pics of models as well as illustrations for the 12 months of the year...I'd hang a print out of one on my wall..you could even offer it in quarterly installments so people keep coming back

Cheers,
Lara
Old December 8th, 2005, 05:42 PM   #12
Fragmentary

Ooh! A conversation about Jim Burns, how cool. I'm a big fan of his work as well. I've always admired how it doesn't fall easily into a time period. You can look at almost any of his stuff from 30 years ago or one year ago and it's just as slick and futuristic.

I have to confess that I've never heard of Planet Story either, but I'm intrigued. The idea of Burns illustrating a story in addition to just doing the cover sounds pretty awesome.
Fragmentary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2005, 08:11 AM   #13
vip2021
Shuttle Pilot

I like to get a copy of the New Galactica Recruitment Art. What are measurements
vip2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2005, 08:39 AM   #14
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by vip2021
I like to get a copy of the New Galactica Recruitment Art. What are measurements
Hello Vip2021 !
We don't do prints as of yet, but will look into that as soon as we get caught up witht he Desanto Viper we are producing. The recruitment art are (one of a kinds) and will not be remade. The total price of the painting though when complete will be $285.00 and a very small price for an original and collectible work like this. The measurements of the piece is 15x24 I do believe. Thanks so much for your interest and you can p.m. me if you are interested in it's purchase.
Old April 26th, 2006, 03:42 AM   #15
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by vip2021
Hi there vip2021!
The measurments are 15x22". And i would've responded to you sooner, but my plate is full, actually overflowing!
And I am just now getting her finished to go up on e-bay tonight! And after the small details and lettering get polished she'll be placed up for bidding. I'm such a pimp!
Although, I really only sell originals, I'm going to offer ONLY 10 prints of this one to those that want it. $ 20.00 plus $9.99 for shipping and a gift portfolio c.d. with jpegs of the last 3 yrs of my works, including models and props.
And as she's being finally refined and completed, heres a pic.
Old April 26th, 2006, 11:31 AM   #16
jjrakman

Are you selling these?
Old April 26th, 2006, 02:29 PM   #17
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Hey Michael,

Just had a thought... you need to make a version of the poster where the female is straddling the laser cannon instead of just standing beside it.

-G
Old April 26th, 2006, 03:09 PM   #18
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrakman

Are you selling these?
The answer is yes. Sorry it took a while to get back. She will be appearing on auction tonight on ebay. Starting bid is $45.00 and to buy it now is $165.00. I've done this for a living for over 26yrs now.
Thanks for the inquiry JJ!
Old April 26th, 2006, 07:58 PM   #19
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Here's the link everyone!
https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE%3AIT&rd=1
Old April 27th, 2006, 07:54 AM   #20
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Hey M,

I thought he was referring to the Studio Scale Viper kit. Which you aren't selling, right?

-G

Oh yeah, which reminds me... you DID get a scan of that art, right?
Old April 27th, 2006, 11:19 AM   #21
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcglider
Hey M,

I thought he was referring to the Studio Scale Viper kit. Which you aren't selling, right?

-G

Oh yeah, which reminds me... you DID get a scan of that art, right?
If he was refering to the viper, I have got 3, 2 I'll keep, and 1 I am going to do a proper building of the instrument panels and hollow out the pilot well, then reconstruct the seat and re-make the pilot into a full figure. Then correct a few panel lines...detail her up with cockpit and engine lights and sell her!
But know, I was refering to the art. And no I don't cast TOS vipers.
Old April 27th, 2006, 12:39 PM   #22
jjrakman

Quote:
And no I don't cast TOS vipers.
That sucks, I would have rather bought one from you than from someone else.
Old April 27th, 2006, 04:44 PM   #23
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Here's the latest!
And she'll be posted on e-bay tonight.
And Gordon.....YES, I'll do the chick on the laser cannon!
Old April 28th, 2006, 01:51 AM   #24
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

New progress Pics!!!

Old April 28th, 2006, 04:19 PM   #25
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Here she is!!!!

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE%3AIT&rd=1
Old April 29th, 2006, 02:14 AM   #26
Carbon Monoxide
Shuttle Pilot

If only I had an extra $170 bucks to spend =/
Carbon Monoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2006, 02:56 PM   #27
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon Monoxide
If only I had an extra $170 bucks to spend =/
Hey...Glad to know you. Welcome to the Fleets!
Old April 29th, 2006, 06:04 PM   #28
oldwardaggit
You old war daggit!

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner/Webmaster
RadioGalactica

Really great stuff and it's just freaking me out how everyone is doing so much in the Galactica world to keep her alive. Plus it's really good to hear that Tom Desanto is keeping active in the Galactica Universe. He truely is the number 1 fan.

OWD

OWD
oldwardaggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2006, 06:36 PM   #29
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwardaggit
Really great stuff and it's just freaking me out how everyone is doing so much in the Galactica world to keep her alive. Plus it's really good to hear that Tom Desanto is keeping active in the Galactica Universe. He truely is the number 1 fan.

OWD
Thank You so much! You don't know how much that means to hear all these awesome compliments.
It gives more wind in my sails to keep going.
I really appreciate it.
Nice to know you.
Old April 29th, 2006, 07:17 PM   #30
oldwardaggit
You old war daggit!

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner/Webmaster
RadioGalactica

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSquad2001
Thank You so much! You don't know how much that means to hear all these awesome compliments.
It gives more wind in my sails to keep going.
I really appreciate it.
Nice to know you.
No problem my friend.
With the great drought the Galactica fans had in the last few years or as we like to call it, the sea of an endless void, It's totally awesome that your forming a link between Tom and the fans just as a few others here have.

Plus your one hell of an artist. Drawing is something I always wished I could do but just never could see the image in my mind enough to draw it. Unlike music where if I can hear it, I can play it or at least for the most part.

I'm also glad that you and Tom are giving Ernie's site a look at because he has really worked hard to get all the Galactica fan productions on one site to promote what we all know as to be the next biggest sci fi franchise in the history of sci fi.

Oh by the way, If you see something stamped with T. Shawn Hardy or just Shawn Hardy on it, There is a good possibility it might be me unless you think it's bad and in that case it's definitely me. LOL

OWD

OWD
oldwardaggit is offline   Reply With Quote