Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old November 26th, 2005, 11:04 AM   #1
Centurion Draco
Equal rights for Cylons!

Default G80 Thoughts. OMG Dr Zee, have we done you wrong?

Well, I've been thinking about G80, and please bear in mind that I've never actually seen the whole series, only the first seven or so episodes about 15-20 years ago. (and the pilot again recently)

But anyway, as we all know, this series was pretty ghastly in places. A lot of places.
I've had a look at a couple of sites that mention it's 'history' and the problems that caused it to turn out the way it did, and thats kind of made me look at it 'differently'.

For instance, I read that the last scene of the last episode was Adama telling Dr Zee that he came to the fleet as a baby in a ship (in a sort of Superman way I guess).
When I read this it seemed to 'click' into place.
Was Dr Zee actually an attempt by the 'higher beings' of the Ships of light to directly interfere and help the Galacticans?
Of course it was!
Hence the light and white suit and supreme intuition that he seems to have.
It explains why Adama trusts him and defers to his opinion so readily.
So would he have been a sort of 'messiah' to counter the evil of Iblis?
A mortal 'light being' to bring balance to the force (oops, no that was something else )

Had everyone already realised this? Am I just 25 years too late?
In amongst the hideousness of 'Super Scouts' and all, did we overlook Dr Zee as just another annoying little brat, when he was actually a great idea, badly implimented in a show crippled by bad decisions?

Anyone know of any early scripts or script ideas that predate the network butchering any good ideas that Larson may have had?

Thoughts???
Centurion Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2005, 07:21 PM   #2
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

Quote:
In amongst the hideousness of 'Super Scouts' and all, did we overlook Dr Zee as just another annoying little brat, when he was actually a great idea, badly implimented in a show crippled by bad decisions?
Yes for me any way.
Another Film Maker
Sept17th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2005, 11:24 PM   #3
Lara
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurian Draco
For instance, I read that the last scene of the last episode was Adama telling Dr Zee that he came to the fleet as a baby in a ship (in a sort of Superman way I guess).
When I read this it seemed to 'click' into place.
Was Dr Zee actually an attempt by the 'higher beings' of the Ships of light to directly interfere and help the Galacticans?
Of course it was!
Hence the light and white suit and supreme intuition that he seems to have.
It explains why Adama trusts him and defers to his opinion so readily.
So would he have been a sort of 'messiah' to counter the evil of Iblis?
A mortal 'light being' to bring balance to the force (oops, no that was something else )

Had everyone already realised this? Am I just 25 years too late?

Thoughts???
My thoughts..

from what I recall, the inference was Zee was somehow the offspring of Stabuck and "Angela"...remember the baby that appeared in the Return of Starbuck that he duly gave his modified ship up for the two of them ? But kiddie time on a US network in the early 80's couldn't go into where the baby came from (galactic cabbage patches, anyone??) and it would have been easy to assume she had conceived before she turned up, but it was all a little obscure and mystical (And I'm not sure I'm remembering the plotline right)

So the super scounts stuff was a network-pleasing red herring.: cheap, kiddie time viewing.
I believe only the Return of Starbuck ep had anything of the potential content of a second series of BSG. In this, the Zee/beings of light/ Starbuck connexion could have been a mangled version of something 'bigger'

Larson could have been tapping/using any of the several versions of early bible stories that are NOT considered canon by the mainstream churches, or even some of the Mormon writings, all which mention beings of lights/ angelic types getting to know the daughters of eve and their offspring being 'great'

In fact the Genesis 6:4 that von Daniken makes a big deal about , has references to the Sons of Gods knowing the daughters of men etc etc, but that is usually taken to mean the fallen angels not the good ones )

All in all it could have done with a thoroughly good rewrite before being filmed..

Cheers,
Lara
Old November 27th, 2005, 06:36 PM   #4
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Starbuck was more of a "God Father" or Step Father to Zee, since Angela was already pregnant when Cy found her (maybe Cy is the real father!)
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2005, 11:03 PM   #5
Lara
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior
Starbuck was more of a "God Father" or Step Father to Zee, since Angela was already pregnant when Cy found her (maybe Cy is the real father!)
thanks for the clarification. Its been a while since I've seen it.

Cy, huh? So we have Cylons in the Cabbage Patch? Well the old model wasn't doing too bad to pull a chick like that! Must be something about a man in a chromium uniform.. I guess beings of light - types would be fond of their own reflection..wait a sec, perhaps thats were the glomesh aliens come from on the SoL in WotG!!

Cheers,
Lara
Old November 28th, 2005, 01:45 AM   #6
Senmut
Strike Leader

I think this is right on the cubits. Yet another great concept shot to shreds by the Nitwerk suits.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2005, 11:34 AM   #7
Centurion Draco
Equal rights for Cylons!

Its so weird to think that of all the hated aspects of G80, the absolute focus of most peoples dislike of it, might be a big missed opportunity!
Dr Zee, could perhaps have been an idea originally destined for season two, a mystic seer child, a messiah to lead the Galacticans to the promised land, or IMHO to counter the evil of Iblis.
We know the 'light people' exist outside of time/space, so would a mortal child of their's be able to see alternative futures in a similar way to Trance on Andromeda?

You can imagine the network exec's listening to these ideas and then saying: 'Yeah great, but put the kid in charge! Give him glasses, hell put a whole bunch of super kids in the show'.
Old November 29th, 2005, 06:18 AM   #8
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Yeah, for the most part, this stuff has been around for the past 25 years or so. All I know is that I did not like Zee nor all the kids stuff and after getting very excited about the new show, I was left sort of wanting more than what we got.

But I still loved the flying bikes since they were originally made for an unfilmed episode of the original BSG!!!!!

https://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2005, 07:04 AM   #9
Centurion Draco
Equal rights for Cylons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charybdis
Yeah, for the most part, this stuff has been around for the past 25 years or so. All I know is that I did not like Zee nor all the kids stuff and after getting very excited about the new show, I was left sort of wanting more than what we got.

But I still loved the flying bikes since they were originally made for an unfilmed episode of the original BSG!!!!!
Hey Charybdis!
Speaking of which.....
Is that Viper flying yet?
Old November 29th, 2005, 08:19 AM   #10
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Oh yeah, check out the Finished Artwork section and find my thread on the BSG fan films to download my last film "Ensign Annie."

BTW, Don has my latest creation and will be uploading it any day now. My next installment of the Callisto is called "Brothers of Man." We find out that we are not alone!

It features a crudely done green screen chroma key shot that I really have to work on, but it's a first for me...

also, if you ever wanted to see me wearing a bedsheet, this is it baby!!!!

Stay tuned for downloading info soon...

https://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote