Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old April 7th, 2009, 08:34 PM   #1
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default BSG: TOS....works in mysterious ways!

I have to tell you, it's been quite a while since I pulled my DVD set out. I mean, last September, I watched Saga of a Star World on 9/17/09 for the 30th anniversary, but that's been about it for a long time.

After the recent completion of the "you know what" series, and seeing a thread on Skiffy regarding someone that had never watched the original, but was potentially interested in either watching or buying the DVD set, it kind of sparked something inside. I started watching all of the documentary materials in the set and then watched "The Living Legend", then "War of the Gods" and moved on to the cutscenes for each of those episodes as well. This week, I watched "Saga of a Star World", "Lost Planet of the Gods" and even the first part of "Greetings From Earth" along with the associated cutscenes too.

Re-familiarizing myself with the original series had an interesting reaction over the weekend. I had a dream that I don't remember too much of, but the part that I do remember was about getting a call from Glen Larson to tell me that he was making a movie and that he wanted to have Colonial Fleets be the official site to host the updates during production. (This is the mysterious ways part!)

It's been quite fun actually because with all the activity in regards to costuming here at CF, I've been reminded of the days when my friend Ernie and I called Mark Peterson (the costume supervisor for BSG back in the day) to get info on where to source materials for making our own costumes. I never made use of the information back then, but the research was still fun. I've found myself doing a bit of surfing on the net in regards to looking up costume items - some of which can be taken care of very easily by doing a bit of DIY effort and others can be found ready made in some cases provided that you want to shell out the cash.

It's just so weird that I find myself approaching the age of 49, but thinking of the same things I was thinking about when I was only 19!

All in all, it's still a lot of fun. I'll move forward on the costume stuff, but with my current budget restrictions it's gonna take a while to get a whole costume together if I manage it.

I really do love this show and it's really great to re-discover it all over again, even if it is 30 years later!

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 10:53 PM   #2
Sarika
Strike Leader

Default Re: BSG: TOS....works in mysterious ways!

BSG remain sever fresh and as wonderful as the first time I ever watched it as a very young girl! Wonderful post and dream Gemini!

The Last Piscon Siress

HSH Princess Sarika Her Highness' MySpace
Sarika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 03:51 AM   #3
JLHurley
Warrior

I've been listening to BG in my car/truck since I was old enough to drive (1980 or 81)--first using audio tapes made with a little tape recorder I placed next to the TV during the series original run, then using audio tapes I made from a stereo system hooked up to my TV/VCR while the series was briefly repeated later in the 80s, and finally with "home made" CDs once the DVD set was released. But truth be told I've probably sat through the DVDs only once. A couple months ago I got a rather large plasma TV and started watching an episode every Friday or Saturday night and have reallllllly enjoyed doing so. I've long stopped being miserable over not getting more of the original series and moved on to appreciating what we actually did get--and it was pretty darn great.
Old April 8th, 2009, 04:07 AM   #4
gmd3d
Major

Nice to hear these old fond recollections Bryan.. its been awhile since I have watched BSG and remember the same fondness ...... I feel the same urge to see it again

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 08:09 AM   #5
Kester Pelagius
Bad Email Address

Bryan,

It may not be BSG, per se, but I've starte posted Galactica Saga. Should tickle your nostalgia bone. Just pop over to the Library and find the thread titled, what else, Galactica Saga, and start reading.

Hope you find it fun and entertaining.

Kind Regards,

Kester Pelagius
Kester Pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 04:04 PM   #6
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

Bryan,

That is one hell of a dream, and one I personally hope comes true

If you need any help putting together a costume, don't hesitate to ask And any research you have would be more then appricated

Classic fan, and die hard!
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 12:54 PM   #7
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Bryan, that was pretty cool. I find it pretty amazing how Battlestar keeps a hold on my imagination. I was two years old when the show originally aired.

My parents were actually the ones who were hooked back then, along with my Uncles. They built the models, read Starlog. We watched every week and then eventually we would sit as a family and watch the reruns when it was paired with Buck Rogers.

I can remember running around the playground in Kindergarten playing Battlestar with the other kids. The swings made for pretty decent vipers!

Out of all the Sci Fi I am into, Battlestar is the only one that keeps that child like sense of wonder in my imagination. I love it. Besides that it has brought me into this fan community where I have met some of the coolest people on the planet!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
-Albert Einstein
monolith21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 10:08 PM   #8
Sarika
Strike Leader

Oh that's such an adorable story, Mark!

I think BSG inspired the many interests and ideas that were presented in the series and background, that have molded me to be who I have always been and am still today.

I would have been 5 yahrens at the original time of the show being aired in the US. I believe I we didn't get the show on our North QLD network here down under until I was about 7 or 8 years old!
In November 1979, my family and I went to Germany for a family vacation, spent with my german relatives for Xmas and I also celebrated my 7th birthday there as well in March, returning to Australia in late March or early April 1980. I seem to think, that my family weren't watching BSG until after our return home. It was then that BSG ingnited my passion for astronomy, space travel, mythology, astrology, ancient history/pre-history, archeaology and antiquity.
These things have stayed with me!
And the story of BSG has ever remained in my heart ever since!
My whole family used to watch it on Friday nights!
I lived for Fridays!

The Last Piscon Siress

HSH Princess Sarika Her Highness' MySpace
Sarika is offline   Reply With Quote