Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old May 1st, 2003, 01:09 PM   #1
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

A bit of a shocker -

A respected thespian, Edward James Olmos has, apparently, repudiated and rejected the views and desires of the vast fanbase that we, here, purport to represent.

A link to this article is featured prominently on >ahem< another web site; I will not reference it nor link to it. However, here is a link directly to the interview:

https://www.myinky.com/ecp/entertainm...927423,00.html

An excerpt:

Quote:
"If you're a staunch purist, then you won't like it," he said in a phone interview last week. "But if you're open to a new look at that situation, you might."

In the original series, humans traveling in "a rag-tag fleet" of ships in the deepest reaches of space set out on a quest for Earth, pursued by evil robots called Cylons.

In the new version, Olmos said, it's impossible to tell Cylons from humans, "which poses a tremendously difficult problem that's speaking directly to cloning, which we face in this world today."

Still, he realizes regardless of the relevance of the new "Battlestar Galactica," some fans will object.

"There's no two ways around it," Olmos said. "If I were a purist, I wouldn't watch it. Don't waste your time. Get the old version on DVD. Don't hurt yourself. Don't go through the pain."
I find myself dismayed...

and angered

I await the Council's direction.

Long Live the REAL Galactica!

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2003, 01:15 PM   #2
LordStarFyre
Warrior

Default Well, I have a Message for Olmos

...Next time you get involved in a Cause Mr. Olmos, Don't waste your Time. We'll will be there to help those opposed to you, and your Cause. Don't go through the pain"
LordStarFyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2003, 01:16 PM   #3
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

I'm sure we'll find many creative ways to use his words...Edward has given us a gift.

Coming Soon to a Board near you...purist=Disco 70's Hair
Another Film Maker
Sept17th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2003, 01:48 PM   #4
sdoziernc1
Bad Email Address

Default Getting my popcorn elsewhere...

These fools don't realize..."Battlestar Galactica" is like the original "Star Trek" to some people. I was talking to my cousin the other night about our DVD collections, and I told him that I had all of the original "Star Trek" and "Space: 1999" episodes. Then I told him that I wanted to get "Galactica" on DVD, and I proceeded to tell him of the new production, which he wasn't aware of. When I explanined to him that it was nothing like the original (with a female Starbuck, 90210 storylines, humaniod Cylons having sex with humans, the obvious anti-military references and everything else wrong with this production), he couldn't stop laughing. Then he shook his head and said "What a bunch of PC BS".

Don't worry, Edward...I don't plan to waste my time with Moore's "Galactica", and I'm sure a lot of other people will feel the same way when they realize that this is NOT "Galactica". Like Michael said, he has received emails from people who have seen the promos on the SCIFI channel, thinking that the "Battlestar Galactica" that we all knew & loved was coming back in a new production, similar to "Star Trek" TOS, only to get all upset (and in some instances, take it out on him) when they found out that it was going to be the reimagined "Battlestar Trek 90210".

This is going to blow up in Ronnie, Bonnie & Eccy's faces...mark my words.
sdoziernc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2003, 02:43 PM   #5
AlternityOrange
Warrior

COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

I believe I have a new signature. Yes, I do indeed. Too good to pass up, thanks Edward!

-Edward James Olmos
AlternityOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2003, 02:45 PM   #6
Cosmic Cleric

Default I am not a purist ...

... I am a fan.
Old May 1st, 2003, 03:39 PM   #7
Scooter2000
COMPLETELY BANNED

Quote:
Originally posted by AlternityOrange
I believe I have a new signature. Yes, I do indeed. Too good to pass up, thanks Edward!
Oh great I change my signature so I won't have to roam around with the same one and now you go out and get yourself a new one.

-Ronald D. Moore-
Scooter2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2003, 03:46 PM   #8
AlternityOrange
Warrior

COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

LOL Scoot. I fully intended to release the original signature to the masses but there just wasn't another one that appropriately illustrated the utter-crappiness of the remake until now. If it makes you feel better though I'm perfectly willing to share this one. I think we should print it on billboards :-)

-Edward James Olmos
AlternityOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2003, 04:21 PM   #9
KJ
Strike Leader

Quote:
"There's no two ways around it," Olmos said. "If I were a purist, I wouldn't watch it. Don't waste your time. Get the old version on DVD. Don't hurt yourself. Don't go through the pain."
Gotta admit i like the fact the man is honest to us. But when will you ever hear a hollywood actor admit to anyone, quote unquote: "Well ya know folks seriously, i'm in it for the money? The bottom dollar!, The old George Washington people? Yeah yeah i know, the script really stinks it really does, but hey life sucks S*** happens"

I, like you all am passionate for Galactica as a fan but what do you expect, being realistic about it, their are bound to say those things since they are doing what puts food on their tables and pays bills? WORK! (yeah i know, crappy work i would hate seeing come end of the year)

But nothing that goes on now surprises me anymore!

KJ
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2003, 08:10 PM   #10
Flamingo Girl
Squadron Leader

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

The man is an actor, and for every decent acting job out there, there are a hundred decent actors hoping to do it. He does admit that it is different than what we are expecting, so he is aware of our feelings, but he has bills to pay.

"Dirk's always wanted to make love with himself, and now he could succeed!!!"
RH
Flamingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2003, 08:36 PM   #11
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

I am upset too as it seems many of you are, but I must admit it takes some class to put down your own production and advise a large group of people not to watch it. That's pretty surprising, since most of the comments we have seen so far are "like it or else" kinda stuff.

He said it would cause us, "Pain". Wow. There is a glimmer of understanding in the darkness, of just HOW we feel...

If they only knew how deep that pain is...

Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2003, 08:39 PM   #12
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Now that I've had time to think about it, I do appreciate the fact he didn't lie to us. I just wish he hadn't come across so coldly inconsiderate of the feelings of some multple thousands of fans.

He has an agenda, apparently; whether it coincides with the Axis of Evil's or not, since ours doesn't mesh with his it is dismissed.

At least he had the decency not to lie to our faces. Forgive me if I'm not effusive in my thanks.

Long Live the REAL Galactica!

I am
Dawg

Edit: Well said, Muffit.

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2003, 09:19 PM   #13
repcisg
Bad Email Address

I find this very curious indeed. First we have RDM telling us take a walk and now the central star. What gives? What am I missing here?

Where is the Universal publicity department, these statements should never have seen the light of day. RDM and Olmos should have both the marketing and publicity departments pinning them to the floor sewing their mouths shut. This is unheard of no corporation would allow a major rep, such as Olmos, to badmouth a major project!

Here we have a major star telling the viewing audience they may not want to watch his work? Does it stink that bad? Is he really saying this stinks so bad it will most likely end up in the sub basement of the Universal dead film vault.

This sort of thing only serves to reinforce my opinion that the new mini is just there to “Preserve the Property” a legal maneuver and nothing else.

So I think what Olmos is telling us, he got suckered into playing the part – he can’t get out of his contract – he really wants to do another season of "American Family" than a single episode of BSG2003 – and please don’t watch, just pretend it’s a bad rewrite of G80 and file it away accordingly.
repcisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2003, 03:55 PM   #14
SeoulWind

What an appropriate title for this thread... Call me a bit slow, but all this time I thought RDM was "re-imagining" for purely selfish reasons. Olmos' comment about cloning made it all click into place for me - this mini-series is being used to make a political statement. Cloning is just one facet of it.

I remember now, comments about the relevance of this project vis 9-11. There are those who believe (heh) that what happened that day was our own fault. I may be crazy, but I'm seeing this opinion reflected in this project now...

This isn't what BSG is about! If you have to compare it to 9-11, then it would be about the heroic struggle that the survivors, the rescue crews, and the families of those who perished went through. I've always thought that these were the times when a story like the real BSG was needed...

Shocked in Seoul!

Mark Snyder

PS: I had a long rant written about RDM's use of the word 'flawed' to describe his characters and how it really applied to the entire production. It's even more appropriate now, but it really just covers ground already better traveled by others here... Holy cow...
Old May 4th, 2003, 07:13 PM   #15
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

Quote:
Originally posted by SeoulWind

PS: I had a long rant written about RDM's use of the word 'flawed' to describe his characters and how it really applied to the entire production. It's even more appropriate now, but it really just covers ground already better traveled by others here... Holy cow...
Welcome Mark, please post your rant about "flawed" it's important that people know many-many feel the same way. This is no secret...so it goes like this, over the next few weeks while DeSanto's X2 is raking in bucks we let the studio know that we are unhappy. That every new face learning about Moore's mini-series is unhappy.

So friend go forth and post your rant at

https://www.scifi.com/mbb/browse.php?tid=1

and many other forums and around the water cooler. When posting here choose the right section probably Galactica 2003 How to Fix It.

If you post in the wrong spot I'm sure the friendly mods will excuse a new commer

Another Film Maker
Sept17th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2003, 09:12 PM   #16
bsg1fan1975
Major

Mr. Olmos doesn't know BSG from a bad 70's movie!

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2003, 06:47 AM   #17
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default Free Publicity

EJO gave us what we needed:PUBLICITY. He acnowledged the fan base so we do exist despite what Ronnie, Bonnie, and Davie may say.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2003, 06:28 PM   #18
Ravishol
Bad Email Address

Have not posted in a while but some how I was compelled to respond.

I can not think of a single reason why Almos would say this.

"But if you're open to a new look at that situation, you might."

You might?

You might?

You might?

Seems like their spending a lot of money for a "might"

It's a good thing actors are not business men.

If I were SciFi or Universal I would be all over this guy.

Between Moore and Almos, I'm not sure which one sticks their foot in their mouth moore. (Pun intended)
Ravishol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2003, 08:11 PM   #19
BSG_Sci_FiPulse
Warrior

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner/Webmaster
SciFiPulse.net

To quote Mr Spock, Fascinating, now makes me wonder how many of us will vote for this guy if he is ever nominated for another Academy Award.

Yes I know it is a shameless plug but I am the one that has to live with it.
BSG_Sci_FiPulse is offline   Reply With Quote