Automan 1 16.67%
The Misfits of Science 0 0%
Anything that involves Ron Moore or David Eickes 4 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 19th, 2009, 01:20 PM   #1
Damocles
Bad Email Address

The Last Person

Default Pick your favorite stinker Science Fiction series as the worst.

Vote on the worst of the wors.

My nominees are

1. Manimal
2. Supertrain
3. V; the Series
4. The Starlost
5. The Misfits of Science
6. Seaquest
7. Star Trek; the Next Generation^1
8. Automan
9. Holmes and Yo Yo
10. Any series that involves He Who Shall Not Be Named and Little Icky.
That includes any remakes of The Bionic Woman or any other noble franchise they can screw up.

^1 I hate Jean Luc Pickacardanycard!
Damocles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 07:27 PM   #2
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Default Re: Pick your favorite stinker Science Fiction series as the worst.

You left off the Skiffy abomination they called "Flash Gordon". It is, by far, worse than any of your nominations.

BTW - Starlost was a great concept that wasn't executed properly, and ST:TNG wasn't that bad. Seaquest's first season was pretty good. Misfits of Science even had its moments. ANd "He Who Shall Not Be Named" actually did some good work on ST:TNG and DS9.

I think you need to revamp your poll.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 08:09 PM   #3
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
You left off the Skiffy abomination they called "Flash Gordon". It is, by far, worse than any of your nominations.

BTW - Starlost was a great concept that wasn't executed properly, and ST:TNG wasn't that bad. Seaquest's first season was pretty good. Misfits of Science even had its moments. ANd "He Who Shall Not Be Named" actually did some good work on ST:TNG and DS9.

I think you need to revamp your poll.
John -

I agree with you there.... The Starlost suffered from a very small budget, being filmed on video taped and having "magicam" effects with poorly crafted miniatures instead of decent matte paintings or quality miniature work. Quite a few of the scripts are more than decent, but the quality of the VFX pulls the series down. In my eyes, it's really not much worse (or better) than what Doctor Who episodes from the UK looked like at the time.

In terms of Seaquest, the network kept stepping in and revamping the show with each passing season. It really was hard to latch onto the show in terms of story, characters and setting, because those elements kept changing. They never really gave the audience the time to grow into the show, because they kept changing them out at the drop of a hat. Imagine what TNG might have been like if Paramount kept insisting on drastic format revamps during the first 3 years of the seven year run...we might not have gotten that far.

In this particular case, maybe the thread might have been better if it was a "name your least favorite episode of your favorite Sci Fi show" and you'd get a more interesting mix. If you start a poll based on one person's opinion of what good Sci Fi and what bad Sci Fi is, then you wind up having people saying "you need to take this show out and put that show in" or having a discussion about what shows are liked by some and disliked by others.

Everyone's got different tastes - some people's "best" are someone else's "worst"....

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 09:35 PM   #4
Damocles
Bad Email Address

The Last Person

Not a problem. You have valid viewpoints.

All I was asked to do was to try and pick some stinkers and compose a choose a stinler poll. I picked ten stinkers that I could say were real stinkers. They are my ten stinkers, not necessarily someone elses'.

I could of course spend pages of "opinion" justifying the ten I chose and bruise feelings along the way, but that is not what this debate here is about. It is about letting people have their say about what makes a stinker a stinker to them, and keeping my own comments strictly to the merits of their observations and allowing each and every one of us the due respect that their valid opinion deserves.

For example: many people like Star Trek: The Next Generation. I despise it for lousy acting, bad artwork, poor stories: Patrick Stewart, Johathan Frakes, Gates McFadden, Wil Wheaton, Marina Sirtis, etc. about the only actors I could stand among that smug self righteous exercise in overacted preachiness and pomposity was Michael Dorn and Levar Burton, and sometimes I wasn't certain about Levar. This was the first sample of what I came to call Berman Drek.

I despised Enterprise for much the same reason: in addition it was an objectificationh of prurience and teen boy fantasies overmasked by ray guns and space ships.

Those are my opinions. Its why the Star Trek series made the list. Starlost made the list for other reasons (production values and wooden acting). Seaquest because it was a vastly inferior Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea....but that is my opinion.

What I ask is that you give an opinion for a stinler and name your own stinker. Vote in the poll if you want, but have fun.

D.

P.S: He Who Shall Not Be Named is a terrible writer and something of a ripoff artist who steals others' concepts and ideas and screws them up completely. I am reminded of an episode of Space Above and Beyond that featured "Chiggy von Richtofen". The talentless hack writer thief stole that idea for an episode called "Scar" that featured a space fighter of the same name, "Scar".

Very badly written and poorly directed that episode was. If you steal an idea, then the least you can do is try to execute it well. Cannot say that I ever saw He Who Shall Not be Named come up with something original or well written-EVER.
Old March 21st, 2009, 09:28 PM   #5
Damocles
Bad Email Address

The Last Person

With the crappy Skiffy Flash Gordon mentioned, I thought I would sneak this turkey in.

Old March 21st, 2009, 09:34 PM   #6
Damocles
Bad Email Address

The Last Person

Old March 21st, 2009, 09:37 PM   #7
Damocles
Bad Email Address

The Last Person

Old March 21st, 2009, 09:39 PM   #8
Damocles
Bad Email Address

The Last Person

Old March 21st, 2009, 09:40 PM   #9
Damocles
Bad Email Address

The Last Person

Old March 21st, 2009, 09:42 PM   #10
Damocles
Bad Email Address

The Last Person

Old March 21st, 2009, 09:43 PM   #11
Damocles
Bad Email Address

The Last Person

Old March 21st, 2009, 09:45 PM   #12
Damocles
Bad Email Address

The Last Person

Old March 21st, 2009, 09:47 PM   #13
Damocles
Bad Email Address

The Last Person

For Dawg.

D.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 02:17 PM   #14
Athene
Galactica's Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
Vote on the worst of the wors.

My nominees are

1. Manimal
2. Supertrain
3. V; the Series
4. The Starlost
5. The Misfits of Science
6. Seaquest
7. Star Trek; the Next Generation^1
8. Automan
9. Holmes and Yo Yo
10. Any series that involves He Who Shall Not Be Named and Little Icky.
That includes any remakes of The Bionic Woman or any other noble franchise they can screw up.

^1 I hate Jean Luc Pickacardanycard!
I agree with most of the list except for Star Trek: The Next Generation. I think that 's a really high quality show and I really enjoyed that series.

Battlestar Earth admin
Galactica's Princess admin
Battlestar Galactica Club Board Theme/Avatar Keeper
Athene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 02:29 PM   #15
Athene
Galactica's Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
Not a problem. You have valid viewpoints.

All I was asked to do was to try and pick some stinkers and compose a choose a stinler poll. I picked ten stinkers that I could say were real stinkers. They are my ten stinkers, not necessarily someone elses'.

I could of course spend pages of "opinion" justifying the ten I chose and bruise feelings along the way, but that is not what this debate here is about. It is about letting people have their say about what makes a stinker a stinker to them, and keeping my own comments strictly to the merits of their observations and allowing each and every one of us the due respect that their valid opinion deserves.

For example: many people like Star Trek: The Next Generation. I despise it for lousy acting, bad artwork, poor stories: Patrick Stewart, Johathan Frakes, Gates McFadden, Wil Wheaton, Marina Sirtis, etc. about the only actors I could stand among that smug self righteous exercise in overacted preachiness and pomposity was Michael Dorn and Levar Burton, and sometimes I wasn't certain about Levar. This was the first sample of what I came to call Berman Drek.

I despised Enterprise for much the same reason: in addition it was an objectificationh of prurience and teen boy fantasies overmasked by ray guns and space ships.

Those are my opinions. Its why the Star Trek series made the list. Starlost made the list for other reasons (production values and wooden acting). Seaquest because it was a vastly inferior Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea....but that is my opinion.

What I ask is that you give an opinion for a stinler and name your own stinker. Vote in the poll if you want, but have fun.

D.

P.S: He Who Shall Not Be Named is a terrible writer and something of a ripoff artist who steals others' concepts and ideas and screws them up completely. I am reminded of an episode of Space Above and Beyond that featured "Chiggy von Richtofen". The talentless hack writer thief stole that idea for an episode called "Scar" that featured a space fighter of the same name, "Scar".

Very badly written and poorly directed that episode was. If you steal an idea, then the least you can do is try to execute it well. Cannot say that I ever saw He Who Shall Not be Named come up with something original or well written-EVER.
Those are very interesting points that you came up with.
I really liked how respectfully you made your comments and I really appreciated that.
I'm interested in seeing what other people come up with.
I'm compiling a list myself.
It's gonna be interesting!

Battlestar Earth admin
Galactica's Princess admin
Battlestar Galactica Club Board Theme/Avatar Keeper
Athene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 05:59 PM   #16
Aphrodite
Socialator

I can't vote on this one. Some of those shows I liked and others I've never heard of so I can't vote for those either.

Aphrodite's Facebook Page
Battlestar Galactica Club
GalacticaBBS Global Moderator
Battlestar FanclubWebsite Moderator

Aphrodite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 09:46 PM   #17
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

I can't vote on this one either.....and HEY! I loved the animated Flash Gordon series.