Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old June 18th, 2003, 02:59 PM   #1
captmiloman
Bad Email Address

Default I Have Returned

I saw my name on that god awful list that JJ posted on the Sci-Fi board. I have decided to check out the mini-series when it airs in December to judge it based on the final product. Does this make me a clone? No it doesn't. I have been and always will be a fan of TOS. All this clone business has taken the fun out of Galactica. Just because someone states that they're willing to watch the re-imagined version doesn't make them a clone nor does it mean that they're a Moore supporter. Before the anouncement of the reimagining, I had never even heard the name Ronald D. Moore. I'm also a Star Wars fan, but other than American Grafitti, I haven't really been interested in any of George Lucas' work. I would have preferred either Richard Hatch or Tom DeSanto/Bryan Singer at the helm of this miniseries, but I guess that's not going to happen. I'm just tired of fighting a losing battle. At this point, the only new Galactica production that will see the light of day will be the reimained version, so I guess I'll have to take what I can get. If I like what I see, then I'll sing the praises of it. If I hate it, then I know who to write to and complain about it. That's all I have to say, thank you.
captmiloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2003, 03:03 PM   #2
captmiloman
Bad Email Address

Default Whoops...

I think I put the above post in the wrong spot. If someone could move it to the proper place, that would be great, thanks.
Old June 18th, 2003, 03:13 PM   #3
jjrakman

Sorry if you took offense at that Miloman, but I was getting real tired of trying to figure out if the person I responding to was real or some invented personality with an agenda. And there was method to my madness, believe me. I meant only to ruffle a few feathers, see what repsonses I'd get, and see if I couldn't flush out a few gophers. Maybe Jewels is right and I'm looking too much into the clone thing. But then again, it's kind of funny how the sci-fi board has quieted a bit. Anyway glad to see your here, and sorry if your angry.
Old June 18th, 2003, 03:36 PM   #4
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

I, for one, will take you at face value until proven otherwise. Just for the record.

There are those who genuinely liked the original series, but are willing to watch the mini because it's the first thing with the "Battlestar Galactica" name on it in 25 years. It sounds to me like you fit that description.

Never mind that what you will be watching is not Battlestar Galactica. All but a few obvious, token images from the original were used: the Exodus story, the Viper, a few names (which have been perverted into callsigns). None of the meat of the story remain - but then, you've probably seen all the discussions about that, so I won't go any further.

Speaking just for myself, I question how much of a "fan" of the original someone is who knows as much as we do about the remake and still is willing to give it a chance. I don't doubt that you liked the series when it originally played, but to knowingly acknowledge this pale imitation - hell, it's not even that - as BSG (which is what you are doing by watching) is not the hallmark of a TOS fan.

Now, if this had not come about as a remake of BSG, it might have been pretty good. But it's wrapped in the name, which brings expectations, which it fails dismally to live up to. That's why a true fan of BSG is not just sitting back and letting this go on unremarked upon - the true fan is doing what he or she can to spread the word that this is a sorry misrepresentation of what it could and should have been. And, showing the powers that be that a continuation would be widely accepted.

You are entitled to your opinion, captmiloman, and I will support your right to have it and express it. You can sit back and wait, not do anything, you have a perfect right to that. I do not, however, share that attitude.

Obviously.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2003, 05:28 PM   #5
captmiloman
Bad Email Address

I've been following what's been happening with the campaign to bring back TOS in its original form(continuation) for quite some time. I even signed the original petition directed at FOX. I've also been following what's been happening with the re-imagining, so I do know somewhat to expect. I've also sent email to various radio personailties on behalf of the continuation supporters requesting they do what they can to promote the TOS revival campaign. I've also suggested they check out the petitions, not to mention Battlestar Galactica.com. You can say I'm in the middle of this one. I really would prefer to see the original continued, but there's a few things that I do like about the re-imagined version as well. As with any passtime, when it's no longer enjoyable or it becomes stressful or overwhelming then it's time to walk away from it for a little while.
Old June 18th, 2003, 08:41 PM   #6
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan Force

I'd agree with that sentiment. And I had no idea you were so involved in the pro-continuation side. Apologies if I offended in any way; I guess I'm kind of wrapped up in it myself.

I would like to know, though, how you see this production as "Battlestar Galactica", beyond the name and the few symbols that are being used.

Thanks.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Old June 20th, 2003, 03:51 PM   #7
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan Force

Bump!

I did not mean that question faceciously, milo, at all. I'm being quite serious. If there is something that says "this is Battlestar Galactica" to you, I'd like to know what it is.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

Tombs of Kobol